Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys & Girls

I 'm new to the site & have lurked here for sometime before joining.

I bought a 1986 GL1200 Interstate with only 35kon it & in as new mint condition.

In the lastfew week I have put on over 1000trouble free Smiles, but this morning I went to start it & the starter seemed to just dead head& I heard a loud clank& it would not turn over, I checked the battery, battery connections & both were good.

I tried it again & the same thing, I then put it in gear & rocked back & forth in case the starter was bound, I tried it again & it rolled over, started as it should, I now have about 20 starts on it with no problem. But it now all of sudden has what sound's like loud lifter tick coming from either the valve cover or the front timing cover.

Any Ideas as to cause or remeady before I take it apart. I feel that the ticking is related to what ever the starter problem was??

Hope I posted this in the right place if not please direct me to the right fourm.?

Thanks in advance for any help

toys

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Welcome from a fellow lurker! This forum is sure THE place to find info and friends when it comes to 'Wings.

Had the bike been sitting for some time before you bought it? When I bought my Silverwing in Ohio that had been sitting for some time (1981 with 7K bought in 2007) I had a similar situation. Had to push start it on the second morning because the starter seemed jammed. Thought the starter was shot but then it started the rest of the day. On the third day in Wisconsin on the side roads I was making it pull a little on an uphill and it suddenly went "BANG" and the motor died. Thought I'd killed it and would have to trailer it from there but after a few minutes it actually fired up and ran. I stopped at the first motorcycle shop I ran into and the mechanic said it was likely some carbon build up that had let loose and was screwing with the system. He gave me some 'top oil' type treatment to pour in the gas tank and I haven't had a problem since. The young 'un has driven it about 10K since and no problem.
From the miracle stories about Seafoam I've read on this Forum it might be the answer, though I'm sure someone will have an opinion on that.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Myself, with an older bike & low miles, I'd add 4 oz of Seafoam to the crankcase oil + 4 oz to the fuel. Then, I'd go for a 100 mile ride & change the oil/filter & then go out for 200-300 miles and let her warm up and run a good while.

I'd guess the problems would likely disappear. If not, I would then think about replacing the timing chain or whatever else seems wrong.

If possible, I'd sure ask the PO a lot of questions.

Hey! WELCOME to the FORUM!

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
imported post

If I were you I would not run the bike any more untill you have checked out the timing belts and the valves . It seems to me you may have a valve that was stuck an may have hit a piston. To be safe you should check it out before you run that motor again !!!! :shock: :shock:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Welcome....Off to the tech forum you go, my son.....

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

jimbo1145 wrote:
If I were you I would not run the bike any more untill you have checked out the timing belts and the valves . It seems to me you may have a valve that was stuck an may have hit a piston. To be safe you should check it out before you run that motor again !!!! :shock: :shock:
TIMING BELTS>>>>>>>> CHANGE THE TIMING BELTS

hopefully you haven't bent a volve or even worse, messed a piston.... volve jobs are doable, pistons...that is a whole other story

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

I would try to isolate which side the noise is coming from and check valve lash on that side. What you describe is very odd seeing you put 1,000 miles. I could see first trip but all should be quite free in 1,000 miles. Might just be a coincidence and something failed. Take a peek. Cheaper than parts! :)

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Hi Toys, and welcome to a great forum. Do you know how long this bike has been siting and not run? a lot of stuff breaks down over a period of time. Have you checked your gas filter? How about the fuel pump pressure? If it has sat for a few yrs, did you change all the fluids in the bike? You haven't told us the Whole story here and it's hard to get it right if you don't help us with ALL the info. Also you should let us know what area you live in, as there could be a member just around the corner from you that could pop in and help. And yes Seafoam is a good product. Good luck and let us know. :) :grinner:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

First I would like to thank all for your response's.

This machine sat for for over 6 years before I bought it, it had always been well taken for from what I can see from the paper work that came with (all service records) it up to the date he put it away.

Because it had sat for so long The float in the carbs were hung up real bad to the point it would not fire, so it was not run until I went thru the carbs & changed the oil then after about 10min riding time I changed the oil & filter again, commpression is good on all cyclinders

I just got the shop manual for it & hope to be able to check the valve setting, compression, belt's etc. over the weekend or as soon as I have a chance.

Is there any secret to adjusting the lifters, I'm told they are hyraulic & may have to be bled?

Thanks
toys

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

Yes, the valve lash adjusters are hydraulic, and after 1000 miles should not need to be bled. Bleeding the adjusters is just something you do with new ones, or if they have been out of the bike for some time and drained down. A number of folks have done heads and popped the old adjusters back in with no problems.

The rule for these bikes is, if you don't know for sure when the timing belts were new, change them immediately. If you break a belt, or if a belt idler comes loose enough to allow a belt to slip, the pistons and valves will become very intimate, and the offspring of that relationship is going to be a bent valve at the very least.

As for the ticking, if it is coming from the timing cover you better get in there NOW and find out. If it is coming from the valve cover there are a few benign causes to check. Old oil can cause noisy valve gear, as can over filling the oil sump. The valve adjusters are very sensitive to air foam in the oil, and will clatter alarmingly if fed foamy oil. There is an anti foaming chamber over the cam to deal with this, but it cannot deal with too much foam from over filling, or when the anti foaming additives in the oil break down. On the other hand, if you have a valve sticking orbent, or a piece of carbon or crap between valve and seat the adjusters are powerless to deal with it. Check compressions to diagnose this.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

My fear is that a valve is bent. If that is the case it would have a ton of lash. Just turn the motor until the cam lobe points away from the rocker arm and wiggle the rocker arm. There should be virtually no lash. If you find one that has a lot more lash it is probably bent inside the combustion chamber. The bend makes it impossible for the valve to return all the way up. That is where the extra lash comes from, because the valve can not return all the way due to the bend. Good Luck...

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
imported post

Hey Toys, as you can see we are a helpful bunch. But you have a duty to fill yet. Your profile does not have your location, and you need to visit the New Members Forum and give us a proper background on you. :waving:

Select "MY ACCount" on the right side of any title page. Then Profile and fill in your location.

Have a super nice day, okay? :waving:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Hi Guys
My problem is fixed I changed the oil again & ran it for about 50 miles which tone the clicking down & then changed it again the ticking is now gone, it must have been from sitting for so long & the crankcase having gas in it from the a stuck float.

The starter problem I found was from a bad connection at the solonoid.

Thanks to all for the responses & input.
toys

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

Good stuff Toys. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Generally these bikes are very greatful of the small bits of TLC they recieve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.