Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Help me , I got a new rear tire for my 1982 gl1100. After putting the wheel on I noticed it is scraping on the right side. I have taken the wheel off twice and followed the instruction to on goldwingdocs , but it still scrapes. It is the right size....I'm confused.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
imported post

First I would check to be sure that nothing got bent when you pulled the wheel out the first time, ie fender tab or something like that. If that's all ok, check to make sure your spacers are in the right way. Changed mine a few months ago, put the spacers in wrong, and my wheel wouldn't move at all. Just a couple of ideas for you.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

ive seen them scrape the brake rod on the left side but not on the right unless the swingarm is from a 80 or 81. the 82 and 83 are clearanced on the right side for the wider 16 inch tire. JB

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

Yes I am curious what all you changed ? If only the tire was it a size change or only a brand change ?

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

You should have the Comstar wheel with 140/90 - 16 71 H tire . Have you changed from this size ?

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Have you over tightened the axle. Pinch bolt on the left side holds the axle in place, large nut on the right side adds extra tightness. If you over tighten it,it'll pull the left side of the swing arm over enough to cause a scrubbing on the hub inside the right side. I think its the differential scrapping against the hub. Stick it on center stand and spin the wheel and loosen up on the right axle nut. May have the spacer on the left side on wrong.JR

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

It looks like everything works fine till I try to put the arm on the caliper bracket, then I get the scraping...

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

PABWING wrote:
Help me , I got a new rear tire for my 1982 gl1100. After putting the wheel on I noticed it is scraping on the right side.
It looks like everything works fine till I try to put the arm on the caliper bracket, then I get the scraping...
Then it must be scraping on the LEFT side . Yes some tires will rub the brake torque bar . It can be bent for some clearence . It bolts on the top front of the swingarm . If you want to remove it to warp it , the bolt has a lock pin to remove first and its a little tight working up there . I'd try some prying .

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Funny you say that, you are the second person that said bend it, everything else is working ok, I think I may have to look at this and see what I can do.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

ive just got a 140-90-16 to put on my bike there is a difference in the swingarms from 80-81 swingarms and 82-83 swingarms the 80-81 swingarms used 130-90-17 inch tire it may be that some po might have switched swingarms it is a direct hook up but the indention is different. might be what is going on. ive also herd that some chen shang chineese tire rubs on some bikes. there is axcle sleeve there imsure you been putting that in there. a well placed dent in the swingarm might be all you need, thats all i can think of joedrum

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

I think we have it fixed. I put a 140-90-16 tire on it and it rubs, no way this tire will work. Measured it and it is the right size, so I am getting a 130 and putting that on. From what I understand 1982 is when Honda used the wider tire, but maybe this bike is an early version. Anyways the tire it had on it was a 140, but I never checked to see if it was rubbing, the previous owner may have just put it on not knowing, I have only had the bike for a month.

Thanks for all the great ideas !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.