Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1990 GL 1500 Trike (trike conversion 2006, colour is burgundy, MOT officially says red)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from wil! After purchasing a 'new to me' 1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500, I had lots of questions and some curious issues with this Lehman trike (done in 2006) 1500.
About me: In my 20s, I got my M designation in Ontario and maintained it, riding very occasionally, even transferred it to BC for almost 30 years - never bought a bike.
Living in BC at the time, when I retired in (2017 I decided to buy my first bike - a 2008 Honda Shadow 750 - very low kms, upgraded seats, leather saddles, engine bars and running boards. June 2018, I moved back to my home town in Ontario and got connected to a group of folks who rode mostly GWs. At the same time, following knee injuries, and having a desire to join the "wing folks", I began to search for a trike and sold the Shadow. At that time, few GW trikes were in the affordable range so settled for an 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50T (Lehman trike) with 21,000 miles (bought from a lady who stopped riding at 81). Did some upgrades including Ultimate seats, J&M handlebar mounted CB and a 5 degree rake on the triple tree. After putting the equivalent of 16K on the Suzuki, decided to look harder for GW trike that was a few years older to fit the budget. In brief, this 1990 appeared and was immediately a serious 'let's have a look' and then 'let's make a deal'. Done.
With 130K on the trike I was confident of making a good purchase - happy to say this is largely true. One gulp causing item that appeared was a loud rattle around the alternator that sounded expensive. A fellow GW rider put me onto this forum after he had discovered that the most common cause for such a rattle in a 1500 was the rubber damper cushions between the alternator and the housing. Replaced them and the sound disappeared - the ones I removed were hard like bakelite plastic.
Safety inspection complete - a mouse eaten wire to the license plate light and the front brake light switch loose connection - and the trike is on the road in time to enjoy the riding season!

Kick stands up - forever!

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
1,091 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Here's to air in your hair and knees in the breeze and a good find on what sounds to be a very nice GW trike!

·
Premium Member
80,385 Posts
Hallo wil

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Registered
1990 GL 1500 Trike (trike conversion 2006, colour is burgundy, MOT officially says red)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the greetings! 😃 Have been busy with getting to know the Wing and enjoying some rides!

I am very interested in learning how to track down a nagging issue. :unsure: On initial starting in 1st gear, the throttle response seems to jump to pull away from a stop. In lower gears 2 thru 4 when holding a steady throttle, my wing tends to surge and to avoid this I must throttle back or increase a bit to even out the engine. This happens mostly below 2000 rpm. At cruising speed above 2000 and in cruise control, the engine runs much smoother and is very responsive.
So far searching thru a 1993 Service Manual, the trouble shooting seems to point to a vacuum loss somewhere and there are a lot of hoses to check. :rolleyes: Personally I wonder if this could be carb related as it feels like a fuel surge when holding the throttle steady. Since this a 90 Wing I have no idea when or if the carbs may have been serviced. Servicing the carbs will be a time consuming remedy. Could this be valves requiring adjusting? :unsure:
I have read a couple of posts on here that suggest it could be loss of vacuum or carb related. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

wil in Ontario

1 - 7 of 7 Posts