Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been a member for a while but always read the posts. I thought I'd say hello and post my bike. I had a broken neck in 2020, to add to the whole COVID thing for me. That was October and I am still recovering. I went camping in May of 2020 and haven't ridden since. It looks like fall will be my first ride in a long long time. I live in AZ so missing a summer of 120 degree days isn't really a bad thing!

This is my 1976 GL1000, I bought her with 17k original miles (now 26k) from a farmer in MN on Craigslist. It was listed for only 3 hours at his 10pm local time. I called because if I had waited, I would have missed it. He held it based on my word alone, over the phone in AZ! (the 'MN nice' thing!) My brother in MN was there the next morning and the guy had had over a dozen calls....for more money even...and he still held for me! It's a literal (farmers) barn find. His wife looked at this bike and said, "Why do you need two of these things?" Pointing at his BMW........ So he let go of this one. For the price, he pretty much gave it to me. Included with the bike I got an original Honda Factory Service Manual with all maintenance records written on the back pages. The last pic with the long mufflers is how she first rolled off the shipping truck.

I procured a complete set of (3) Hondalines in pristine condition. I'm 6' 3" so I hand-made a custom seat from pan up to move the butt stop back 3"-4" which added much-needed legroom. There is room for a passenger, but I ride solo. (no rear pegs) I also found some ultra-rare NOS (still in plastic) "Traveling Tanks" that I stripped and polished. 1.5 gallons each.

The bike has upgrades throughout, Dyna ignition/coils, Michelin Commander IIs, Lithium battery, upgraded small bore master cylinder, Fox Nitrogen adjustable shocks, Sporty mufflers, "tombstone" taillight, LEDs all around, including driving lights and Kuryakyn rear taillights, Yamaha FZ mirrors, and a rare factory chrome "LTD" kickstand that I bought before my surgery (not installed yet) The Lesters were on it when I got it. There is an Air Horn in the stock location. I also have the lighted air dam below the radiator. I had just done the oil when some of these pics were taken. 19" National Cycle screen works perfectly with the lines of the bike, almost disappearing. I just picked up some NOS saddlebag crash bars that I cant put on just yet due to my neck/back, Nothing has been done that can't be bolted back on to make it 100% stock again, including the harness. Both of these are pet peeves to keep original.

It gets looks everywhere I go. Quite literally. I'll get gas and when I come out, someone is circling it and asking questions. Even when I rode with my Road King buddies, people will pass theirs to get to mine in the parking spot. I think it's the only reason they let my metric bike ride with them......its different. lol She is a runner and I love her!

Hopefully, I'll recover enough to ride in the fall. If I can't ride, (Dr. says no.....) I may have to sell her.
Thanks for reading this far!

Attachments

Reactions: DaveO430

·
Administrator
27,754 Posts
Welcome. Stupid spam filter had you blocked but I fixed it.

·
Premium Member
72,967 Posts
Hallo Franchise2k

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your health and your Wing.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,483 Posts
Welcome and that is a gorgeous looking bike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hallo Franchise2k

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your health and your Wing.
Hey, thanks a lot. I'm over the hump now.. Just time from here out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome and that is a gorgeous looking bike
Thank you. It helps to start with a solid bike. I think I could actually break even if I sold her. lol Saves a ton in labor doing stuff yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome. Stupid spam filter had you blocked but I fixed it.
Lol I am off to a good start being blocked by an Admin!
Thanks for the welcome

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,483 Posts
Lol I am off to a good start being blocked by an Admin!
Thanks for the welcome
Actually the Forum Software blocked you,
the Admin unblocked you so that we can all see you. 👀

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually the Forum Software blocked you,
the Admin unblocked you so that we can all see you. 👀
Spam purposes, I suppose. Its good to be seen. =)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, son of a gun if someone didn't pull up today and ask me if it was for sale. I said everything is for sale for the right number, not thinking he'd actually take the number I gave him when he asked me. He tried to come down, but I held firm because I didn't really want to sell. He said "ok. I'll be back at 5 with a trailer." I'm not thinking that I came in too low, like a lot of times when a sale goes too easily. lol I think he just really liked it.

After he left, I sat down in disbelief and looked at my daughter, "I can't believe I just sold my bike."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts