Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all!!I have a 1986 Aspencade that just turned 19,000 miles old last weekend. Have owned it since 1988 when the dealer took it out of the crate and put it together for me. Silver and charcoal in color with bag protectors and luggage rack.I feel a bit like Rip Van Winkle cause about 3 years ago I decided to start my bike and to my astonishment, 10 years had passed!! No Joke!!! It had different ideas about starting, the choke was even frozen up. Problem was,none of the dealerships would now work on a bike of this age. I did manage to get a fellows name from one dealer who would work on the bike(shade tree mechanic) Whole other story there but he did get it running, not 100 percent,but pretty darn good. A friend kept the bike and rode it often for about a year and myself a couple of times. Then I brought it back to my garage not riding it very often, mostly starting it about once per month to lett it run for a while. Seemed to be running worse all of the time so I decide that I had better get it out and ride while it would still run. Ran HORRIBLE for a while. Ran a tank ful of premium with Sea Foam 3/4 can to the tank. Ran another tank ful with some other carb cleaner in it,don't remember the brand? Acceleration up thru the gears has gotten MUCH better still not 100 percent. Out at freeway speeds runs rough and will accelerate but not as strong or quick as it should. I changed the fuel filter and the air filter is good. Tonight I changed the spark plugs. The ones on the right side of the bike,as you are sitting on it, read to be very rich especially the one toward the rear of the bike. The ones on the left side of the bike,again as you are sitting on it, look better but perhaps still too rich. I then started the the bike and from looking at the exhaust smoke it does indeed look to be running richer on the right side. Any thoughts/ help anyone might offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tim

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
imported post

Tim, most of the smart guys with all the answers are hanging out on the technical forum. You are sure to get some great advice there.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Hi Elvis1,
I agree with what Xzebra said. I recommend you post your question over in the technical section. Most of the gurus won't see it over here. Mostly just a few of us look at this section to greet the newcomers.

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
imported post

:action:Welcome to the greatest forum on the net:action:
and
:action:Welcome from the "Hoosier State":action:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

A BIG Thank You to all of you guys who have sent welcomes my way!! Like and agree with all of your sayings and patches! I shure look forward to the fun and love of riding again and with help from you guys maybe I can get there WITHOUT going broke!! THanks again, Tim

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome elvis1[/align]

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

elvis1 wrote:
Hello all!!I have a 1986 Aspencade that just turned 19,000 miles old last weekend. Have owned it since 1988 when the dealer took it out of the crate and put it together for me. Silver and charcoal in color with bag protectors and luggage rack.I feel a bit like Rip Van Winkle cause about 3 years ago I decided to start my bike and to my astonishment, 10 years had passed!! No Joke!!! It had different ideas about starting, the choke was even frozen up. Problem was,none of the dealerships would now work on a bike of this age. I did manage to get a fellows name from one dealer who would work on the bike(shade tree mechanic) Whole other story there but he did get it running, not 100 percent,but pretty darn good. A friend kept the bike and rode it often for about a year and myself a couple of times. Then I brought it back to my garage not riding it very often, mostly starting it about once per month to lett it run for a while. Seemed to be running worse all of the time so I decide that I had better get it out and ride while it would still run. Ran HORRIBLE for a while. Ran a tank ful of premium with Sea Foam 3/4 can to the tank. Ran another tank ful with some other carb cleaner in it,don't remember the brand? Acceleration up thru the gears has gotten MUCH better still not 100 percent. Out at freeway speeds runs rough and will accelerate but not as strong or quick as it should. I changed the fuel filter and the air filter is good. Tonight I changed the spark plugs. The ones on the right side of the bike,as you are sitting on it, read to be very rich especially the one toward the rear of the bike. The ones on the left side of the bike,again as you are sitting on it, look better but perhaps still too rich. I then started the the bike and from looking at the exhaust smoke it does indeed look to be running richer on the right side. Any thoughts/ help anyone might offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tim
Tim, I ran sea foam for about 1500 miles till it finally coughed and ran nice. I ran it in my oil and gas... only an ounce in the oil and changed it and the filter at 500 miles. Be careful of the carb cleaners the older gaskets do not stand up well to some of the carb cleaners on the market.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

Welcome from Oklahoma :waving: Enjoy the wing :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

WELCOME:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome from Vancouver Island on Canadas wst coast.
Sorry to hear your bike is:brokedown:The tech people here are great and love to be used with only a thank you:action::action::bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks for the welcome!!NICE lookin ride you have there!! Bike is running MUCH better now,still needto let idle with sea foam in it to further clean up the idle circuit. New problem now/stranded one side of the highway for about 45 minutes. Main fuse wiring exsesive heat build up to the point that the plug connector and the large red wire feeding into the top of the connector are partially melted!! EVERYTHING shut down, just like no battery was even in the bike at all. While I was sitting on the side of the highway, trying to keep an eye out to be sure someone didn't run me over, I decided to pull the fuse for the fan. Knew that the fan would pull more amps than anything else on the bike and would cause more heat build up than anything else,just rode easy the rest of the way home and no problem. This circuit must be thermaly protected some how because when it cools off it seems to re set and everything comes back to life!! Thank you Jesus,LOL!!!! Anyone know what would cause that amount of heat up for this to have happened?? Another member thought it could be the voltage regulator? Don't even know where that is or what it looks like. Also, I am wondering if corrosion alone could have caused that amount of heat build up????? I really meant to post this so that any and all could read and comment on this issue I'm new to this furum mand hit the PM button instead. Any way you could post this in the general reply area for me? Thanks again for your welcome, Tim

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

OOPPS!!! Guess I hit the correct button after all!!!

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Welcome, WelcomeTo Steve Saunders Goldwing Forum.If you have any questions no matter how trivial they may seem this forum is the place to ask them. What I have noticed is that some of the people here were :15red:'sin their previous lives and can answer any question you have. Theforums that I get the most from are::

Goldwing Technical Forum

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

These have the best info aboutGoldwing’s and are where you ask questions and can get help..

For Sale/Wanted ForumGood stuff for Sale or if you have old parts sitting around the garage you would like to get rid of....

:18red::15red::12red::11red:

And when all you need is a good laugh to start your day try the:: Fun Forum After that it’s up to you which of the others you will like the best all I can do is suggest.

Again Welcome to the Forum...

Oh and did I mention everyone here loves pictures.. Show us some of yours... Even if it’s not a Goldwing just a pretty view

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum elvis1! :waving:

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

elvis1 wrote:
Thanks for the welcome!!NICE lookin ride you have there!! Bike is running MUCH better now,still needto let idle with sea foam in it to further clean up the idle circuit. New problem now/stranded one side of the highway for about 45 minutes. Main fuse wiring exsesive heat build up to the point that the plug connector and the large red wire feeding into the top of the connector are partially melted!! EVERYTHING shut down, just like no battery was even in the bike at all. While I was sitting on the side of the highway, trying to keep an eye out to be sure someone didn't run me over, I decided to pull the fuse for the fan. Knew that the fan would pull more amps than anything else on the bike and would cause more heat build up than anything else,just rode easy the rest of the way home and no problem. This circuit must be thermaly protected some how because when it cools off it seems to re set and everything comes back to life!! Thank you Jesus,LOL!!!! Anyone know what would cause that amount of heat up for this to have happened?? Another member thought it could be the voltage regulator? Don't even know where that is or what it looks like. Also, I am wondering if corrosion alone could have caused that amount of heat build up????? I really meant to post this so that any and all could read and comment on this issue I'm new to this furum mand hit the PM button instead. Any way you could post this in the general reply area for me? Thanks again for your welcome, Tim
Heat is resistance, lose connections ,corrosion in the connectors, bad ground, and direct shorts, You may be getting or experiencing a thermal protection but I doubt it is designed to do so. Consider yourself lucky it has been acting in such a fashion and get going on cleaning the ground contacts, splice connectors , and termination points of the wire harness. I will not point out any one particular item as it sounds as if you are blessed with multiple. I recently went down path of separating fried wires and replacing getting it fixed and losing the main red wire and a couple of surrounding wire's.

Solder all new connections. Dielectric silicone ring and spade ends. after soldering on new ends. and clean ,clean, clean! Last use shrink tube. I cannot claim to be expert but have close to completely rewiring my ride.

as wel as many years wiring solar and houses and office buildings. A diagram is most helpful in understanding flows on the bike.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Thanks for the pointers on forums.And from time to time we all need a good laugh so I will check the just for fun forum out also. Tim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.