Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new GL and found out rather quickly that the seat was not built for an older person, that is 6'2", with long legs and weights over 225lbs. I have done some research by internet and telephoning manufactures of custom seats. Now of cause each will tell you theirs is the best. Some will build you a brand new seat which you buy from factory stock.(Ultimate) It is made to fit the larger rider and will let you test ride it for a extended period of time from their factory in Daytona or from a show site. Another builder will build you a seat from a custom seat pan, custom form and new leather from the ground up, using your measurements. (Diamond/Hartco) Of cause this means that you have to buy the seat and hope he is right-on when the seat is delivered, or you will have to return the seat for adjustment. Next is the seat builder who will take your original seat and rebuild it. By replacing the form and changing the shape to fit you. This again makes the builder try to get things right when the seat is complete, or he will have to take it apart and try refitting it. (local company in Tampa, FL, Stitch On Time). I have not included Russell Day Long, due to the manufacture of the seat being on the west coast and the problem of returning the seat for adjustments. And the fact I will be traveling on a long trip with 6 weeks and have to have the seat completed and ready to ride. The manufactures are all within 3 hour of my home Each has advantages, as far as time of manufacture and cost. I hate to make this endeavor a large scale problem, which cost me a ton of money and I am still uncomfortable and in a lot of pain. I would appreciate help from anyone who has faced the same problems and can give me some input in to making the right decisions.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
There is a Corbin dealer in Daytona . I believe all there seats are actually built in CA. I cant remember the name but I think there is another seat company northwest of of Daytona on US17 . Stitch may be a good choice because they are somewhat local to you .
I will also add that new seats need some miles/time to break in . They may not be comfy right out of the box either .

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
You might want to consider an Air Hawk. See if you can borrow one to try it out.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Try an airhawk. Very...VERY little air in it. Just enough to suspend you off the seat but not by much. 2253 mile vacation ride on mine last year, 265 pounds. comfy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.