Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am considering installing these air shocks that I can get from Cyclemax. I am wondering what difference to expect over the OEM shocks currently on the Bike and the difficulty to install them for a novice.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

I put a set of these on this spring. Seat and saddlebags had to come off. If you are at all familiar with a wrench, it is no problem, just time consuming. As I remember, one or both of a mounting bolts had a sleeve on it that I mistook for part of the bolt, it had to come off for the bolts to fitin the mounting holes for the new shocks. I was grinding it down when it finally slid off and I realized it was some sort of sleeve. The air hoses were easy enough to run and hook up, but there were a number of small O rings that could be lost easily. Connections only get handtightened, which I did. I have no leaks, they work perfectly and I love the ride.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

I have a set of these from CM as well, just got them but work has come in the way of installing them. Have a few days off next week and in they go. Then the front springs....

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
Bob , come on down the shop is always open :ROFL:
Thanks everyone...I think I will grab a set of these while in the States at Nassir 5 and attempt an install up here when I get home.

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Kimswang wrote:
I have a set of these from CM as well, just got them but work has come in the way of installing them. Have a few days off next week and in they go. Then the front springs....
Mike ( Onawingandaprayer ) did my front springs last winter while in Florida. We put the Progressives in. What a world of difference in handling. You will enjoy them.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Only difficulty I can see you having is the location of your aux fuse block in your right saddlebag, Bob. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward.

The stock setup on the 1500s is 1 air bag for load capacity (no rebound dampening)on the right and a coil over shock for rebound dampening on the left.

With the 416's, both shocks are air for load capacity and bothcontain a coil over shock for rebound dampening

Makes for better handling in the twisties and increased load carrying, as the 416's pump up to 100 PSI

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Hey Bob, have you changed your mind about selling the 15?

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Only difficulty I can see you having is the location of your aux fuse block in your right saddlebag, Bob. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward.

The stock setup on the 1500s is 1 air bag for load capacity (no rebound dampening)on the right and a coil over shock for rebound dampening on the left.

With the 416's, both shocks are air for load capacity and bothcontain a coil over shock for rebound dampening

Makes for better handling in the twisties and increased load carrying, as the 416's pump up to 100 PSI
Thanks Ken

What we are noticing lately is when going over a bump in the road Huggy is finding it rather abrupt as opposed to floating over..I have the air pressure set at 150 KPA ( 21.75 PSI ) and I noticed that the right shock's boot is torn when I had the bag off. So I just figured new shocks couldn't hurt..I am sure they haven't been touched since new..I know I haven't done anything to them in over 100,000 KM.

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Goldwinger wrote:
I am not getting any offers near whatI want for it and the dealer has only offered me $5300.00 on a trade on the Titanium 1800 at Barrie Honda..

We just feel that we may as well keep it and do a little work on it..It has 137,000 KM on it now..I am sure it will be good for a long time...and further depreciation down the road will be minimal..

It is running great and we have put alot into it in upgrades...and it still looks quite good.. ( like me ) :ROFL:

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Hawggy wrote:
Goldwinger wrote:
I am not getting any offers near whatI want for it and the dealer has only offered me $5300.00 on a trade on the Titanium 1800 at Barrie Honda..

We just feel that we may as well keep it and do a little work on it..It has 137,000 KM on it now..I am sure it will be good for a long time...and further depreciation down the road will be minimal..

It is running great and we have put alot into it in upgrades...and it still looks quite good.. ( like me ) :ROFL:
Which part is like you? a lot in upgrades, or the looks quite good? Or both? :action::action:

I have had these shocks on my bike for years, I would have to say they are the single best bang for the $$ I have ever done. Just be sure to follow the mounting instructions
carefully, especially with the washer set up for the top mounting bolts.

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I have had these shocks on my bike for years, I would have to say they are the single best bang for the $$ I have ever done. Just be sure to follow the mounting instructions
carefully, especially with the washer set up for the top mounting bolts.
Okay..I am sold...Between you, Dusty, Onawingandaprayer and Winger 77

I should stay out of trouble on the install and other stuff I will do...all good resource people...:raspberry:

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Hey Bob, I put a set on my bike and love the ride. You know where to come to get help putting them on. We could do it in an afternoon in my garage.:) We can talk about it at N5.

We could even invite Goldwinger down to supervise.:ssshh:

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Goldwings 4 ever wrote:
Hey Bob, I put a set on my bike and love the ride. You know where to come to get help putting them on. We could do it in an afternoon in my garage.:) We can talk about it at N5.

We could even invite Goldwinger down to supervise.:ssshh:
or we cud do it up here and make a weekend out of it for you guys along with Chuck and sally and do some Lake riding up to Tobermory or somewhere...

we'll chat at N5:congrats:

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

I just installed a set on my bike,did have a little trouble with the upper install, couldnt get the clearance they were looking for but otherwise a fairly easy undertaking. You will like the improvement over stock. I am tomorrow taking it to have the fronts changed as well, I wont mention where on the forum but I found the rear shocks for less than 320 bucks,also front springs for less than 80 bucks. It will surprise you in the difference in handling, enjoy them.

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

quikcarl61 wrote:
I just installed a set on my bike,did have a little trouble with the upper install, couldnt get the clearance they were looking for but otherwise a fairly easy undertaking. You will like the improvement over stock. I am tomorrow taking it to have the fronts changed as well, I wont mention where on the forum but I found the rear shocks for less than 320 bucks,also front springs for less than 80 bucks. It will surprise you in the difference in handling, enjoy them.
sent you a PM about the pricing.:ssshh:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.