Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm Brian, a new Forum member from Virginia and not yet a Goldwing owner! It has been 30 years since I've been on a bike, but I am considering getting back into it. I plan to take a local Basic Rider and Extended Basic Rider course before I get back on, but I have an opportunity to pick up what seems like a nice Goldwing now. I was hoping folks might offer some advice on this bike I am considering buying? The bike is in perfect condition, and low mileage. Is this a reasonable price for a Goldwing this age? Apologies if I should post this in another forum section. Just say so if I am in the wrong place! Thanks for any advice. Here is the lowdown on the Goldwing:
1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 50th Anniversary Edition

$5,700.00, Black, 1500cc 6 cylinder, Radio, tape player, Reverse gear, Less than 15,000 miles, excellent condition, New tires and battery, All Honda carrying cases, Current inspection, Intercom for two helmets, Backrest, This bike has never been wrecked or down. Stored in heated garage.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,707 Posts
That IMO is about the top end price for an Aspencade model.

A lot would depend on your personal inspection and test ride.
Does it have good/excellent maintenance documentation?

Does it start and idle without hiccups and without any surging of the tachometer. 800-1000 rpm is good. I like 950, others like 800, but a bit higher is better IMO.

I am moving this from New Members to the General Forum so it gets more exposure.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I live in Virginia and am pretty involved with a group, I see a lot of bikes sold / bought and offered .... and $5700 for a 1999 GL1500 Aspencade Less than 15,000 miles, excellent condition, new tires and battery, all Honda carrying cases, that has never been wrecked or down and always stored in heated garage ain't bad at all IMHO.
The intercom connections, radio, cruise, CB all are part of that Aspencade deal by 1999 as I recall.

Depends on color (black) and if you like it or not ? Just a very few years ago when economy was better that bike would have been up around, maybe even north of 10 grand.

I see Gold Wings stored under covers in unheated yards, sometimes not even covered. Mine reside in a heated and dehumidified full basement. Storage out of elements and sunlight means a lot. 15,000 since 1999 means it was ridden infrequently, but it likely was ridden some spread out over the years so that's good if that's the case.
He-double-ell, a 1500 taken care of will go 200-300K miles.

I like 900-1000 rpm idle.

Just an opinion .... from the Valley. :waving:

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Welcome to the forum Brian! :waving:

"$5,700.00, Black, 1500cc 6 cylinder, Radio, tape player, Reverse gear, Less than 15,000 miles, excellent condition, New tires and battery, All Honda carrying cases, Current inspection, Intercom for two helmets, Backrest, This bike has never been wrecked or down. Stored in heated garage."

Sounds like a good deal, but I am also wondering if there are any records of the maintenance performed on it. If there is, that might help justify the $5,700.00

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
welcome to the forum vafishman :waving: Motor vehicle Vehicle Mode of transport Motorcycling Motorcycle

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
Seems like a fair price and good bike to get. Blue Book is $6435. I just sold my 2000 yr model for $5900....and it had 100,000 miles on it. But I had a ton off extras on it. I would use the fact that the rubber timing belts should be replaced due to age as a bargaining chip............ and buy it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks!

thanks for all the great (and quick) feedback! I'll inquire about the maintenance records. What will those timing belts cost to replace? Anything else that will need attention due to the age of the bike?

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
You will pay 1/4 the price if you do it yourself. Are you any good with a wrench? The hardest part of changing the belts is getting to them.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Welcome:waving:vafishman

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
:waving:Greetings from N.Idaho and welcome to the Best Goldwing Forum on the internet. If used, this forum will supply you with great information and hours of simple entertainment.

Lots of bike to start up again with.
You are doing the right thing in taking those courses.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me.:waving:

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Greetings from another member from the 'Old Dominion' state. That price sounds 'reasonable' for this area. However, prices tend to drop around this time of year as some folks are putting their bikes away for the winter. You could always offer a little less, the worst thing that can happen is the owner says no.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.