Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My story: I am bikeless at the moment, but looking. I found this forum while searching for possible new mounts. I have been riding for 30+ years on all types
of 2 and 3 wheelers, on and off road. The most pure fun I've had on a motorcycle was road racing andinstructing at track days here in the Midwest area.My needs are changing now, along with what my body is capable of,so I'm looking for a touring bike that my wife and I could do weekend trips on. Obviouslya Wing would be more than cushy enough for her and my sore back, but I need something that still handles well.

So, my question: Is it possible to make a bike this big handleand stop well? Have folks modded the suspension tofirm things up a bit and get some more ground
clearance? Are different brake pads available?Some friends are advising me to look
at a 2009 and up Road King as Harley hassupposedly improved the touring frame, but I can't seem to get next to that idea. Also considering Dual Sports, such as a GS or the new Yamaha Tenere. I'm told they can be made comfy for a pillion.
My first full size bike was an '01 Interstate, so I guess I am being drawn back to my roots with investigating what Honda now has to offer.

Thanks for listening and point me in the right direction if this has been discussed elsewhere. I'm from the Chicago area, so if there are locals that would like totalk, PM me.

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

WELCOME:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

Hello and Welcome

If you post your question in the General Forum I think you will have possibly more response . Many folks dont always look here .

You may have seen this video as its been around a while . Its an 1800 being thrashed about on the DragonsTail : deals gap on a goldwing/gl1800 by yellow wolf dragons tail - YouTube

Yellow Wolf does check in on this forum at times and perhaps you can contact him by PM .

I believe member " Longboater " from Fl has had some suspension work done to his 1800 as well as a couple other members who may be able to give some first hand thoughts to the upgrades they had done .

There are levels of brake pads , check at EBC Brakes : EBC Brakes - Brakes for Cars, Motorcycles, Trucks and SUV

Dont forget to consider the ABS system if you purchase a new Goldwing .

IF you dont need the size of an 1800 , there is always the ST1100/1300 family . ITs more to sport touring i'd say . member "Cousin Jack " and a couple others here can tell you about the ST .

I wish you the best in selecting a new bike for your touring trips .

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

If your wife is happy you will get to ride more...:kissing:

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

You may also want to check out a Kawasaki Concours .

I didn't say that.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Is it possible to make this big bike handle and stop well? IMHO, it does that stock straight from the factory. Can you modify it to make even better? YEP!! I have installed the Race Tech fork springs in the front and love those springs.. Their are other options as well. Progressives and Traxxion.A lot of guys here havethem.From all that I have read Traxxion is the way to go if you want to spend the money.
As for the braking, check out the ABS models. I love the ABS and have not been able to lock up the brakes at all and have had some close calls in which I definitely needed to make an abrupt stop.

For the weekend ride with a bad back.. Then make sure you get a nice backrest and a nice sheepskinseat cover. Do not get me wrong the stock seat is not bad at all for a weekend, but with those two other items, you can go for more than just a weekend and still have no soreness.

Good luck in your decision and no matter what you decide to get, you are always welcome here on this forum.

:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

I Roadraced as a kid also (TD250's) and just finished a 4800 mile tour on a 2010 Goldwing. If you didn't know what you were riding you would have thought you were on a sport bike as we sliced through the canyons of Utah, Wyoming and Montana.

I can't say enough about the handling characteristics of the new Wings.

Ride safe !

Kurt

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i will echo that sediment --- if mama anit happy--- anit no body happy.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

I ride with three particlar gents, one 72, one 68 and one 67. They all ride GL1800 stock bikes. They ride the turns of mountain roads that make Deals Gap look like a drag strip, like they were on Sport bikes. They have no problem with clearance, stopping, speed and handleing these bikes. I know because I can't keep up with them so I get a front row seat watching what they and the bikes do from the back. Get a wing and you will never be sorry!

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

As a former road racer, you will appreciate the lower center of gravity that any model of Goldwing offers over other touring bikes.

As you well know, the fuel cell on a Goldwing is located under the seat, bringing that weight below the rider. Ride 1000 miles or so on a Wing, then hop on any HD made, and you'll feel the difference immediately. The HD will feel extremely top heavy. If you're on an Ultra, you'll also feel the effects of the batwing fairing mounted directly to the handlebars. It will fight you constantly at speed.

Through the years and models, Honda has put alot of R&D into the suspension and angles in the Wing series. What they've developed is a road eating couch on 2 wheels that handles almost as nimbly as a sport bike with a power plant that will, when properly maintained, supply 200,000 to 300,000 miles of virtually trouble free operation...Unlike the HD which will need the top end rebuilt every 40,000 and the bottom end done every 80,000. Their salesmen will tell you that this isn't the case, but catch one of their mechanics at a bar some night and ask him...he'll tell you the truth.

One can always look into changing the springs to a progressive spring, which will tighten the suspension up even more, and give you a sportier feel.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

You may also want to look at the BMW I have a good friend that went from a 1998 1500 then purchased a 2002 BMW and now back to a 1800 wing, he said the BMW was hands down a gunner ride for the driver and still pretty comfy, he said forks and brakes were very nice, he did put 120,000 miles on it so it most be pretty decent on comfort, just something to consider

Kerry

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
What they've developed is a road eating couch on 2 wheels that handles almost as nimbly as a sport bike with a power plant that will, when properly maintained, supply 200,000 to 300,000 miles of virtually trouble free operation...
I second this. :) I love my wing. I keep telling my coworkers that it's a road couch rocket. :cheesygrin: I haven't tried any other cruisers but I did look at and sit on a HD in the store and it just wasn't as comfortable. Also, the V-twin might have the nice torque, but the 6 cylinder gl1800 has good top speed and it can get you there fast. :)

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome flysaab[/align]

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Ahhhh heck, get a sidecar rig. Momma will like it better as most have full covers on them that gets the passenger out of the weather while you have to get soaked.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I Roadraced as a kid also (TD250's) and just finished a 4800 mile tour on a 2010 Goldwing. If you didn't know what you were riding you would have thought you were on a sport bike as we sliced through the canyons of Utah, Wyoming and Montana.

I can't say enough about the handling characteristics of the new Wings.

Ride safe !

Kurt

Thanks to all for the info and encouragement to take the plunge. Kurt, you mention
"new Wings". I know they have made periodic changes over the years, but are there certain models that are better than others to start with? I also see there are a few for sale here that already are set up with the Traxxion mods. I've learned buying something alreadydone, or close to it, is sometimes cheaper in the long run than starting from scratch.One more question. What are the best tires ifyour main priority is good handling?

Great forum folks and may all your sides be low

Mike

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum flysaab! :waving:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

You simply cannot go wrong with a Goldwing if you are looking for the best touring bike out there. Nothing else even comes close. To me, bikes like the ST1300, FJR1300, and Concours are far to uncomfortable for touring due to their sportbike riding position. This also seems to apply to every BMW made, with the exception of the R1200C, and you certainly don't want one of those to carry your wife on. You will never get to go riding. Everybody seems to think the new BMW K1600GT is a competitor to the Goldwing, but I see it as a competitor to the sport touring bikes I mentioned above. The Goldwing is in a class by itself. The only competition it ever had was Japanese, the Yamaha Venture, Kawasaki Voyager, and Suzuki Cavalcade. They are all gone now.

As for how it handles, just watch the video of that Yellow Wolf guy. If you are a former roadracer, that is what you can get out of a Goldwing.

I have never done any roadracing, but did plenty of MX during my younger days. Got hurt so much I finally had to give it up or lose my job. I have ridden a number of sportbikes, they were very uncomfortable, and I always saw them as very narrowly focused bikes, just like an MX bike. They are for sport riding only, not for long distance touring. Way back, I rode a '94 Yamaha YZF1000 from Phoenix, AZ to San Francisco and back, and am convinced I did permanent damage to myself. I have had a lot more pain ever since.

I used to, and still do tour on cruisers, but at age 52, I am definitely going in the Goldwing direction.

If you had an '01 Interstate, which if I remember was based on the Valkyrie, you will probably love the 'Wing

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
imported post

:action:Welcome to the greatestforum on the net:action:
and
:action:Welcome from the "Hoosier State":action:

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Welcome, WelcomeTo Steve Saunders Goldwing Forum.If you have any questions no matter how trivial they may seem this forum is the place to ask them. What I have noticed is that some of the people here were :15red:'sin their previous lives and can answer any question you have. Theforums that I get the most from are::

Goldwing Technical Forum

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

These have the best info aboutGoldwing’s and are where you ask questions and can get help..

For Sale/Wanted ForumGood stuff for Sale or if you have old parts sitting around the garage you would like to get rid of....

:18red::15red::12red::11red:

And when all you need is a good laugh to start your day try the:: Fun Forum After that it’s up to you which of the others you will like the best all I can do is suggest.

Again Welcome to the Forum...

Oh and did I mention everyone here loves pictures.. Show us some of yours... Even if it’s not a Goldwing just a pretty view

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.