Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all. I've had 2 Harleys and just went with an old '85 Gold Wing LTD due to moneystruggles. It's a real nice clean bike and I got a great deal on it....or atleast I thought I did!!

Here's the problem. The bike sat for the most part for 4 years. I changed the plugs and air filter. It was running great. I put fuel injector cleaner in it and ran3 tanks of gas through it. It started running crappy the other day. After it warms up it starts missing when I'm just cruising along. Get into the throttle and it smoothes right out. It stalls when I come to a stop. Last night IChanged the fuel filter and it's doing the same thing. When it's cold it runs okay. Any ideas? I'm stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum roadkingrich! :waving:

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

Welcome from Oklahoma :waving: Enjoy the wing :cheesygrin:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome roadkingrich[/align]

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum!

This thread should probably be moved to the Tech Forum where the Gurus hang out. Better chance of getting a response. One of the Moderators should be able to do it for you.

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

WELCOME:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Hi roadkingrich!

I also just picked up an '85 LTD a couple of months ago and I sure am happy with it. Mine had a bit of a miss also... I found the problem when I opened things up to inspect the air filter -- the crankcase breather tube was just laying up there without being pushed into the grommet in the filter. It sounds to me like your problem is different, but I thought I'd mention it...

Hope you get it solved quickly!

Best wishes from Oregon...

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Pig wrote:
Hi roadkingrich!

I also just picked up an '85 LTD a couple of months ago and I sure am happy with it. Mine had a bit of a miss also... I found the problem when I opened things up to inspect the air filter -- the crankcase breather tube was just laying up there without being pushed into the grommet in the filter. It sounds to me like your problem is different, but I thought I'd mention it...

Hope you get it solved quickly!

Best wishes from Oregon...
[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome Pig[/align]

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I recommend you post your question over in the technical section. Most of the gurus won't see it over here.

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Another that might help a bit, instead of carb cleaner, get some Marvel Mystery Oil (my favorite or some Sea Foam that others swear by, and run that through your tank.

I would also pull the plugs, one by one and look them over closely. They will tell you a lot. there is a chart you can look at in repair manual that will show you what the plug is saying by looking at it. if you don't have a book just google "spark plug chart".

Good luck and keep us posted on how things are progressing.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
imported post

Welcome aboard, Rich. I know nothing about FI, but that sure sounds like plugged slow-speed jets. So, does FI have a slow & fast circuit like carbs?
Did you do anything to clean out the tank?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Your other post doesn't mention it ran good before you put in the injector cleaner. Which is it?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I definitely would not use any type of automotive carb or fuel injector cleaner in the Goldwing FI system. It can damage some of the plastic and rubber parts. I recommend Seafoam.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

It could and almost certainly is a vacuum leak, though other things may be involved too, but there are no idle jets on the FI system. Idle and low speed operation are controlled by the air valve and reed valve system.

Is it just me, or are there two almost identical threads going here?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
Is it just me, or are there two almost identical threads going here?
There are two seperate threads. That's what I'm trying to clarify. The second thread says nothing about injector cleaner. (Using injector cleaner on an injection system would be like using dish soap to wash dishes. Ridiculous!)

And Jerry, the reed valve (secondary air system) has nothing to do with "controlling" idle, although the vacuum leaks would surely cause driveability issues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.