Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Took my 1st road trip on my 88 GL1500. Got a few questions:

1. got 30-31 mpg going 75-80 indicated mph. is this normal? seemed to run fine.

2. never had the "fuel" light go on. ran it to "empty" indicated; it took 5 gal. normal or should the light have been on by then?

3. Is there a "reserve" valve like on most bikes?

4. my buts really sore (421 miles). any recomendation for aftermarket seat? (wife was fine with the stock seat; no complaints from her.)

5. very nice cruiser but a real dog power wise; much less torque (especially below 3000 rpm) than my KZ1300. Normal?

6. Occasionally when applying the front brake the lever was real hard. brake still seemd to work OK. why hard lever?

put a firecreek accesories windshield on it; REALLY liked it. ditto for markland highway footrests.

thanks. Mark in MN
GL1500, CB900C, GT750, GS750, Z1, GT380, KZ1300

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Mark, consistent high speed riding will see the fuel figures dip to the low 30's. Riding around 60-65 is what returns the best figures, late 40s at least.

I think my fuels light comes on at just under 5.5 gallons, but I can't remember exactly.

Hard lever could be several causes. I'd fit new pads and see how it goes from there.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

No reserve "valve" Your low gas indicator will light up at which you have approximately 30 miles to fill. I found the 1500 to be geared rather nice. Like you said, not a whole lot of torque past 3rd, but I found riding the mountains, I made far fewer gear changes than I do with the 1100 and that is with hauling a trailer. This last trip I tagged with some HD riders riding single up and no tralier and I hung with them double up with a trailer through the twisties and the switch backs no problem. The seat I use is a Travelcade/Saddleman with a product called Saddlegel. They hail out of Rancho Dominguez, CA. It is the most comfortable seat I've riddn on and I'm into putting in 12 hour days.

Kyle

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, the low fuel light should come on around 1 gallon from empty. Running 65-70mph I get about 40mpg. Just came back from a 2500 mile ride this evening and averaged 43mpg. I ran the bike as far as 240 miles at one time and still had over half a gallon in the tank. On a previous trip I got 256 miles and had .6 gallons left. That time I was more worried and dropped down to 50 mph for the last 80 miles. Usually the light comes on just after the fuel gauge passes the red line by the 'E'. You do need to get over 3000rpm to get the power up, I'll bet you had to run your KZ1300 at least that fast or higher.

Take a careful look at your front brake caliper, the right one, to see if the caliper is free. A sticking caliper can give occasional changes in lever feel. Look at the pads, they should be wearing down pretty evenly, if one is worn much more than the other, you havea sticking caliper.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Nice looking seat Kyle. I'm hoping to replace mine next spring, my 13 year old seat has had a lot of use, looks good but might be losing a bit of support.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.