Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm looking at buying a 1982 GL1100 that has been sitting for over a year. The owner says before he parked it the last time, he had overhauled the carbs. After not using it for a while, now it only runs for 3-4 seconds before shutting down. Is this a gummed carb problem or something else like fuel pump?

Anyway, while searching possible causes, I ran across this forum. Looks like you guys know your stuff, so hopefully you can help me diagnose this thing and let me know if you think the bike is worth messing with. It has 37,000 miles on it and looks to be in pretty nice shape.

The bike is about 1.5 hours from me, so I'll have to take a trailer with me when I go to check it out unless you guys can give me some info that might help me get it going enough to ride it home.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum blues. More than likely it will be a carbs problem. If you can see fuel in the fuel filter when the engine dies, you will know the pump is working.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Welcome Blues!

You can also check fuel flow by disconnecting the output of the pump, put a short length of tube on the barb to collect anything that might come out. Crank the engine. If fuel flows, the it's prolly not a faulty pump. You can also crack open the carb bowl drains to see how much fuel comes out of them. Might be a good idea todrain the bowlsanyway to get rid of any stale gas that might be in there.

Even if you get 'er running more than 4 seconds, how confident are you that it will stay running under load for 1.5 hours? You may wana bring a trailer just in case you need it half way home.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Put some seafoam in the gas tank....and try to run it some....carbs are gummed up...

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

My 1980 1100 was exactly the same way, with 34 K miles. A few seconds then died. The carbs were gummed up pretty bad. I did a randakk rebuild kit. Worth every penny. Some have had good luck running seafoam through it and who knows that may have worked for me. I figured I would do it once and do it complete.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Also, I bought a cheap parts bike that the guy couldn't get running. It turns out the previous owner used some gas tank sealer inside the tank that was badly pealing and gumming up the works. Check the tank.

Carbs are most likely, there are some great tutorials on here with photos and all. If you buy it, just ask. This is the best forum in the world! Welcome!

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the speedy input!

Welp, now that I've started looking more seriously, it looks like there are several bikes in the $2,500 price range nearby. A couple are '84 Aspencades, but then I guess the conversation turns from one of "how to get a bike running again" to "which is better, the 1100 or the 1200". My guess is that comes down to personal preference. Not having owned either, I will have to browse the comments to see what folks like.

Both of the 84s that I've looked at are ready-to-roll. I imagine it comes down to less weight/more options/easier to work on, etc.

The 1100 has a nice clean look to it.

Still on the hunt and I appreciate the advice that you guys have taken the time to send.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

My advice would also be if you have 2500 bucks to spend, getting a bike thats running and running well should not be an issue....keep lookin...my .02

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

tmdriverwannabe wrote:
My advice would also be if you have 2500 bucks to spend, getting a bike thats running and running well should not be an issue....keep lookin...my .02
+1

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

Regarding whether the bike is worth messing with, it depends on what you can get it for and how much "messing" with it you want to do. For $2500, you should be able to get a pretty decent bike that's ready to go. Also, keep reading here and you'll start to get to know what to look for on certain models (common problems, maintenance items, etc.). Remember these are closing in on 30 year old bikes so while you may find one that looks great, proper maintenance is much more important. Among the 1100's (1980-83), the '83 has the best gear ratio if you're going to do any highway traveling. I've never owned a 1200 but have ridden one that was properly maintained (thanks Bart) and I'd love to have it.

Best advise I could give would be to take your time and get the best one you can for your $$.

These are local to you and may be worth checking out...

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/2594548303.html
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/2592165996.html
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2570953636.html (probably the one I'd call on first)
http://killeen.craigslist.org/mcy/2590666166.html (another one that looks pretty good).

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

I had a 1985 Aspy I loved.

It was underpowered for what I intended it though. I hauled myself my wife and a trailer but climbing a hill was a struggle so I sold it and bought a 93SE.

It has more than enough power for what I needed. My two pennies. The 1200 is a GOOD machine but never having owned an 1100 theres nothing for me to compare it with.

·
It aint rocket science
3,921 Posts
imported post

Sitting for a year? Double that to be on the safe side. Do not even try to run with it with fuel of unknown age.

If the PO rebuilt the carbs before, he should be pretty good at it now. Have him do it again so you can road test it.

I would say to you, no ride, no buy. There are too many unknowns with a bike that will not run.

JD

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

If the 82 isn't running that should put it quite a ways below the ones that are. When you start talking bikes this old the ones with low millage often take more work the the ones that have been ridden and maintained. Not sure which model the 82 is but if any of the 84's are an Aspencade you could end up with some extra nice options. The Aspy typically had an intercom, on board compressor for the air suspension, possibly a CB, and the digital gauge set. Not sure there's that much difference between the power of the two but the fairing was supposed to be a better design in its day. Think I have read the 1200 was supposed to have a little more room so if you have a long inseam it may be more comfortable.

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
590 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum

I waited and found a 98 1500 that needed work for $3500

Unless you are into the classic wing look, you may want to make sure of what you can find that would fit your needs better. The season is almost over, you have time to search both ebay and Craigs list. for a real good deal

Just my opinion.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Day 2 of my search. Now it looks like that search may turn into a month or two.

All of you have very good advice. I'll mellow out, look them all over and educate myself about what to look for. There are some nice bikes around (SCB, I had seen all but one of these, THANKS!) and I'm learning what questions to ask. There are even a few listed on this forum for sale that wouldn't be out of the question, although there would be some travel involved.

I'll stay away from the 1100 that needs carb work. The owner had said when I talked to him yesterday that if he put the work into the carbs that the price would go up. Now that I've seen newer/better bikes for the same 2500, I'll tell him that I'll move on to another scooter.

One of them on CL that is relatively close is owned by a military guy who bought from another military guy... So, no telling how the maintenance was done. It looks nice but could be hiding some serious problems.

Anyway, just wanted to thank you guys for taking the time to help out. See you on the road. Sometime...

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Here's one about 4 hours away:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/mcy/2492763841.html

edit: When I got the guy on the phone, "everything works" turned into, "well, the back shock needs to be replaced". I guess he tried replacing the rear air shock (?) with a regular shock and couldn't get it to fit. So he says "if you're not a big guy, it's no big deal". OK, so assuming that is all that is wrong with it, is it still worth a look? A 4 hour drive to look at a bike seems like a long way. He is supposed to send more photos.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,152 Posts
imported post

The 1100 IMHO is probably the most reliable goldwing but $2500 for 1 that doesn't run is way out of line. I sold my 83 interstate 3 years ago when the economy was better for $2500 and it ran perfectly and needed nothing.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
imported post

blues... That is a really good looking 86 Aspencade. If it runs as good as it looks, that would be a good bike for you. Might wave $2500 cash in his face and ride it home. Here is a brightened up version of the picture with a little more detail.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

BellBoy,

Thank you for taking the time to edit and post the photo and your opinion. The guy will take $2,500, but no less. He says he will clean it up and take some close-up photos for me. Meanwhile, he sent some others that you can see from the link below.

86 Aspencade photos

It has been very dry and dusty here in TX and he says he keeps it in the carport, but not in a garage, hence the dust on the scooter.

edit: Spoke with the guy on the phone and asked about maintenance history. He says he changes the oil every 3,000 miles (standard answer, right?). He says he blew a head gasket and had both replaced along with timing belt(s?). I asked about the symptoms of the head gasket event and he said he had been parked for a couple of hours, went out to get on the bike and it "coughed and spit out white smoke". He limped it the couple of miles to home and trailered it to the shop.

Also says the front tire he put on in the 3 years that he has had it. It is an Elite 3, "probably has another couple thousand miles on it". That sounds like sellerspeak for "replace now". He will give the back tire a closer inspect.

Another edit: Just added a couple of new photos to the link above.
New info:
Back tire is Elite3, less than 2 yrs. old, good shape
Cruise control does not work
Repaired seam on passenger seat

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Check for previous maintenance records. We joke on here about pictures, if you don't have one, then it didn't happen, same with maintenance. If it isn't documented, it didn't happen!

If an owner tells you something simple is broke, like the carb dude, walk away. Why would someone not fix the simple stuff if they can make more money. Kind like buying an electric appliance off eBay when the seller says it's not been tested........ Yes it has, if all ya gotta do is plug it in and get $25 more for it, why wouldn't ya?

The aspy looks nice for the price.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.