Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning folks -

I just recently acquired an '85 1200 Aspencade from an older gent who could no longer ride due to medical concerns. He was the second owner of the machine and he purchased it in 1989. I think the title was older than any of the people that helped tag it at the DMV...

I'd never been into the idea of large dressers, but as I've gotten a bit older and more arthritic I figured I'd take a chance and see what the fuss is all about and MY GOD it was love at first gear. I'm used to cruisers (current VT750C) and sport-touring bikes (current NT700V) and I'm not sure I'll be able to go back to something that doesn't have a backrest on the highway after this.

She's a bit faded and dirty, but so am I and the bike isn't that much younger than I am. It is a damn bit heavier, though - being just over 200 pounds heavier than the NT700, making it a little harder to shuffle around a tight driveway.

She does have her problems, of course. Missing rubber boot on a mirror (replacement ordered, wish the boot was available separately) the black plastics are all faded and sun bleached, torn pocket cover, windscreen is basically made of scratches and haze and the tires will need replacing before long. As far as running and riding are concerned, each gear is a nice solid clunk, no detectable clutch slip, no starting problems, no leaks. She smokes a bit on cold startup on choke but it clears up.

The only issue I've really encountered is that she wants to stumble on tip in at low RPM. Twist the hand a bit further and it'll stop wanting to buck and smooth right out. Having only ever run V-Twins and parallel twins before, I will say that twisting the throttle to pass at 80 is amazingly smooth and relaxed. It has zero problems in the cruise.

I think I've fallen in love with this thing and hope to be around here a good, long while.

-Kelly

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,602 Posts
:welc: Thanks for joining.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:welc:

The smoke at startup is a common issue with the fours. It's not wear, its't gravity. Park it on the center stand and it should go away. If not, the oil level is probably too high.

It might also be Seafoam related, as I tend to run half a bottle thru a tank of fuel whenever I get a new bike or car that probably should have the carbs pulled.

I haven't tried to get the GL up on the center stand yet - I have enough trouble with the NT and it's 200 pounds lighter and has a well-designed rear grab handle. I should probably try it while wearing my stiffer soled boots so I can put more of my fatness to work. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
63,849 Posts
Hallo Virto

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts