Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am new to this site. I am a decent mechanic and technician with all my other toys and eager to learn what I need to know about my new 1996 GW SE. I say new because it only has 20k miles and is immaculate. First order of business was to change all fluids including final drive oil which I used mobil 1 syn 75W90. I found alot of gunk in the clutch reservoir and cleaned it as well.
My first question is: Should I change the timing belt in spite of the low miles and clean garaged condition of this bike? I am sure it is the original. A local mechanic has said No it doesnt need it. I don't neccesarily trust that assessment after 16 years belt age. Thank you in advance for your welcome advice and opinions. MD.:bow:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Santa has traded in his sleigh

You guys are GREAT! Thanks a bunch and I'm on it! My handle comes from the Ranger bass boat original bass master classic built in the mid 70s I bought after high school and still fishing it. I keep my mechanical soulmates for a long time and always preferred to use something with a ton of memories. It sounds like 'me an the wing' are gonna be good ol' friends and I look forward to talking with you all. Thanks for the welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thankyou Seasoned Wingers

I have completed all filters,fluid flushes, and changes, except for the cruise component and the timing belts are on the way. New dry battery arrived and is installed after trickle charge. I will install new spark plugs while in there. Clutch is now flawless and smooth as silk. I need to research and study before tackling the drive shaft and spline lube to make sure I am perceiving the diagrams correctly and don't get in there and get surprised. I was confident until reading a couple threads of 'drive shaft wont go back in' . Are there alot of gotchas with the shaft lube or easy by the book?? After the belt change I am considering just riding during our nice mild panhandle winter/spring(enjoy with wife). Then I can do the lube during our hibernation 100 degree period in July when it is not that pleasant to ride. Hard to control the urge to surge! I flushed and changed the final drive oil and am thinking the shaft might be OK until summer. But.....that might be impatience talking a little bit :ssshh: If I hibernate in the manuals and DYI docs/threads I may tackle it sooner. It is, again, an age and not high miles thing. I welcome any comments or voice of experience opinions if this sounds like an urgent thing. I can control my impulse to ride rather than do damage. Anyone think that shaft is bone dry in there and urgent?
:1996 and 21k: Thank you again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.