1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

06-17-09

Hello:

Being new to this website, I am in a haze. Printed the FORUMS HELP yet I am essentially 'Winging it with this message.

Own a 2001 Pearl Blue GL1800A with 91,321 miles. Owned Hondas since 1965 (CA77 Dream) and Wings since 1975 GL1000 (then a 1984 Aspencade 1200, 1996 Pearl Blue 1500). My questions relate to mileages.

Q1 I usually get 12,000 - 14,000 miles on the Bridgestone stock tires purchased from Honda dealerships. Last set I stretched to 16,000! What mileages are you getting with these?

Q2 On this Wing, my current record for most miles in less than 24 hours was on my most recent trip. At end of the trip, I rode from Oak Creek, WI to Shawnee, OK in 19.5 hours with 1,064 miles - and finished the ride homethe next day in 19.75 hours with 1,172 miles. What are some of your 24-hour stretches?

Other questions abound, however I don't want to wear out my welcome.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,611 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!!! :waving:

I hope you find the Forum as informative and as much fun as we do!!:cooldevil:

Again, Welcome Aboard!! :action:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from sunny Southern California.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

Welcome Aboard!:waving:

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome from Arizona.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

06-18-09

Hello:

What is the procedure for getting answers to my questions?

Also, where in Tucson do you live? We are on the Arivaca Road, halfway between Amado & Arivaca.

Have you ever ridden the Morenci-to-Alpine stretch on US-191 in southeastern AZ?

Attached photo is from this stretch on Day One of my recent 11-day ride that totaled 6,824 miles with the last two days at 1,064 and 1,172.

Mel Selway

(888) 2 GET MEL

Attachments

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Best place for answers is the technical forum on this site.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hi OurGL,
Because only a few regulars come into the introduction forum to post welcome messages, very few people see your questions posted here. So often the people that post the welcome messages don't see your questions.

But you don't have anyway to know that until you have been here awhile. You are doing just fine though.

In answer to your second question, My longest day was a little over 700 miles. I think it was about 725ish but I don't remember the exact. I have many, many 600+ days, but only broke 700 that one time.

If you post over in the General Motorcycle Discussion forum or in the Misc Forum, a lot more people will jump in and join the conversation. That's only because 98% never even look over here.

Talk to you soon.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
imported post

I have made mid to upper 600's but I do not make it a regular practice.
My E-3's ran for more than 15,000 miles and still had plenty of tread when I changed them due to a puncture in one of them.

By the way,
Welcome from Ohio

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

06-19-09

Hello Wolfman:

Thanks for your info.

Still learning how to use this site - even something as simple as where to post my questions.

Where did you do your "longest day"? ... and do you have any favorite routes?

I have attached two photos in PDF:

1 My first Wing (75 GL1000) custom paint with Vetter Fairing & Malott's hardware that enabled mounting of Harley fender, bags, & tourpack - which were industry standards at that time

2 My 3rd Wing (96 GL1500) on US191 southbound north of Vernal, UT at the only place I have ever seen where the curves are numbered! 10 of them and only on the southbound route

Hope they bring smiles.

Mel Selway - OURGL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Hi,

You'll get used to the way the site works soon enough. You've already figured out how to attach pictures as an attahment. As you play with it you'll get to learn the other functions too.

Usually you'd put conversations like this in the General Motorcycle Discussion Forum. If you had questions about mechanical problems or the workings of the bike or the type of fuel or oil,;)or other such matters, then you would post in the Goldwing Techincal Forum.

The Miscellaneous Forum is for stuff that isn't really motorcycle related, such as computer questions or planting your lawn questions or anything else that you want to discuss with people and get advise on, or intersting stuff that you want to share with friends such as your baby granddaughters first tooth or stuff like that.

The Fun Forum is for people that like to share jokes or funny stuff they found on the internet, etc.

Sometimes things fall in gray areas and it isn't really clear which area it goes in. It's not a big deal, just put it where you thing is best. In most cases people won't care. Most of the people here aren't really that hung up about it like I have seen on other sites. Occasionally someone will point out it would have been better in another area and it's usually a judgement call. Sometimes it's a total miss and one of the moderators will move it.

There is advantage to getting the right exposure. As you have already seen, there is only about 20 people that even look in this forum to greet newcomers. People tend to get set in their favorite areas. Often I see a newcomer post a technical question here. They found this site because they had a problem and a question, and they put it here and it doesn't get answered. But then a moderator will move it to the technical question section and boom --- it gets some great answers.

Anyway, I am in Virginia Beach, Virginia and do 99% of my riding here in SouthEast Virginia and NorthEast North Carolina. There are some really great roads in the country side around here. And I can pretty much ride year around so I never have to put my bike in lay-up. During the summer time when I can venture farther out, I get out into the central part of Virginia and occasionally I get way out into the western part of the state where the mountains are. That's a special treat. About once or twice a year a group of us get together and do an overnight trip or a double overnight trip and get some real mountain riding in. That's when I hit my longest day was on one of those trips in the mountains. We take part in an annual event called the Virginia Grand Tour (put on by the Honda Riders of Tidewater) in which each year there are 15 spots picked in Virginia and the goal is to visit as many of them as you can. It takes us all over Virginia. So we'll take a trip and try to pick up 6 or 7 of the spots in one trip. And usually we plan out about 4-500 mile days. But this one year, we plotted one of the spots wrong in the GPS and ended up going way out of our way, and when we discovered our error and worked our way back to the actual spot we ate up an extra couple hundred miles more than we planned and it ended up being a really long day. It was fun though, we got to see some more of the state that we never would have gotten to see.

http://hrot.org/grandtour/grandtour2009.htm

This is the Grand Tour collection for this year. Unfortunately this year money is tight and I probably won't be doing any overnight trips this year.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

06-20-09

Wolfman:

I appreciate the extra info RE: the site and use thereof.

Your GPS Operator Error story was also interesting. I plan my trips in advance and laminate each day's itinerary so that I can affix it near my ignition switch for easy reference. Occassionally - as on my recent cross-country trip - I need to modify the route and use a Sharpie to record the changes. These cards serve as a reminder when I create my trip slide show.

Don't know if you could do it however there is a nice ride west out of Roanoke on VA-311 up over the backbone of a ridge onto I-64 West to US-219 north thru eastern WV to WV-39 east back into VA.

If you get the chance to ride west, let me know and I can probably provide some routes. I have attached a PDF showing most of my major rides since '71.

Mel Selway - OURGL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
imported post

Hey! :waving: from Hamburg, NY
[align=center]THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO BE![/align]

If you have Goldwing Technical Smarts - GIVE IT! :2finger:

If you need help - ASK FOR IT! :blushing:
If you know of an event coming up or a cool ride you went on - SHARE IT! :banana:

If you have a joke or funny story - TELL IT! :cheeky1:[/align]
If you have prayers to give or need some - FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, SAY IT! :angel:

If you have anything bad to say to or about anyone on this forum - STUFF IT! :whip:

[align=center] WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!
:cooler:[/align]

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

BIG WELCOME and Hope to hear a lot from you on this great site. :clapper:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.