Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, I am a new member having just purchased a 2005 1800 Saturday. My first bike was a honda 305 and I loved it. I drove it from Homestead Florida to Pensacola Florida almost every weekend for three months. I was stationed at Homestead in 1967 between Viet-Nam tours. I traded a Kawasaki Nomad 1500 for the wing. I just finished my third cross-country when I decided to get a bike that was more comfortable for my wife. I have figured everything out about the bike except how to get it on the center stand. Any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, why not ask the wife for help..... Just kidding, I don't own an 1800:whinger:, but stick around, others are sure to chime in.... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome to the best goldwing forum this side of cyber space ....If you type in STAND in the search box you will get all the info you need ,this subject has cropped up many times ...But to answer your question ,,,You press down on the stand rather than lifting the bike ...the more pressure you put on the stand with your foot the easier it is to put the biker on the stand...cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Well you can try kicking cursing and spitting at it and if all that fails I am out os suggestions:baffled: :goofygrin:

BTW Welcome to the greatest GW forum on the net:waving:

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

Welcome Richard, I used to know I guy here named Mike Coffey. However that was 20+ years ago!:grinner:

Enjoy your new scoot and ride safe!:jumper::11red:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome to a Great Forum Coffey Boy, I hope you enjoy it. You can find out so much about your Goldwing and of course deer alerts. :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Welcome "Coffey Boy" to the "WGGWWS" !!

Our Official Greeter "RedWing" will be along soon to Welcome you!

Glad you bought such a great bike(1800), wish I had one!

Watch out for those "Gator Crossings" !:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I kown in Nevada all of you think that there are gators all over Florida and for the most part that is true. I live in the panhandle I know there are gators around here but I have never seen one off the University of West Florida campus. Florida is actually two states. Where I live it is called LA (Lower Alabama) BTW I love riding in Nevada.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

There are a lot of Coffey's in Virginia and North Carolina. They all are probably related to me but I do not know any of them. The Coffey clan came over from Ireland a couple hundred years ago and many of them settled in Virginia and the surrounding states.My grand dad came to the panhandle of Florida from Sand Mountain Alabama as a little boy around 1900.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I had already found out about deer alerts prior to joining this forum. My friend has them on his wing. We just did our second cross-country together and I reseached them when I saw his. Even before the research I had my doubts about their effectiveness because it only makes since that the deer will hear the bike before the whistle. I think they are a good conversation piece though, just look how much conversation they have sparked here on this forum.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

coffey Boy wrote:
The Coffey clan came over from Ireland
I'll ask for forgiveness first.

So does this mean that you werederived from fancy "Imported Coffey"? :grinner: :goofygrin: :grinner: :goofygrin:

:waving: :waving: Welcome to the GREATEST GOLDWING FORUM on the net! :waving: :waving:

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
coffey Boy wrote:
The Coffey clan came over from Ireland
I'll ask for forgiveness first.

So does this mean that you werederived from fancy "Imported Coffey"? :grinner: :goofygrin: :grinner: :goofygrin:

:waving: :waving: Welcome to the GREATEST GOLDWING FORUM on the net! :waving: :waving:
And I never realized we imported Coffey from Ireland

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
imported post

I have just progressed from a 1500to an 1800. I find putting the 1500 onto the center stand really is a piece of cake by simply standing on the the centerstand and using my weight to push the stand down and hence the bike rises onto the stand. The 1800 however is totally different I have to stand on the centerstand and lift the grab handle at the same time, even then it is a struggle and I am a big guy.I reckon Honda must have altered the Center of Gravity or the length/angle of the center stand between the 1500 &1800.Idon't know how some of the smaller/lighter guys manage at all.I have found on both bikes it pays to look where you park. If you park with the bike facing uphill even on a small incline it can be very difficult if not impossible to rock it off the center stand.

Regards to all,

John S

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey coffey boy :waving:Greetings to the land of a thousand welcomes :clapper:and to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :weightlifter: The best of Good Irish Luck with your new :18red:this is a super machine. I dont own an :18red:myself, but i have the use of my neighbours whenever it's available, :jumper:which is most of the time. :clapper:

:toast: :18red: :toast:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hey "Coffey" maybe your relatives from "Ireland" invented "Irish Coffee", back in mu drinking days we use to use it like Anti-freeze for our bodies in Chicago,Ha! Don't touch the stuff anymore!

Coffey boy you could invest in a "ride off center stand" don't know what they cost but heard they work great!?:clapper:

And whenI was in Florida years agoI sure saw lots of Gators, butI was close to the Everglades, and that same week a college student got ate trying to go for a swim!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

coffey Boy wrote:
Hello, I am a new member having just purchased a 2005 1800 Saturday. My first bike was a honda 305 and I loved it. I drove it from Homestead Florida to Pensacola Florida almost every weekend for three months. I was stationed at Homestead in 1967 between Viet-Nam tours. I traded a Kawasaki Nomad 1500 for the wing. I just finished my third cross-country when I decided to get a bike that was more comfortable for my wife. I have figured everything out about the bike except how to get it on the center stand. Any suggestions.
after we had riden two-up, and then three (with sidecar) and then four (with bigger sidecar) well, long and short... what was more comfortable for both of us was two bikes (of course at one time we actually owned five bikes at once) Now we are down to three running bikes and lots of parts that someday will turn into a '75 chopped cruiser

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.