Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, I like this site. Looking to learn more about troubleshooting and Goldwing community.

I recently purchased an 84 Goldwing with 7K miles sitting around. I am starting to blow heavy white smoke and see liquid come out or the exhaust. Heavier on the right exhaust. I did put in carb cleaner in the fuel.. andnow think this was being pushed out to mufflers. Not sure, still trying to figure this out.:jumper:

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
imported post

You might want to post your problem in the Tech Forum. Someone there will be willing to help you out.

[align=center]Hey! :waving: from Hamburg, NY[/align]
[align=center]THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO BE![/align]

If you have Goldwing Technical Smarts - GIVE IT! :2finger:

If you need help - ASK FOR IT! :blushing:

If you know of an event coming up or a cool ride you went on - SHARE IT! :banana:

If you have a joke or funny story - TELL IT! :cheeky1:

If you have prayers to give or need some - FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, SAY IT! :angel:

If you have anything bad to say to or about anyone on this forum - STUFF IT! :whip:

[align=center] WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!
:cooler:[/align]

·
Administrator
20,581 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the State of Confusion............Kansas! :waving:

Please add your location in your profile so that forum members can meet you, help, or even go for a ride! :cooldevil:

Again, Welcome Aboard! :clapper:

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

[align=left]HelloFrenkeje circuitand welcome from Arizona.

[/align]
[align=left] "Why buy'm if you don't ride'm"[/align]

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

:waving:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

white smoke almost always means that the head gaskets are blown. U probably only need the one side done, but i would suggest that you do both, and install new timing belts too. I hope this helps. if you need anything else, let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
imported post

Hi....welcome from the Netherlands!!!:banana:

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Welcomefrenkeje to our great forum from Canada north of the great lakes in the province of Ontario. If you wouldn't mind puting in where you are from, then we may have some members around you where you could meet for coffee. Now on your newly aquired bike, having sat around for quite a while, I would suggest you change ALL fluids, check rad hoses for cracks, Tires for aging cracks, grease the Spline gear on the rear wheel for sure with the special grease. make sure the brake calipers are working OK and all lites as well. You didn't say how long the bike had been siting. How is the battery? Are the cables clean? Can you get any or all history from the previous owner? Did he have it since new? What has he done to it if anything and when. This way it takes out a lot of time you would have to spend on it, that you could go riding. So good luck and let us know how everything is going,as we are all interested and don't be shy about asking. Old Hawkey :waving: :) :grinner:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hello to all. Thanks for the welcoming. This has been sitting for about 15 years. I have done a lot of fluid replacement and just finished cleaning the gas tank.

I now know what is happening. Extreme amounts of fuel is coming out of muffler. I went through a 1/4 tank in about 30 seconds of on and off starting to get it running. When I shut the tank to off, it will start fine, actually respond to throttle until gas runs out. Liquid stops dripping and smoke color is significantly less.

So, I don't know what that is... Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I do not know much about 1200 carbs but it sounds to me like you are due for a rebuild. Raw gas is a sign of a stuck float or extremely fouled jets.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the west coast of Canada. And congratulations on finding such a low mileage bike. If this is your first GL 1200, be patient with the troubles because you are going to love the bike!

Yes, it sure sounds like there is fuel getting past the float needles. This would be most likely because of varnish from the fuel lines or carb float bowls or perhaps oxide from the carb bodies themselves getting between the needles and seats. There is probably a lot of varnish in your fuel tank as well, but it should not be getting past the fuel filter. The only sure cure would be a carb rebuild but you could get lucky and dissolve it by treating withSea Foam. To be honest with you I have never used Sea Foam but there are a lot of folks on this forum who have been amazed at the results it sometimes gives. If it is varnish that has things stuck in your float bowls it really might work. Try adding a healthy dose to the fuel and running the bike by turning off the fuel till it starts to die then turning it on just for long enough to fill the carbs again. Try runningwith the fuel turned off till it dies then tapping each carbwith something soft like a screwdriver handle or small plastic faced hammer. Then try running it with the fuel turned on and tapping each carb the same way. This may jar a stuck needleloose. Since the seafoam doesn't come with a magic wand and it does seem to take time to work you might run it till it starts to flood, then shut it off and leave it overnight, repeating everything the next day, perhaps repeating the same cycle for a few days.If this doesn't work you will probably have to disassemble the carbs, in which case you might as well get one of the excellent rebuild kits from Randaks and four new needles and seatsfrom Mother Honda and give your carbs a new life.

If on the other hand you also have head gasket issues, and white smoke and copious quantities of steam and water from the tail pipes usually indicate this, then you have to at least disconnect the carb assembly from the heads so you might as well rebuild them at the same time.

Carbs that have been sitting for a long time with old fuel, or no fuel will often build up a layer of white flaky oxide in the float bowls, and this stuff will plug up thevery tiny passages and jets. If you are lucky enough to avoid the aluminum oxide woes, you will still have a lot of varnish from the stale old fuel in your system so address that first. I realise that the bike sitting for so long has nothing to do with you, but most of the wise folks on this forum suggest that as the season for riding starts to wind down it is a good idea to add fuel stabilizer to every tank full, because you never know which tank might be the last of the season. With the ethanol you now have to deal with in the fuel the problem gets worse since it makes the fuel somewhat hygroscopic, or in other words it wants to pull moisture from the air and corrode the aluminum bits of your fuel system.

good luck, keep us informed...

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thank you all for the Help. You were all right on. I spent the weekend pulling the carbs off and cleaning them. I was amazed at the black gunk blocking the jets. White and orange oxide film in the float bowls. Also, 2 of the 4 floats were stuck. The float needles were stuck. What a mess. After cleaning, everything looks very good and new. From the Gas tank to the carbs was a complete mess. I have not put the carbs back on yet. Waiting for a fuel filter replacement and would like to clean engine some. If anything else I should do at this point before I remount the carbs?

I will upated you when I get this back on and fire it up. Hope it works out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.