Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Man does that look comfy.:)

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Is it a gel seat? I've also got a Travelcade on mine, but have the fabric rather than the leather. I sure enjoy it!!!!!!!! Not that it compares, but on my 82 with the stock leather I would get pressure points and I'm pretty damn sureI have a blown butt nerve. This summers trip on the 96 what a world of difference.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yes, it's a double gel seat, can't wait to ride it.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
imported post

Looks great tony, I remember you talking about it when I was up there. Finally decided to pull the trigger and get it huh. You going down to New Hampton this weekend to the Davis Rally? If so it should make the trip nice and comfy. Ride safe and I'll see you sometime. Randy

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thinking maybe Sunday at the rally, Norm's busy Saturday.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well...just got back from the first ride.

Boy is it hard...rode for about 2 hours...boy is it hard...supposed to give it 500 - 1000 miles for break-in...boy is it hard...the bucket is nicely shaped and give great support...boy is it hard...good support all the way across...boy is it hard...nice flat seating surface...boy is it hard.

OK enough of the ...boy is it hard...

The seat was more comfortable initially than the stock seat which has been beaten into submission over the last 16 years.

I really liked the bucket, it's deeper than stock and the back doesn't get pulled down when you sit, it's always there supporting your lower back. Initially it's noticeable, almost obtrusive, but it's always giving you the support you need, becoming more unnoticeable with every mile.

I asked to have the seat built a little taller, if you're not over 6'3" with realatively long legs, don't opt for this. The seat is also a little wider between my legs at stop signs, OK for me, I can still stand flat footed. Travelcade also offerssizes close to stock and 1" lower with a cut out nose.

The better half was quite satisfied with the pillion. She commented that it was a little firmer but OK. From her that's a glowing report.

I'll let you guys know more as I get a chance to ride more, weather has been really crappy here lately.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Tony, is your seat leather or vinyl?

Also, Kyle how old is your seat and how does the fabric seem to be holding up. I am considering a Road Sofa as an option for my GL1200 and am looking at either leather or velour. I just wonder how the velour will hold up over the years.

Both seats look very nice. Tony, I will be interested in hearing how your seat feels after a few hundred miles on it.

Please keep advised.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Mine is leather, I debated leather or vinyl, I thought velour would have a water problem that I didn't want to deal with.

Rode another 200 miles today, stopped by one of the local shops to get oil for an oil change, after I got back on the bike, the seat just seemed to disappear, getting more comfortable with every mile.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

This is a quote from the Travelcade site about velour:

[align=left]Velour is a fabric that is an excellent choice for motorcycle use. Velour is used on many cars, except the lowest cost models, because of its superior seating qualities. Velour has maximum breathabilty, great looks and is the most comfortable in hot or humid weather. The velour used by Travelcade is virtually weatherproof because it is formulated from Nylon, has a latex backing and is treated with heavy-duty outdoor grade Scotch Guard. Furthermore, the foam used underneath the velour has a non-porous skin. Travelcade velours are impervious to casual rain, drying quickly after a rain. Rain covers are recommended for extended parking or storage. Velour is slightly more expensive than vinyl, but is usually well worth the extra cost.[/align]

[align=left]Looks like they might have the wet thing covered. I am just wondering about the stitching pulling loose. I have seen this so many times, being in the van customizing business for several years. After sitting in the seat over time, the velour tends to pull and tear at the stitching points. This is what I am most concerned with.[/align]

[align=left]Hopefully Kyle can give me some insight on this.[/align]

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A:
Also, Kyle how old is your seat and how does the fabric seem to be holding up. I am considering a Road Sofa as an option for my GL1200 and am looking at either leather or velour. I just wonder how the velour will hold up over the years
I believe the original owner switched seats shortly after buying the bike new in 1996. Stitching, leather sides, and seat surface don't show any signs of wear. Yes, it does dry quickly if it gets wet. I put the original seat cover on (it does fit the wider couch seat) if I'm going to hit rain.

Tony is right "it's hard" but that is just a psychological thing he'll have to deal with. We feel if it is soft ....it'll be comfy.....WRONG. You don't have proper support sitting on a pillow. I have a soft seat on my 82 but have pressure points and after a few hours riding my butt and leg goes numb. With the Saddleman it is very firm but disperses your weight evenly and I'm 225lb guy. I have put on 12 hour days and no numbness in my butt. What's her name calls it her favorite chair, and claims its as comfy as her Avantglide recliner. I can't compare it to the original seat as I never had to use it, but this is by far the most comfortable seat I've sat on. One other big thing I noticed when I went back to riding my 82 is that I missed the way the Saddle man hugs your lower back.

The one advantage I like with the nylon seat is it is always comfy, hot or cold. When I was down seeing AZ this summer in the land of the devil, you could fry an egg on a leather seat.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I remember when I was 225#'s

Yes there is a caution issued fro leather and gel, both get hot and the gel retains the heat. Not sure how that will affect me, I guess I'll see.

The seat does cradle your lower back nicely, that's what I've found I like the best so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.