Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just found this forum this morning and hope I can get some help. I love touring and Goldwing/silverwing type bikes. My problem is the weight. I ride my best friends 78 GW from time to time and it's great on the highway, but a bit much in parking lots and such (i'm a 5' 7"/140lb rider, but a 32" inseam). I'm not a new rider. I've been riding since 1975 and have owned a number of different bikes the largest being a KZ-900 (again way to heavy) and have about 1/2 million miles under my belt (give or take).

Last year we went to Niagara falls from indiana (I was on an 05 Honda Rebel) and the trip was a little over 1500 miles. We had a great time, but the Rebel although great for someone my size and weight has it's limitations and I wanted something with enough power for 2-up riding also.

My solution was to create a low weight Goldwing wannabe and I purchased a new Suzuki S50 Boulevard as the base vehicle (443lbs). This is a pretty strong bike capable of low 13's in the 1/4 mile which i'm really not interested in anymore, but it has the umph to get up if I need to. So far i've installed a national cycle street sheild that works pretty well and 12v plugs for some accessories. I have ordered a set of progressive shocks for a better ride (haven't recieved them yet). I plan on getting floorboards in the next month or so, but the hard part and mainly the reason i'm here is hard bags. So far the only ones i've found who make hard bags for the intruder is Badapple and Tsukayu. Does anyone have any experience with these hard bags? They look pretty good and I'm going to have them painted to match the bike. Later on i'll be adding a trunk and better passenger seat arrangement.

This year we are going to Mt Rushmore SD/Devil's Tower WY for our yearly bike vacation (leaving may 27th) and would like to get them installed before then (using willie & max raptor series bags right now). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
imported post

Hi Scott. welcome the best forum in the world, for any type of motorcycle. :waving:

As to your size to be able to ride a goldwing, I will just let you know I am about your size. I don't have any problems getting around a parking lot, town or across the country! And neither should you. I do warn that you are correct to its size, if you are use to lighter bikes. But it does take practice. Lots of it if you like to ride a Goldwing like you ride the smaller bikes. Most of us here would not have any problem keeping up with you with your types of cycles, maybe not quite so quick on the take off, but after that, look out!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I can do it. I just don't care for it all that much. I'm not much of a speed demon any more, but compared to touring on a rebel the S50 is a maniac. I just love going places on a motorcycle and Goldwing comfort is second to none. I just have to make some compromises for what I actually want to deal with on a daily basis and still get what i'm looking for. Hondas are the best bikes i've ever owned. It's just in this case they didn't have anything that fit my specifications. I'd never owned a suzuki before and they could certainly learn something from honda in the smoothness catagory, but it seems to run well and I'm hopeing to make a good tourer out of it in the end. Thanks for the welcome!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,867 Posts
imported post

I say do whatever you have to do to enjoy yourself on the bike. Its all about the wind in your face, the changing smells, the feel of the bike leaning through the twisties, feeling the forks stretch out as you twist the wrist...

Do whatever it takes to enjoy yourself. And, welcome. This particular forum is about "general motorycycle discussion".

So long as you arent here to pick fights, honest discussion is welcomed.:waving:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

No worries. I consider the goldwing to be the state-of-the-art in touring. And anything I do to my Non-wing will be to make it more like one. Touring has been a passion of mine for a long time and your right it really is about the ride. i tried national cycle and at this point nothing is available. I'll try my luck with the hard bags from the other place and hopefully i'll be satisfied with them. I do envy you guys that ride the real thing.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
imported post

I currently do not own a motorcycle right now. I did have a 1200cc Goldwing. Before I bought that, I was leaning towards the Honda ACE 750 or the Honda Sabre. I still like those bikes and would consider them today. I had the same question you do about the hard bags. My solution would have been getting some LeatherLyke saddlebags. They look like leather, but they have a hard interior. They are lockable and there is a "contempary" option and those don't look like leather. I found them here:

http://www.hoese.com/

They do have some that fit your bike.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the link ernest. i appreciate it. The thing I love about these forums is the fact that a bunch of people can really get together and solve a problem. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

Hi
Scott58, and WELCOME to the best and only goldwing forum on the www.

It really doesn't mater what you ride as long as YOU are comfortable with it. As for the 750 ACE that Ernestsuggested, that's a good choice as you can find all sorts of bags to fit it. Try an eBay search uder motorcycle parts/750 ACE Bags.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

having just spent a little over 7 grand I'm kinda stuck with the S50. Now the question is getting hard bags with turn signal options or finding a turn signal relocation kit. Nothing is ever easy anymore, but should be worth it in the end. thanks

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum. :waving: :waving: :waving: I had the Leatherlyke hard bags on several bikes and they worked very well and can be removed and taken in motel at night. You could also bolt on and attach turn signals to the bags. Have you considered making up your own brackets for mounting on your Suzuki?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.