Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the bike on Sunday. The first thing I noticed is the brakes are terrible. Th e owner said they were just replaced. I looked they had a red backing.

My other two bikes its two fingers on the lever.

Later, while bleeding them, I figured out the rear pedal does RF and rear calipers. So it was a little better. I moved the rear pedal up a spline so I can stomp on it.

Does the front lever only go to the LF caliper?

I ordered HH sintered pads for front and rear. Rotors measure great. .215 front and .274 rear.

Any suggestions?

44,000 miles, well taken care of.

David

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
If you have good firm pedal it is probably just hard pads that don't get a bite on the rotors.

·
Registered
436 Posts
What bikes are you used to, they will never be the same as more modern 4 pot calipers, brembo stuff or the like

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I moved the brake pedal up so I could reach it better. Its too low for me.

I have a 1976 BMW R75/6 that had one disc brake in the front. I wrecked in 1993. I converted it to 2 disc. Much better. Still ride it.

My other bike is a RED 2012 BMW R1200R. It has 4 piston calipers. Brakes are linked. Pull front brake lever, both fronts come on, computer puts on rear. I can feel it n the pedal. It also has ABS, Traction control and 72,000 miles.
Both only need 2 fingers.

I also had a 2000 BMW R1100RT. I sold it with 136,000 miles.

Wife likes the bike. That is why I bought it. Easier on our butts for long rides.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
436 Posts
You wont get a wing to brake like a BM, they use Brembo one of the best systems in the world and have you noticed the weight difference?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You wont get a wing to brake like a BM, they use Brembo one of the best systems in the world and have you noticed the weight difference?
Yep, this Aspencade is a barge!

BMW 1200 = 495 lbs..... 125 HP. ....
1976 750 37 0 lbs 50 HP.

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
I think what you are describing is typical of a 21 year old Wing. If you could ride the bike when it was brand new you would notice a difference. If you went through the bike complete brake job in every way you would notice the same difference. Over time the rotors tend to warp some. No big deal. Over time the pins and slides wear and that is no big deal. Over time the linkage gets a little sloppy but no big deal. Over time the structure of the rubber hoses tends to break down increasing pedal/lever travel but no big deal. Etc, etc, etc. When you put all the issues together it adds up. The 2 questions you have to ask is "if you apply full brake can you slide or nearly slide the wheels?" Of course that is all the stopping force you can get. If you decide that the brakes do have enough stopping power but it takes the full stroke of the lever/pedal. Can you live with the increase travel and if not where do you start. It seems the members who replaced the hoses were pleased with the results. I think that is what I would do.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
With a rider you are stopping near half a ton,my 91 could have better brakes but it don’t and I give myself distance to allow stopping but it will shut the bike down pretty quick but not like the BMW I had

Reactions: redwing52

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Redwing52.
I understand your comments.

When I bled the brakes, the front calipers were pretty loose. They float 2 different ways. First to fit the rotor and second to push on the anti dive valve. I could wiggle the front calipers pretty good. I pushed each one in with my hand and it moved quite easily which is a good thing. Then the lever went to the handle bar like it should have. There was NO air in the brakes. Rotors are not warped that I could measure. They look pretty new. They are worn more on the inside than the outside by about .010". No grooves or cracks. There is no free play in the front brake lever to the master cylinder. I thought this could be a problem, but if its blocking the vent port, it would make the lever hard and brake stay applied. Rear pedal has a little free play.

I am going to start with the HH pads and go from there. If I decide to keep the bike (which is looking good) I will go for the steel braided brake lines.

It runs well, shifts well and everything else seems to work like it should. Wife loves it. We picked up groceries on it yesterday. A case and a half of beer is nothing.

My R1200R came with steel braided brake hoses.
My R1100RT blew a rear brake line on a trip. I will gladly replace these before its a problem.

Can I buy new pins and bushings for the front calipers?

Last year we test drove a BMW K1600GT. It had all the stuff. Too much stuff, it was kind of tall for me and had a bazillion HP. In a whole it was more motorcycle than I wanted. That is when I told my wife we would find a Gold wing along side the road for sale.

David

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry about the doubles.
It took me 1.5 hours to wax it.
carnuba on the right side, ceramic on the left.
David

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Nice. Fastest color too.

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
David,
Didn't your wife remind you that you can only ride one at a time? :)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,705 Posts
wow, all of your toys look Brand New.....

when I had Stainless Steel brake lines installed on my '98SE, the difference in stopping power was astronomical.... just lay 2 or 3 fingers on a brake lever, and it started slowing down now...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
David,
Didn't your wife remind you that you can only ride one at a time? :)
Yes, we talked about it. The R75/6 I hope to keep for ever. We ride it for ice cream and local stuff. We ride it in the Distinguished Gentlemans ride for Prostate cancer. The occasional car show. I took her on ONE poker run. Once she saw the bar to bar thing, she understood why I don't like them.
The R1200R is my daily rider.
Until we met 4 years ago, she had never been on a motorcycle. Now she loves it and plans trips for us. We play tag on ADV. We trailer the R1200R to the Adirondacks every year and get a cabin. This year the cabin is already reserved for July 23-26. The discussion now is do we just ride the Gold Wing? Leave the trailer home? Its 275 miles to the cabin. It totally sucks if it rains all the way home on Sunday. I am leaving it up to her. We have rain gear. I stop every hour and get off the bike.

Tonight I wrapped the brake lever with a bungee cord and on the side stand. I have seen this help if there is a teeny bit of air.

Will weight the brake pedal too.

David

1 - 20 of 38 Posts