Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Hi MD and welcome to the forum and congrats on your new ride ;)

If the clutch master cylinder was real gunky, you may want to disassemble and clean the clutch slave cylinder too... If the bike is idling good and pulling strong thru it's range, the carbs are probably in pretty good shape but you might want to do a carb sync just to establish a base line and see where they were at...

The 1500's are like most Gold Wings are pretty bullet proof and with a little TLC you'll rack up a quarter million miles or more before any serious maintenance is needed...

You could check the timing belts to see what they look like but I'd be willing to bet they are OK... Change them if it gives you peace of mind or on the off chance they look deteriorated...

Good luck with the new machine... :cheesygrin:

Les

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
That is a great list by Alex and I had done all those things (except replace relays) over the years I had my 1500... My suggestion would be to buy a few relays and keep them on the bike... Auto Zone makes a relay that is compatible and quite a bit cheaper than the Honda realys... I believe it's nomenclature is a Pilot PL-RY1... It's basing configuration will fit the relay socket on the bike but you'll have to cut off the plastic tab with a pair of diagonal cutters...

Another critical area mentioned by Alex and others are the rear drive splines and the drive shaft splines... I have replaced more than one drive shaft on buddies bikes due to lack of proper maintenance (lubrication)...

Les

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
In terms of the drive shaft, I used an alternate method to Stu's although similar in nature... I inserted the drive shaft and then slid a 3' piece of 1/2" flat steel under it and then with an upward pressure flipped up the universal joint while slowly rotating the shaft... It pops right in - just takes a little patience...

Les

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.