Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have ordered a 3 gallon belly tank for the Valk. It will get me well over a 200 mile riding distance. It mounts behind the engine and in front of the rear tire and will be virtually invisible to see. It will have an electric fuel pump and will allow me to still use the reserve on the main tank. Planning fuel stops will be easier and less important now.

The next addition is a Batwing Fairing for the beast. I did this mod to my Vulcan 1500 and loved the look and especially the comfort it affords. Instead of buying Batwing fairings made specifically for the Valkyrie I am buying used Harley parts to make the addition, which is what I did with the Vulcan.

I know it will look like a Harley. But it is a Cruiser and already looks somewhat like a Harley; only better!:action:

Dubs

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Get yourself a trunk, and you will have a Interstate!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

I have ridden my Valk (a 1998 standard, the smallest tank on any Valk) all over west Texas without issue. I can assure our membership west Texas has a much sparser density of fuel stations than Tennessee. (By far!)

Based on a years worth of monitoring, I have found the very best I can expect is an MPG of about 26 to 29. And yet I have never run dry. EVER! (Knock on genuine, imitation, artificial wood grain!)

Now... while I can attest that there is a certain allure to having the low mounted center tank and the long distance freedom it represents... I am not sure such measures are entirely necessary.

Unless of course you ride hard and mean, stop after stop on the interstate with your winger friends like DrifterTex.

Dub's... I guess I am asking for you to convince me.

The limit of my range is determined more by my bladder than the size of my fuel tank.

Lemme know how it works out. Seriously... I want to know how you feel about this mod.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Norton, Yes that is the one!

us85south, like you I have never run dry but I do run with a group of Valk I/S riders. We do run hard and they are always having to plan stops based on my bike rather than theirs. But this is not the only reason I want to do this mod. It eliminates the problem of the stock fuel shutoff valve failing and allowing fuel to fill the crankcase and cylinders; the dreaded hydrolock. This mod will give me peace of mind that I can go two hundred plus miles without stopping if needed and no hydrolock issues to worry about. The added benefit of a lower center of gravity is good but the beast handles like a dream now. I can't imagine it handling any better.

I liked the batwing fairing I added to my Vulcan soI know it will be a super benefit making long distance riding and cold weather riding more comfortable than just having the windshield.

Forevermetric, I had thought about a trunk for the Valk as well. I added hard bags and a trunk to the Vulcan and really liked the extra storage space. But for now I like the look the bike has with just the driver seat. I might add a trunk later but found that for longtrips I don't really need the trunk and not having a rear seat makes it easy to turn down those wanting a ride. My wife is the only one I am interested in riding and she can't.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

Were do you find one of those tanks? I have never seen one. What is the price?
SORRY I found it on Google

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Ghost Rider 2, I thought about this mod a long time before I decided to go this route. I thought about buying an interstate tank and adding the Pingle shutoff valve and that would have cost anywhere from $800 to $1,000 to do. For half that I get 7 1/2 gallon fuel capacity and no hydrolock issues; plus a lower center of gravity. All good things. Plus, I have got to have something to do on those days the weather is too bad for me to ride!

Dubs

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I like the idea. The fuel tank is my only dislike on my Valkyrie. Used to riding wing and running 200 before fueling. I get on Valk and 130 to 140 I start getting nervous. I had had to go to reserve a couple of times before 140 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I regularly switch to reserve around 130 miles. It may be wthe way I ride or the hilly terrain; or both. The main thing is I will now have the capacity to ride well over 200 miles before going to reserve. And the other good benefit is fuel is no longer gravity fed so when you turn off the ignition fuel cannot flow th the carbs. The only thing the fuel cutoff switch is now used for is to switch to reserve when needed.

Dubs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.