Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Like I mentioned earlier, I am a newbie to the Goldwing community so here goes a few questions. Why would a dealer still have a 2008 and 2009 GW still on the showroom floor? Were they bad years for Goldwings? Should I stay away from those maybe have some unforseen problems? Any help or comments will be welcomed. I am looking for my 1st Goldwing and trying to make a wise purchase. Thanks for your time.
javascript:emoticon(':?',%20'images/emoticons/confused.gif')

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

Don't see why not I had the 08 Premium sound model until funeral $$ came in. If not for that I would still have it and as for issues mine had none if you don't mind me asking whats the dealer asking $$? got mine back in 08 for 16,500.00 you may do better than me being left over models.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Are these new bikes... or used? I could just be a "back model" bike...

Some dealers do things like this. In 1984 I bought a brand new 1980 (I saw it in the crate) CM400E at Stubbs Cycle in Houston. It was perfectly fine... had zero miles... and the warranty began on the date I purchased it.

I would be wary... check the VIN# to see if it has ever been registered before. But if he's willing to deal on an older model bike with next to nothing miles and the warranty begins at purchase, I'd consider it.

Oh... and by the way... welcome to the fold...

T

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and welcome.

it is my understanding that Mother Honda plannedtheshutdown of the Marysville Ohio motorcyle plant and subsiquent move back to Japan . So first they rammped up production to have plenty of inventory during the move of the plant equipment. As it would happen the global ecomomy fell apart at nearly the same time .

i don't know of any problems with the bikes in stock . I hope you like yelloow though as it seems to be the most prevelant of new old stock . Sadly I don't believe they are discounting enough yet . Best of luck in finding your Goldwing . I expect you should have other replies as well .

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
imported post

The price of NOS 1800s may not go down because of what they did and did not do to the 2012 model makes the older model more desirable. I know there are quite a few 2010s available but not surprised there are still some 08s and 09s.
No there are no inherent problems with the 08-09s.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Bad thing is that when you ride it out the door as far as banks and others look at it the bike is still a 2008 and the resale value is that based on production year alone.

Shoot them a really lowball price based on todays book value and deal from there. I am sure if the price reflected the 2008-9 value decrease and you were happy with the price you would be happy. Remember, you only have to make yourself happy when you buy anything. Unless you are married, THEN......

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Army,

I was surprised at the prices. They quoted the 2008 at $22,779 with heated grips and navigation only and the 2009 was quoted at $24,655 including Airbag. Comments.............smile

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Moneytrucker,

Thanks for the info. I just looked at Kelly's Blue book for 08/09 in excellent condition and the prices quoted was a lot less than what dealer is trying to get....But like you said it gives me a ball park figure to start with.....Will call them tomorrow to see what or if they comeback with counter offer.... I could always go with the 2012......smile

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Take a look at eBay. There are several new and low mileage Goldwings at decent prices. If nothing else it'll give you a good idea of what prices should be. It's not unusual for dealers to have older model 'Wings for sale. In 2008 the economy fell apart and motorcycle sales, especially for high-end motorcycles, pretty well tanked. It's not the fault of the bikes just a lot of people who were more interested in hanging onto their houses than buying toys. In my opinion there are no bad years for Goldwings. Add to that that mileage doesn't mean much on these bikes, condition and mostly cosmetic condition is what counts. None of these bikes has a problem going past 200,000 miles and still run like new. That's why when I decided to move up to the 1800 I bought a nicely tricked out '01 with 60,000 miles on the clock. I got all the goodies and paid less than half of what the original owner paid. It's always nice to let someone else take the original depreciation in the shorts. I don't much like the idea of a built in GPS because it's cheaper to buy a portable. For a couple hundred bucks you can buy a portable with free lifetime map upgrades. A Honda map upgrade alone will cost about that much or near it. The main option I'd recommend holding out for is ABS. It's a great thing to have on a bike. If you don't believe it try riding downhill on gravel and sand and need to stop.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Many years ago I was looking at a new oldstock bike and the dealer wouldn't budge on the price, so I walked. I think that's the case more often than not.

I knew that if I bought it, the minute I rode it off the lot, I'd take 4 years of depreciation instantly. I was also afraid of 4 years worthof dried out tires and hoses. I don't know if dried out rubber isa real issue or not. I was told once that tires don't dry rot very fastwhile they are kept indoors. So I suppose that a visual inspection would be be a good indication. I've got 15 year old rubber hoses on my bike. I've had to replace some of them in the last couple years, but 3 years shouldn't make much difference there so I might have been over cautious on that. Butin my opinion,thebiggest issue would be depreciation. If you are planning on keeping the bike for a long time, that will be much less of an issue. Seven or 10 years from now you won't even know the difference.

I think I would still expect some give on the price, but I don't think the dealer will go very far on that.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Wolfman,

The dealer called me three times over the weekend and left messages, but today after I called him and told him what I wanted to pay, I have not heard anything back. Sooooo I think you are right, he probably will not give or very little if any. But its early, hoping to year yea or ney by Friday....then its on to some where else....Stay safe and thanks for the imput.......:waving:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,193 Posts
imported post

I have had to turn down some things in the past couple of weeks that I wanted.

A Kubota zero turn lawn mower, I was willing to give up to maybe 7k, but the dealer would not come off of $11k.

That is 4 grand that he can just live with over the winter.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
imported post

I Just bought an 1800 2001 Goldwing several weeks ago and looked hard for months before I bought ...never did hear there was something wrong with 2008 or 2009... I paid $10’000 for my 2001 in Canada… I did seeat dealers in Canadabrand new 0 miles 2010 Goldwings for $22.500.00 ...goodluck

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

It's the recession to blame. Plenty of brand new 2007/8/9 GL1800's in dealers showrooms even now, because many people stopped spending.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:
It's the recession to blame. Plenty of brand new 2007/8/9 GL1800's in dealers showrooms even now, because many people stopped spending.
Agreed, hard to buy toys when they're trying to hang onto a house. I check the Harley Davidson index often to see how the economy is doing. So far it's not so hot.

Harley Davidson Index: a count of the number of Harely Davidson motorcycles on Craigslist in your area from one month to the next.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I concur that some dealers still have older models on their showroom floors, or in crates, and once they get it in their heads that just because they "have" it still new in the crate or never been driven on the showroom floors, they are not going to back down on the price..Yes I would be real concerned about tires hoses etc that have bee setting up for several years...For me to buy one those items would need to be replaced!!!!I seen a couple of years back a collector that goes out and buys old motorcycles still in thr crates..He hadtwo black, andI'm wanting to say two or threeblue 1978 GS-1000 Suzuki's, but he was asking about three times what they sold for new....

Not surprised that Jerry Stubbs still had Honda's in crates, He also had quite a few Suzuki's too....His main money maker was Harley's....I know I tried to buy a new Harley in 1978, one ofhis salesmen, when I asked how much this Harley was he replied "If you gotta ask you can't freaking afford it"??????....I had my title to my GT-550 that I wanted to trade in and a little over $3,500.00 in my back pocket....I went up to the office showed Jerry Stubbs what I had and I'm thinking that Harley wasn't that much, Jerry fired several salesmen, parts guys and shop people..It was this "clubs day" to be there to strip off parts off of the customers Harley's that they needed...I seen this Imperial Maroon GS-750 Suzuki on my way out.... I called Hunziker cycles, I wanted a GS-1000 in Imperial Maroon,he didn't have one in that color..He called me back about an hour later, if I would come in and sign a contract, he had found one in Wharton, Texas...No body else had in Texas had that Imperial Maroon...Went in signed the contract, the next morning at 7 AM I helped unload that GS-1000 still in the crate...BTW I still have that GS-1000, and One day it may get restored....

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Jason wrote:
Agreed, hard to buy toys when they're trying to hang onto a house. I check the Harley Davidson index often to see how the economy is doing. So far it's not so hot.

Harley Davidson Index: a count of the number of Harely Davidson motorcycles on Craigslist in your area from one month to the next.
:claps: Very Good and Very True!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.