·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

From the web site:

Honda said the airbag opens in front of the rider, reducing the speed at which they get thrown off the motorcycle. The idea is to lessen injuries when the rider hits the road or another vehicle.

If you hit something and you go flying over the handlebars and through the windshield, how in the hell is an air bag going to help you when you hit the road??? :baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Mr.1200 wrote:
Have you seen this new Air Bag Deployed??

I'm not sure if it's the "Kiss my a** Good By" or the "Kiss me here" versions???
That's hilarious!

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Absolutely brilliant Mr.1200, the missus and myself have had a great laugh at this. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

There's lots of discussion on this at the GL1800 boards I frequent. Most of the reactions are negative, from what I gather . . "it's a motorcycle, for cyin' out loud", "it's a marketing gimick -- ain't gonna save your butt, no way". People getting a laugh out of the butt shaped bag . . . etc, etc. All this I don't understand. If you read Honda's literature, you find:

1. Honda spent over 15 years researching and developing this.

2. Almost 60% of motorcycle accidents in the US are frontal collisions (head-ons!).

3. In video demos, the bag seems to effectively cushion the (dummy) rider atcritical impact, preventing the infamous "high-siding" of the rider.The rider's forward motion is scrubbed, and he/she can fall easily to the ground.

4. There's lots offail-safe systems built into this unit to preventa failure to deploy appropriately, as well as to prevent deployment incorrectly at the wrong type of (or no) collision.

There may be other reasons to question the effigacy of an airbag on a motorcycle (like: will dealers be able to service it?), but concern for it being a workable safety item should not be one of them. In my opinion, I think Honda has succeeded with a dynamite technical breakthrough that should be a boon to motorcyling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.