Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Having received my new air shocks from ProgresiveI found the hoses had been changed on the new shocks to the small plastic type. I was able to install the hoses by cutting the original hoses off at the bend-over clamp on top of the fender and inserting an inch long piece of inflator needle into the plastic hose coming from the shock. This will keep the little hose from collapsing when inserted into the end of the original hose. The hoses are a very tight fit and do not leak under pressure. I put small spring hose clamps on them to make sure.

Be sure that the needle end is open as some needles have little holes in the sides and a plugged end. I cut mine off so the air could enter the shock.

If you are using the air compressor I believe this a very easy fix. If not, the plastic sir lines with the new shocks have a schrader valve T fitting with them.

I will follow this post up with my impression of the new Progressives.

My original shocks had new seals but the springs and damping was weak and bottomed out even with only one-up.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Thanks- Will eventually have to replace mine on my 1200.So far they are holding pressure fine and seem to be no problems, but seldom ride 2 up. How about some pics.?

Jim

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I am not very good at sending pics. Not much to see anyway. Just two different size air lines joining with 1/4 " hose clamps on them.
Bobby

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Mine are the same way and need new seals. They won't hold air more than a few minutes. There is also an adapter that makes the fit the valve on our bikes. I have it. I'll try your trick and see how it does. I have some ball needles here in the my drawer and out in the shop.

They also sell seals to up grade Goldwing shocks to Progressive specs.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Bagmaster, I also installed new seals in my original shocks. They don't leak air or fluid but were just too weak to hold the Asp up from bottoming even at maximum air setting. The ball needle trick is working fine. I also slipped a piece of 1/4"vaccum hose over the small plastic hoses to protect them.
The new Progressives work very well, No more bottoming even with about half the air that I had in the old ones. I should have just got these at first as I wasted about $40.00 on th seals. Live and learn.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Bobby If i may ask,how much jingle did they set you back ?

Jim

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I need to get them fixed as I've finally added the sidecar to the bike or order the Progressive seals for the originals.

I also would rather convert the lines to copper instead of plastic if possible and cheap enough.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

The shocks cost #370.00 US, Jim.
Bagmaster, I don't see how you could use copper lines. The shocks move when compressed.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Maybe with a short metal flex line on the end?

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

I replaced mine last year with same. Mine were bottoming out and the original stock shocks were no longer available. I have had good luck with this replacement. Bike rides like normal again.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Ablationman, I have only ridden the new shocks for about 50 miles but I am impressed how much the ride improved. Costly but definitely worth it.
I ordered these shocks from Bike Bandit.com if anyone is interested.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

I've been toying with getting these. Am I correct in assuming that they do not just plug and play with existing connections?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

You are correct. See first post in this thread. My way of doing it works fine. I understand that there are kits available to connect also.
Bobby

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.