Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
‘91 gl1500
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to replace my “state of the art” Kenwood In my ‘91 Interstate. After mulling over several options, and the desire not to hack up anywhere on the false tank, I figured I would completely remove the left pocket and the “state of the art” Kenwood. What I have planned is to remove the whole pocket and said “state of the art“ Kenwood completely. Cut a piece of plastic the same shape as the pocket. Then drill the same diameter hole and drop the new marine radio. Now here’s my question! Is there something I need to purchase to wire in so I can use the current hand controls? If I can’t use it that’ll be fine, I just think it would be nice for the volume control. I looked around the site but couldn’t come up with a like thread. And ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
1991 GL1500 Interstate Cinnamon Beige
575 Posts
Being able to use the left hand radio controls will depend on the aftermarket stereo make/model you buy.

The following thread has a radio replacement with hand-drawn wiring schematics for his specific stereo. Yours might be different;

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
It all depends on your skill level. A radio with a wired remote would be easiest. One with a wireless remote could be hacked into your hand controls without too much trouble. Lastly any radio could be modified to use your remote controls.

·
Registered
‘91 gl1500
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So here’s the new radio fitting into place. Next on the list is wiring it. Took the seat and top shelter off, looked at the PO’s wiring and immediately broke down sobbing uncontrollably, then went into the fetal position with my thumb in my mouth. Unbelievable what someone can do to wiring. Put it back together as it was and took a soothing ride. I’ll deal with wiring it in later when I’m a little more composed.
Automotive tire White Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
‘91 gl1500
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An update. Radio is wired up and works. Sounds great. Kinda a strange manual though. Tells you how to bring up the clock, but not how to set it! And there are spelling mistakes in it. I’ll attribute that to the English/Chinese language barrier. Also, it doesn’t have a red accessory wire, so I have to physically shut it off as it doesn’t go off with the key. Didn’t wire in the hand controls though. No big deal. I plan on using the Bluetooth 99% of the time so AM/FM is just an added feature. Anything is better than than the stock “state of the art” piece of crap. Plus I didn’t have to ruin any of the original top shelter the way I installed it, and I have the original radio if I ever sell the bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts