Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Bealeton, VA - About 1 hour Southwest of Washington, DC.

I'm a year round rider who has been riding something since 1964. I commute daily on the Wing and my wife and I ride recreationally on the weekend.

After 217,000 miles, the tranny is finally giving up the ghost on my 1991 GL1500A so it is time for a engine swap. About to get started with a 2000 GL1500A / 11K mile replacement. It will be an interesting project for sure.

I've been reading a lot of threads on this site with lots of good information. Any helpful hints with the project will be greatly appreciated!!

Keep the shinny side up!

Papabear

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
You may already know the following but here goes anyway.....!

Just keep in mind there are differences in the "starting" and "ignition" circuits between the 1991 and 2000.

Relays A and B are wired differently and the starter motor is wired differently.

You may want to decide if you are going to use the 1991 or 2000 starter motor.....!!

The ECM unit is also different between the 1991 and 2000.

Also items powered by the 55-amp Dog Bone fuse are different.

Hope your project goes well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It started gear jumping between forth and fifth and the started with the metal on metal (gravel in a tin can) sound in the lower gears.

Thx

·
Premium Member
58,320 Posts
Hallo Mike Workman

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Engine Swap update

Well I got the old motor pulled and the new (2000) engine back in and am back on the road. I took a little different route which seems to be working without much fuss. I took the 2000 long block and everything else from the 91 motor except for a new alternator and a 2000 starter and then just had to swap out the motor. The carbs did not require any readjusting, 91 ECM worked fine and there were no modifications to the electrics, fuel or cooling. Took just short of 25 hours to complete the entire process (did it over the long 4th weekend). The most difficult part of the process was getting the old motor off the jack and the new one on the jack. The rest went by the book. I did take everyone's advice and replaced everything rubber on the 2000 engine before I did the swap along with new timing belts and a thermostat.

Life's good once again!! Back on the road!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Engine Swap update

The removal and the re-installation of the 2000 engine in my 91 GL1500A went pretty smoothly over the long 4th weekend. It took about 25 hours to complete the entire process. I would estimate that 6-8 hours of that time was getting to the engine, reassembly after the swap, and of course a few do overs.

I took the 2000 long block and everything else from the existing 91 engine without modification. It started right up (after I was happy that it had oil pressure) and the carbs were still within tolerance so there was no need to resync them. After the first week back on the road commuting I am getting just over 42mpg, power is much better with the 2000, and its nice to be able to roll through the gears smoothly again so I am pretty happy with it.

All in all not a bad experience. I appreciated all of the advice I received while I was researching the project, especially replacing everything rubber and all of the maintenance items while the motor was out and reading and following the 34 steps in the book.

Looking forward to another 200,000+ miles on the ole steed!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Hey Mike, My brother-in-law lives right down the road from you in Gold Vein....!!

I used to come down to the Flying Circus....!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Well I got the old motor pulled and the new (2000) engine back in and am back on the road. I took a little different route which seems to be working without much fuss. I took the 2000 long block and everything else from the 91 motor except for a new alternator and a 2000 starter and then just had to swap out the motor. The carbs did not require any readjusting, 91 ECM worked fine and there were no modifications to the electrics, fuel or cooling. Took just short of 25 hours to complete the entire process (did it over the long 4th weekend). The most difficult part of the process was getting the old motor off the jack and the new one on the jack. The rest went by the book. I did take everyone's advice and replaced everything rubber on the 2000 engine before I did the swap along with new timing belts and a thermostat.

Life's good once again!! Back on the road!

Ah......Mike, you found the difference in the starter motors...................!!!! I believe you might have made some changes regarding the starter relay B as well.......!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts