Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good Morning,

I posted a question about whether heated seats and Nav are necessary on the General Discussion forum before I saw this one.We are considering an 08 or 09 'Wing. My wife and I are in our 50s. It's been 30+ years sinceI've riden and she just had her first ride this weekend. In about 6 months she has gone from "NO WAY" to "LET'S RIDE". The economy being what it is, I don't want to spend any more than necessary to have something we can enjoy long term. Are heated seats and NAV necessary in the long term? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,674 Posts
imported post

rexter wrote:
......... The economy being what it is, I don't want to spend any more than necessary to have something we can enjoy long term. Are heated seats and NAV necessary in the long term? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Good morning rexter and welcome to our forum. We unabashedly consider it to be the best on this planet ;)

My considered opinion is that no, heated seats and/or NAV definitely are not to be considered necessary.

Your comfort can be taken care of a lot cheaper with good clothing. However, if you plan on doing a lot of riding in sub-tropical temperatures, maybe creature comfort might weigh into your decision process. For me, though, it is not.

NAV, as implemented on the gl1800 is something that has a lot of detractors as well as those who think it is very neat.

Once you become acquainted with it, you will appreciate that it is enclosed as a part of the package. That means it won't get stolen while you are inside a restaurant, or while it is parked at a hotel overnight. But at a $1,000 premium for something that cannot be updated easily or cheaply ($200 per update), I probably would not buy it for me.

You can buy a lot of GPS units for under $200 a whack that are new, or reconditioned like new, or discontinued but still current. And all of these can be updated for nothing or maybe $75/update.

You can buy a new GPS for what an update will cost, and then you have two of them. That way you can leave one in/on each vehicle you own :)

Welcome to our forum, do come again.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
imported post

Welcome rexter I agree with AZgl1500 on this one I know many 1800 owners who feel the same way also. Welcome to the forums.:waving:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks to all for your responses. It will help me make a choice.

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!!! :waving:I hope you find this forum as informative and fun as we do!!! :cooldevil:

Again, Welcome aboard!! :action:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Welcome from sunny Southern California, you have come to the right place

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

:jumper:Hi! rexter

I personally thought at first it wasn't necessary, but now I'm glad that I went for it..........good luck!!!!

T/C

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from Florida. :waving:

I'm glad to see another couple like Nancy and myself getting back on the bike.

I went 25 plus years and got my first wing.

Now Nancy and I can't get enough of burning up the miles.

Ride safe and enjoy the time together.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome from Arizona.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

A big warm welcome to the site rexter, good to have you join us. :waving:

The answer to your question is no, they are not necessary, since both can be substituted with after market items if you so wish, or you can simply wrap up warm and buy a map!!!:)However, that is the beauty of buying a Wing, the choice to some degree is yours and if you think they are necessary then go for it.

If you ask the same question of someone who proudly owns a naked GL1000 he or she would probably laugh at necessary and GPS/ heated seats being in the same sentence. :shock::D

However, if you live in a part of the country where you will be doing cold weather riding then I would say that heated seats and grips are nice to have. I have them and love them. That said, my previous bikes didn't have them and I got by.

As for the GPS, mine doesn't have the built in one and I don't regret it one bit, I am happy to use an after market ( and much cheaper one) which fulfils my needs and wants. I do have to be concernedabout security, of course, but remove it when I feel there is a need.

Just my opinion for what it is worth and good luck with whichever model you choose, I doubt you will regret the choice, they are all great!!!:clapper:

Enjoy the forums and please visit often.

:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
imported post

Hi....welcome from the Netherlands!!!:banana:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

From Rexter.
In my original post I omitted to say that we are in Culpeper, Virginia. Thanks again to all who contributed. Today we made a verbal commitment on an 09 dark blue level 1. This has audio and comfort (heated seats & grips). Actually my wife seems to be the one that cut the deal. Hopefully I can provide a picture in the next couple of weeks. Again thanks so much for a warm welcome and great comments.

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
imported post

Hey! :waving: from Hamburg, NY
[align=center]THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO BE![/align]

If you have Goldwing Technical Smarts - GIVE IT! :2finger:

If you need help - ASK FOR IT! :blushing:
If you know of an event coming up or a cool ride you went on - SHARE IT! :banana:

If you have a joke or funny story - TELL IT! :cheeky1:[/align]
If you have prayers to give or need some - FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, SAY IT! :angel:

If you have anything bad to say to or about anyone on this forum - STUFF IT! :whip:

[align=center] WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!
:cooler:[/align]

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

this is my first post. I have an 08 1800 with ABS, heated seats, Navi and airbag. Personally I love the heated seats, even here in Florida they come in handy on a chilly day. And while the Navi system may be outdated and have a few quirks, it wont get stolen easily and it is easy to read at speed. Hopefully, I will never need the airbag, but if I am in an accident, perhaps it will reduce my injuries enough to pay for the bag.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome from central Tx. lots of great info. and people, hope you enjoy it as much as I do:waving::action:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.