Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought a 2008 gl1800. I live in CT so I have not ridden the bike yet due to winter. I started reading the gl1800riders web site andam sorry I bought the bike.

I thought it was the ultimate touring bike. Lots of peoplehave writtenin and complain about coolant leak problems. They go to the dealer or tear off the top shelf and take out the gas tank to get to all the hose clamps to tighten. Is this that big of an issue.

With no miles on the bike I would not lose to much if I just turned around and sold it. Any thoughts.

Tommy James

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
imported post

Hi Tommy the 1800 have had issues like most bikes. If the bike is under warranty I'd bring it back to the dealer and they should sort it out for you. The 1800's are great bikes so don't get discouraged yet. Spring is coming and you'll be able to put on some miles and enjoy the bike. Keep us informed on the fix. You've probably read all the bad things at one thread because that's where you write in for help. I've heard more good things about the 1800's than bad and they are atop line touring bike. Call the dealer and see what they say OK.:waving:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Welcome Tommy from Southern California, I'm sure you will get this sorted out and will enjoy your wing as so many others do.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Haven't heard of this as being a widespread issue. :baffled:

Being a 2008 this needs to go back to the dealer to sort under warrenty I would have thought.

I have a 2006 and not one spot of bother with it as yet, loving every minute of it, having had most of the previous models.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

:) I to have an 08 goldwing,taz now got 250 miles on it and i can't report any coolant leaks,as yet anyway. Do have an issue with the trunk lid,but think that problem is wide spread.If you got painted plastic or what ever kind of moulded plastic it's made of rubbing or chaffing against the same sort of material,it's only gonna do one thing,and that's wear the paint away.Not gonna make a big issue about this,i have just lined the upper section of the lid with electrical insulation tape. put 120 miles on the bike on sunday,checked the trunk on returning home and hey presto,a little bit of tape has cured it. Your problem my friend is just a teething problem,hope you get it sorted though.:) burkey.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!!! :waving:

I hope you find the Forum as informative and as much fun as we do!!:cooldevil:

Again, Welcome Aboard!!
:action:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Victour78 wrote:
But ! he didn't say he had a coolant leak, He said he read about so many others with them. That would be like 1 in 4000 So the Odds of him getting a leak is Slim...
Welcome !! Ride and enjoy the Comfort..
Well spotted Victour78, I wrongly assumed that the problem was already there for tommy james, but as you rightly pointed out he hasn't got one, but is just worried that he might have.:waving:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well do you actually have a coolant leak?

You will find that if you take mechanical discussions on a forum serious enough, you can worry about many things that may or may not ever happen. The thing with a forum is many only post or come there for help or advice on any particular issue. As problems are concentrated on a Technical forum, it sometimes seems like the situation or problem is worse than it actually is.

It is a simple thing to deal with a loose hose clamp. A bit time consuming to get to it, but not a big deal, and if under warranty, you can always have the dealer repair it for you.

Any bike is subject to a problem, but I think all in all you will find the 1800 to be the most trouble free of them all, and easy to get service on. Some bikes such as the BMW require a 300 mile ride to the dealer as there simply are not a lot of them.

Another thing........and in violation of my own rule, if you cannot say something nice about some thing or someone, you should not say anything, but in the case of that other place........you have to take what is said there with a grain of salt. Some of those old farts never ride, they just sit and stew, and worry, and create many problems real or otherwise .

I went over there one time and asked about the extended warranty(which I did buy at a great price and it is still available.....$445 dollars and even a bit less on a discount day) and I was simply told by several of those guys, in these words, if I was so worried about my bike having issues , maybe I should just go buy a car. I would not put much stock in what those guys say.

Enjoy your bike, it is the best one ever made.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

come on man you just bought an awsome bike, oh welcome:waving:, once you ride that bike they will have to pry it out of your hands or from between your legs, sorry didn't want to go there. :D. like everyone said its under warranty and when its not. you have the whole world to help you right here. this is the best site you could have found. ride safe, and ride often. good luck

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Another thing........and in violation of my own rule, if you cannot say something nice about some thing or someone, you should not say anything, but in the case of that other place........you have to take what is said there with a grain of salt. Some of those old farts never ride, they just sit and stew, and worry, and create many problems real or otherwise .

:dude::dude::dude::dude::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

Hey Tommy,

I purchased my 2008 Gl1800, brand new, last year. With 19000+ miles on it, this past Saturday I noticed coolant leaking as I rode up I-95. I had it towed to my local dealer and it turns out that they will be replacing the radiator, fans & blades as well as something called an air box. All under warranty. They said they've seen it before.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I don't know why the dealer would have to replace the radiators and fans and air filter box. That sounds like rubbish for a job that only needs hose clamps to be tightened up.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
I don't know why the dealer would have to replace the radiators and fans and air filter box. That sounds like rubbish for a job that only needs hose clamps to be tightened up.
key word was "warrenty"....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.