Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am looking to buy a Glodwing for the first time! Have owned Harleys but they are to loud and unrelibable! Can someone tell me what would be the most reliable year for the Goldwing history! I am not looking at a new one, way too expensive! I am a mechanic and able top fix just about anything! I would apricate everyones openion! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
imported post

Well WELCOME aboard,new myself but you will get plenty of info here.I do think you will enjoy the Wing when you decide on which one.I'am trying my luck with the 84 Interstate,was a good buy and a bit of a project but it will let me know how I feel about the Wings.So far so good,like you mechanic by trade so figure what I dont know I will learn.Just hang tight you will get lots of help here and very good info.Enjoy your day and once again WELCOME:waving:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thank you for your reply dodgedartlover! Not many of those left here in Canada!have a great day to!

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Any year is a good year when it come to wings. Depending on your buget get as new as you can afford. The older the bike the harder to fine parts. I would look for a 98-2000 1500 or a 2005 ish 1800 if in your price range. I have had an '84 1200 I, a '94 1500SE and 2010 188 trike. All are great bikes but the newer ones have a lot of improvement over the older ones. Ride safe and enjoy. Welcome to the site

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

I couldn't afford an 1800, so I bought a 2000 Se, the last year of the 1500. Very happy with it. Look around this website, there is a section that covers each model in detail.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

They are all good bikes. That in mind remember that the GL1200 had stator problems and some early GL1800 had issues with the frame cracking.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

WELCOME to the FAMILY! You are the 55th member from Ottawa!

kentech wrote:
Not many of those left here in Canada!
And there's your first error. You're shopping in the wrong country. You'll get a much better bang for your buck in the U.S.A.. Have imported at least 6 bikes into Canada. Wouldn't be riding a 'Wing if I had to pay Canadian prices. But I am glad there are guys in Canada too timid to search south of the border. It's allowed me to work my way up to the 1500.

Having owned at least one of each series of Goldwing, except the 1800, I would recommend you get the newest of a series that your pocketbook allows. As with all things new the earliest models had there little problems. If searching for a 1500, I'd recommend you look for something post '96. Most major upgrades to the series were completed in '97. If you want to start with a 1200 I'd look for one that has the "Poorboy" conversion kit already installed. If it doesn't, be prepared to do it yourself. The stators on the 1200s are their Achilles. If considering an 1100, or 1000, do your homework on what the most common replacements are and then start hunting for spare parts. They are getting harder to come by.

Whatever your decision, start your search by reading thru the Forum's Guide to Buying a Goldwing: Goldwing Buyer's Guide

And then add this site to your Favorites: Craigslist Search Engine

And if you find one outside your area but you might be interested in the adventure of going to pick it up just post it on this site and ask if someone in the area could go and check it out for you. You will be amazed how helpful the people on this Forum are.

Happy Hunting!

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

The newer the model

The lower the milage

Just sayin':cool:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Thank you everyone for your info! I was hoping to afford a 1500 but did read about trany problems! I do like all the plastic and thanks to wpgfire I will look south to see what is avail and prices!

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
imported post

I recently picked up a '90 1500 w/ 174,000 miles that I'm thoroughly enjoying! If you are mechanical at all, the information to do nearly anything on it is located on this site.

Buy one and have fun!

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Hey there kentech, from just down the road. My '96 has turned over 200,000 km's, you won;t go wrong. Give a shout for coffee sometime. :action::action:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Hello in Smithsfalls! Did you pick up your GL in the area and have you had any problems with her? I may wait until the fall to see if I can get a good deal! We are having a good summer for riding!:waving:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

traded my '85 @ Carson's in Perth, only problem I have with it is turning it off. We've pulled our trailer from California to Newfoundland. it get's a little more of a break now since I got my '84 Shadow but no problems at all :action::action::action:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

:ROFL::ROFL: No - I can't seem to stay off it, I'm aiming for 300,000 km's now:action::action:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

Thanks for the advice, I am watching both here in Canada and the us for such a deal! I brought a boat accross from NY a few years ago an know it not much of a problem! There are good deals out there, just have to keep looking! Thanks again wpgfire!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.