Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, so I just got a 1986 SEi this past weekend for stupid cheap. This is my first ever Goldwing, so I'm learning a lot, and finding the problems.

I'm going to start with the most obvious one. It has no power. I took it for a drive and could hardly get to about 91 MPH (tested with GPS since the speedo doesn't work). I have replaced the fuel filter ($54!). I also opened the fuel filler cap in case it had a venting problem.

When I'm traveling along in OD, if I give it a lot of throttle, it just gets louder, but it doesn't really accelerate much at all. Just gets louder.

So, any geniuses here have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

On a side note, the air suspension doesn't work at all from what I can tell and when I went for a ride with my wife, we bottomed out the rear repeatedly.

Is there a switch to turn on the driving lights on the bottom front or are both of mine just burnt out?

That should be enough questions for now. I'm sure there will be more.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum puum

As to your discription of it getting louder not faster, is the clutch slipping? What is in it for oil specically, brand and weight.

Lights and suspension will need a test meter to see where you have power. Do you have the repair manual for it? #1 tool

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

The driving lights turn on with the appropriate turn signal, so hit the turn signals and see if they kick on, if not, they could just be disconnected... or burned out.

I don't think it's a good idea topull the cap. The fuel system has a return to the tank so it's supposed to be pressurized... theoretically.

The suspension can be pressurized manually assuming it doesn't leak... if it does, just rebuild the shocks/forks and then fill it manually until you can solve whatever issue you have.

Next, there's a small screen in the fuel line before the pump, and a big screen in the tank, check both to make sure they are clean. Check all 4 injectors to make sure they are hooked up, and check the ECU under the trunk to see if there are any lights on indicating a problem. Also, check the air cleaner/filter....

And... if you haven't already, I highly recomend flushing/bleeding all the hydrolics (including the clutch) and clean the little return hole for the clutch (I don't know where it is, but someone else who does should be around soon), and of course basic oil/coolant flushes as well.

Once all that is done, if it still has no nuts, at least you've rulled some stuff out....

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a slipping clutch. Once in OD, do the engine rpms go up relative to the speedometer? If so that is a sure sign of a slipping clutch. Unlike a cable clutch, there is no adjustment on the hydraulic clutch, so it has to be the clutch discs or springs themselves. Something else could be wrong if you have no free play at all in the clutch lever.

I would definitely recommend a lot of maintenance on a bike that old, and that complicated.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

only 91mph? hardly seems like a problem,especially if mc id fitted with a "tall" windshield

how is acceleration in 3 and 4th,goldwings are not a rocket in OD lol

·
Administrator
21,862 Posts
imported post

For a 27 year old motorcycle that, when new, a was maybe good for an actual 110 mph...I think you are OK.

Who knows how many sub standard, non-OEM pieces have been added. Thank your lucky stars the damn thing runs. :action:

As for the acceleration, keep the revs above 3500 and it works better. It is a motorcycle and prefers to be driven like one.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
For a 27 year old motorcycle that, when new, a was maybe good for an actual 110 mph...I think you are OK.
Well, but you gotta remember that the speedos on these bikes are so far off that 91 is really about 80... I know, because mine will do 95 all day long... or so she claims :ROFL:

It would help to have a description of the "gets louder" noise it makes at 91, because minehad a similar reactionwhen one of my injectors was unhooked, the revs didn't climb, the speed didn't change, but it got louder and burbly sounding at full throttle. Of course, mine did it at 70, but ya never know...

·
Administrator
21,862 Posts
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Well, but you gotta remember that the speedos on these bikes are so far off that 91 is really about 80... I know, because mine will do 95 all day long... or so she claims

Here's a cut & paste from the first post.

I took it for a drive and could hardly get to about 91 MPH (tested with GPS since the speedo doesn't work).

I have no doubt the bike needs some TLC. Just wanted to insert some reality into the scene, as he seems to think the bike should be able to do more.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I forgot about checkin' it with the GPS :sadguy:... in that case, 91 may not be so bad :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

So for starters, sorry about my typo. I have no idea how I got 91 MPH in that first post. That should have said 71 MPH. I had someone else drive it that owns an 81 Goldwing and he said this is way lower on power than his is. So I'm also going on that comparison.

I can't remember what kind of oil is in it, but it's whatever the Honda dealer gave me. I know it's 10-40, I just can't remember the brand. I changed the oil in it last night.

Regarding the possibility of a slipping clutch, it doesn't act like it's that to me. I rode it to work yesterday (65 miles one way). All of my speed tests, etc. are with GPS since the speedo is broken and always reads 0.

Cruising along in OD and it seems to go 65-70 just fine. When you go up a hill, it really wants to slow down bad. Giving it more gas just has a marginal effect.

If I give it lots of gas in OD it feels like it wants to bog out. And if you back off the gas a bit it actually picks up power. Not sure how else to describe it. Air cleaner looks fine. Took it for a quick very short run without the air cleaner, no change.

Not sure if this is normal or would point to anything but on my first fuel fill-up, I got 29.9 MPG.

I think it is better now than when I first posted. I've put Seafoam in both fill-ups at the gas pump so far.

I also need to fix the radiator fan. It doesn't work and the guy that had it before me hard wired a switch to turn the fan on. So if I'm in town, I have to remember to reach up and flip a switch before it overheats.

I'll look for lights under the trunk and see if I can see anything. The lights only work while it's running?

Also, what is the "Fuel System" light for? That was on one time when I took it for a drive. All other times it has not been on.

I did figure out how to turn on the air compressor. How much PSI should the front and rear be? I can't bottom the rear out as easily now, but I still can on a decent-sized bump.

Thanks for all the responses.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

'what is the "Fuel System" light for?' You have a problem Houston!

IT Means STOP, Leave motor running and check the light read out under the trunk, and check those lights to the post above showing what the lights stand to show you what is wrong with the system.

You may have a vacuum leak. So test all the hoses. Propane torch, unlit, on low, works good.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:

Who knows how many sub standard, non-OEM pieces have been added. Thank your lucky stars the damn thing runs. :action:

As for the acceleration, keep the revs above 3500 and it works better. It is a motorcycle and prefers to be driven like one.
The SEI will climb past 120 (indicated)-that may be the same as actual 110 but for sure he should be able to get over 100 MPH indicated. I'm with Newday-drive that sucker then jump off (after stopping but don't shut bike off) and check for fault codes. If ou can get the fuel system light to come on and stay on you'll have a better chance of finding a code.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
imported post

My 83 GL1100I Bogs down like that when you hit a grade on the highwayand you give it extra throttle. I believe mine is carberators but not sure. Tried SEAFOAM, carb cleaner, even a little straight Naotha. A little better but not much. I may try the torch trick and look for a vacuum leak myself.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

the sei/ltd's have a small cone filter on the inlet side of the fuel pump which can clog up,turn off the fuel petcock under the right cover and remove fuel line from inlet side and check,take care cleaning it since they cant be bought from mother honda
beware that the fuel petcocks sometimes do not always work 100%,it might still leak when shut off

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Here is some new information. Today at lunch I got the Fuel System light so when I looked at the ECM (ECU?) the W light was on and the 2 light was blinking. The 3 light was covered by a bracket so I couldn't tell for sure if it was but it looked dark when I looked back there at it.

For whatever it's worth, the previous owner stated that this Goldwing has always been low on power. My friend also bought an '85 Aspencade from him and it has much more power than mine.

I have not had time yet to do much work in the past couple of days so I haven't looked for that cone filter or anything much else yet.

What MPG should these get? I'm getting about 31 MPG, with the mileage based on GPS mileage, so it's very accurate, as opposed to crappy Honda speedo/odo.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me that you have a fuel delivery issue. Assuming the bike idles smooth, if it did not idle smooth then you are looking for an ignition issue.

If the engine is not getting enough fuel the sugestion above is good. Follow that suggestion. The improvement with the Sea Foam seems to support this therory. The Sea Foam is breaking down crud in the fuel system and the bike is running better. Look for other fuel delivery issues. Is the tank clean? Fuel filter replacement would be in order. Check for pinched or collapsed fuel lines.

Plugged injectors or an injector that isn't always delivering fuel could be another issue.

From what I have been told the fuel economy should be in the 40 MPG range at highway speeds. At 30 MPG either a plug isn't firing or back to not enough fuel is being delivered to all cylinders so all cylinders arefiring at full capacity. The other area would be to look for incoming air restrictions. With out the air cleaner on there was no change. Take a look at the intake system beyond the air cleaners. It may have crud on the runners and a small amount is not the issue.

Pulling spark plugs could give you a story as well. And if it has been awhile since they were changed it wouoldn't hurt to put in a fresh set.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

How difficult are the plugs to get to on this thing? I don't see them just in my cursory looking, but I'm sure they are hiding somewhere behind some chrome or something.

I have already replaced the fuel filter btw.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I have no idea if it's a California model. How would I tell? If "California Model" = "no nuts", then yes. :cheesygrin:

I'llhave to find the plug wires and do some following.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.