Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

I’m new here, but I’ve been riding and wrenching on bikes since 1967. I own a motorcycle repair & restoration shop but have joined because I just inherited a 1978 GL1000 from a friend who decided he no longer will be riding.

I still live to ride and will be restoring reliability to this older Wing and I’m anxious to get it ready and take it on a trip. Maybe around Lake Superior. Always like to meet fellow bikers and ride with you. For the near future, though, it’ll have to be on my big Suzuki or my Triumph. Sorry about that, folks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
62,662 Posts
Hallo Wirelic

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Administrator
58,729 Posts
Hello to all,

I’m new here, but I’ve been riding and wrenching on bikes since 1967. I own a motorcycle repair & restoration shop but have joined because I just inherited a 1978 GL1000 from a friend who decided he no longer will be riding.

I still live to ride and will be restoring reliability to this older Wing and I’m anxious to get it ready and take it on a trip. Maybe around Lake Superior. Always like to meet fellow bikers and ride with you. For the near future, though, it’ll have to be on my big Suzuki or my Triumph. Sorry about that, folks.
this is one forum that could care less what you ride, just join in with us and ask for help, and give help.

we get questions about the Suzuki and the Triumph from time to time, simply because no one here will call you stupid or worse, and we have members who are very familiar with those models.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Hi to those who replied. Thanks. Yes, the Cavalcade is a rather rare bike, I do all my own work on all my bikes, but especially the Cade, as I doubt if 1 in 5000 Suzuki mechanics have any idea how to work on them.

Regarding my newly acquired GL1000, here’s some of what I know I have to do: clean fuel tank & clean, rebuild carbs, rebuild all brake calipers and master cylinders. I’ll replace the 41 year old brakes lines with stainless steel. New brake pads of course. New cables, tires, tubes. I think it has tube type tires. Replace timing belt, cover gaskets, check valve clearances. Replace hoses on radiator. I’d like to install new coils, plugs, caps, cables, points, condenser, rectifier and stator just to ensure I don’t have electrical failure on the road. The bike is 41 years old and has a bit over 50,000 miles on it. Flush & fill forks, allnew cables. This list should at least get me started. I won’t have it ready till next season, but by then I plan to ride it on a camping trip, maybe around Lake Superior or to the Black Hills.

Anyone care to chime in about any of the work I plan or riding , invite your comments.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the average life span of a GL1000 stator? My bike is 41 years old and 50,000 miles. Since I’ll have it apart, I’d like to put in a new, Ricks, stator. Unless the OEM stators routinely last 100,000 miles. Looking for advice. Thx.

·
Administrator
22,182 Posts
I know of no "life span" estimates on them. I had one last a couple hundred thousand miles, until I decided to clean the connections at the rectifier and put it back together without dielectric grease. Connector heated up and took out both the rectifier and stator.

Your current stator may last days, or years. But then, so may a new one.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Stators usually doesn't go bad on their own, it's usually something external like connection failures, burnt wiring or shorted rectifiers that kills 'em.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Hello from Illinois and welcome,hope you enjoy your trip around Lake Superior,I did in 1992.
I had a 1978 that gave me a lot of problems running properly till I changed it over to electronic ignition,the alternator went south at 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Honda electrical

My experience with my 2 Honda's electrical. First my 1987 Wing had a burnt connector where the 3 yellow wires meet the rectifier wires. I cut out connector and soldered the wires.. My 1999 Honda Tourer (VT1100T) was my first experience with the same burnt connector. On this bike I later replaced the regulator with one from Rick's. I have put amp gauges on both of these bikes so I can actually see what is happening. I check the output accuracy of what the gauge shows and my good volt ohm meter occasionally. This may not be the best way to deal with Honda electrical issue.... and if not others here will tell us their experience..not advice. I like that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good idea. Thanks

Tphoneman

I’ve also had trouble with bad connectors and cut them out and soldered the connections. Excellent way to solve some problems. And, like you, I’ve installed voltmeters on my touring bikes. I had a stator quit on me when I was in New Hampshire and I live in Wisconsin. This was before the voltmeter so I had no idea of a pending problem. I got home by picking up a new battery at Walmart, bungee corded it onto the passenger floorboard and using a set of jumper wires. Rode almost 2000 miles that way.
Thank you for your help and suggestions. I appreciate all the advice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts