Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Rode motorcycles maybe 30 miles in my 53 years, never had a motorcycle license or a Motorcycle until now!
The Bike is a 1982 Honda Goldwing Aspencade GL1100 I bought for $350.00.
It was hit by a car on the left side and damage is the front timing cover and the timing Pulley broke the leg guards bent and left Luggage box crushed, I noticed some cracks on the rear wheel rim spokes.
The bike ran from the accident location to his home 3 miles (approx) and never restarted since 2003. The bike was kept in a heated garage and Timing cover and pulley was replaced: In addition, the bent or crushed parts were purchased and in a box.
My question is...where the heck do I start? What do I do first...the battery is dead and I don't want to start it with out knowing if it is timed correctly first...per your forum!
I am a partially disabled Marine Corps Veteran and could use some knowledge here with my bike...I really want to ride bad and its almost August...Bottom line here...Im not Rockefeller $$$ I work but not rich! ...Thanks in Advance...Dale B

Attachments

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Daletoledo, if you put this info in the tech section there are a lot of people there that will be able to help you a lot.:waving::waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,723 Posts
imported post

Dale,

Welcome to our forum, and now your forum.

I am going to move this to Technical and rename it to "Need help with GL1100" so you get the response you need.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

thanks Everyone for your kindness and Help...can't wait to ride!

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome from Arizona.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

Dale,
I have a GL1100 and I've written my own tune up and maintenance white papers. (spell that step by idiot step for middle aged dummies like me) <whistling innocently> [grinning] I started out with mechanic experience but NO bike mechanic experience. So I did like everyone else. I learned by shear repetition on my own bike. I'll be happy to share my well earned sunburned experiences with you. BTW I am an unemployed handicapped veteran myself, so no money but my brains work great. Also I don't have a garage so all my work is done in my apt bldgs parking lot.

I'm not home at the moment but when I'm home I'll be happy to email them to you. I can give you a recommendation on which procedures to do first, second third and so forth to maximize your work time. You don't need a lot of money, just time and a handful of tools. The most common being a 10mm socket, 6 point, with a short and long extension and a ratchet. I will be happy to email several papers to you. Please send me an email at:
[email protected]
so I get the spelling to you correct. Any help I can offer, just ask :)

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

Welcome Aboard!:waving:

·
Premium Member
12,802 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome and Hello . Thank you for your time in service of our country. I will add that the wheel may have been damaged in the accident , though the "Comstar" wheel was known to crack on its own. I agree about checking the timing of the cams first .

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the board.

Now to address some of your questions.

First make sure you have proper fluid levels (oil-coolant) add as needed. Connect a good battery or charge the one you have. Jump if needed.

Place the transmission in neutral, one click up from first gear. Hold in the clutch. With the kill switch (red knob on right handlebar) in the off position (either to the right or left, middle is "on"), turn on the key and touch the starter (small button on right handlebar). This will let you know if the engine is free to turn over without allowing it to start. Do this several times to check for binding or knocking noises.

I would empty the gas tank, check for signs of rust or varnishing, clean out the tank if any is found and replace with good fresh gas.

If everything seems to turn OK and you hear no obvious problems then you are ready to try to fire her up. When a Wing starts up after a long period they will many times smoke for a bit. That is normal as long as it doesn't continue too long. The things you want to look for are banging or clattering noises. If you hear these use the kill switch again to immediately shut down the engine.

If all goes well, you can begin checking for leaks and testing the running of the engine. Let it idle for a while to get everything lubricated and then try revving the engine lightly to listen for any problems.

Assuming good results to this point you can proceed to try to engage the transmssion and see if she will move.

This is not the definitive way to go about this but my suggestions. Others more experienced than I will hopefully add any steps or procedures I have omitted.

The 1100 engine is one of the best ever built for my money. It is almost impossible to kill unless the timing belts break and even then it can usually be repaired.

Good Luck and Ride Safe.

:action:

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

I take it your in Toledo, maybe some one clse by to where you live can come by and give you a hand. Patience is the key to these bikes. It's hard to mess one up if you follow the instructions and advise on this forum. A Big welcome from Oklahoma!
Rumple

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Your bike looks half decent and unless you find something very seriously wrong with it, it's a good find.

I would say that anything you need, you'll find on Ebay or salvage, or aftermarket/Honda.

If your 1982 is like mine, that sit a few years, you will need to clean the carbs and work on the brakes.

Welcome to this site and have fun. There is alot of expertise here, just ask.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

Hi Dale !!!! I am a member from the Detroit area, and I would be happy to help you if I can. Ibrought a 1980 GL1100 Standard with Vetter plastic back to life after 17 years in a barn, so I got to know these bikes real well.I have some parts left over from my rebuild, including a set of Comstars from a 1981 GL1100A. If thereal wheel fits, it's yours !! It's got a real old tire on it, so you would need some new tires (yours are likely over 5 years old so I would recommend it anyway. As for the plastic saddlebags and other hardware damaged in the accident, I would remove it and take inventory to see if it is worth replacing it all, or maybe consider converting yours to a standard with no plastic. Look especially closely at the frame and forks since these are very important to the bikes overall condition.

This sitemay a good place to find parts since many members buy parts bikes during their rebuilds. Another good source of parts is Craigslist, or http://www.nakegoldwings.com . The site is similar to this oneexcept the majority of the members strip all the plastic off their wings and "go nakid" as they say. Some of the members there may have the plastic parts you need. This site is more dedicated to the dressed goldwings 1980-present, where the other isfocused on1976-1979 GL1000's, but they have some members with GL1100/1200's as well. I'm sure you get the help you need, and I would be willing to take a ride (always looking for a reason for a ride) down and look over you bike if you like. I am not an expert on the Aspencade electronics, but other members can help there if necessary !! Mark

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Hi Dale

Welcome!!

I ocassionally get up to the Toledo Area (Delta, Ohio) and I'll give you some advance notice next time I plan to be in the area and maybe we can have a look at the project..

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
imported post

Hello from Washington state.:waving:

Enjoy the forums.:)

Tib:cool:

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Dale, also thank you for your service. Keep us posted on the parts you may need. 82 1100 is an awesome bike..

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.