Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This morning went to the dealer to get the recall checked and put new Dunlop E3s on the bike. Total cost 655.84 including:

169.99 front tire
229.99 rear tire
2.60 tire fee
23.90 two metal 90 degree valves
32.99 new summer gloves (What? Oh never mind).
148.50 labor
33.02 tax

Felt good on the 20 mile ride home. Now got to get ready for the trip. BTW the brakes checked out fine.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

It is amazing how we get used to worn tires, and when good ones are put on - Viola!!! it's really nice.

It's because of this that I've become less tolerant of worn tires. I change them earlier than I used to.

I learned long ago that a majority of tire problems seem to happen to people in the last 10% of their tire's life. Trying to eek out that last few hundred miles, with the tire feeling like crap, just isn't worth it to me.

Enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

cymru wrote:
This morning went to the dealer to get the recall checked and put new Dunlop E3s on the bike. Total cost 655.84 including:

169.99 front tire
229.99 rear tire
2.60 tire fee
23.90 two metal 90 degree valves
32.99 new summer gloves (What? Oh never mind).
148.50 labor
33.02 tax

Felt good on the 20 mile ride home. Now got to get ready for the trip. BTW the brakes checked out fine.
I LOVE new tires!

But I need to put this in perspective.

I have 3 questions:

1. Is the currency in Euros?
2. Gloves? Was that included with the tires?
3. Trip? (What trip? You didn't tell me about a "trip.")

You are planning a trip?

I am expecting a full write up and pictures upon your return.

(Oh please, allow me live vicariously, Please... post some pictures of Spain!!! Anything!)

T

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

No that was in US dollars.

I slipped the gloves in with the service cost in case my wife checks the bill:)

I plan to ride up from Miami to North Carolina or even New Jersey, time allowing. On the way I want to obtain a (pre-loved) trim-tilt unit for my outboard. It's a Honda naturally.

I plan on visiting a few people on the way also and it's going to be a bit meandering.

One small crimp in my plans is that my daughter wants me to help her assemble a bunch of Ikea wall units this coming weekend. This is a serious problem as I have seen families torn apart trying to follow the pictograms supplied by Ikea.

Plan to take plenty of pics and will post.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

cymru wrote:
No that was in US dollars.

I slipped the gloves in with the service cost in case my wife checks the bill:)

I plan to ride up from Miami to North Carolina or even New Jersey, time allowing. On the way I want to obtain a (pre-loved) trim-tilt unit for my outboard. It's a Honda naturally.

I plan on visiting a few people on the way also and it's going to be a bit meandering.

One small crimp in my plans is that my daughter wants me to help her assemble a bunch of Ikea wall units this coming weekend. This is a serious problem as I have seen families torn apart trying to follow the pictograms supplied by Ikea.

Plan to take plenty of pics and will post.
Of the Ikea build???????:? That'd be TMI!

oh....pics of the trip!

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Just came back from another little ride. What a difference.

.:claps:

The wobble that I lived with since I bought the bike has gone and the new gloves are great. They have gelpad palms and make for a really comfy grip

·
Village Whack Job...
7,902 Posts
imported post

No way in hell I'd pay that much for 2 tires. $148.50 in labor? Not even at gun point.

I spent just under $500 this winter on tires...for TWO bikes. Tires for my Wing and for the old lady's Yamaha. And they weren't cheap tires either all four were Continentals.

Of course I put them on myself...but still.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
No way in hell I'd pay that much for 2 tires. $148.50 in labor? Not even at gun point.

I spent just under $500 this winter on tires...for TWO bikes. Tires for my Wing and for the old lady's Yamaha. And they weren't cheap tires either all four were Continentals.

I hear you Broke, but beggars can't be choosers. No facilities no equipment and too short a time. Gotta ride.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Some don't have the place or means to change their own tires and some want the professionalism for safety.

Cost of bike tires these days, I wonder......
Will Bandag retread my tires?
KIDDING!

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:

5 months ago I would have agreed with you, I even purchased 2 sets of tires, one set for my wing and another for my sons Shadow.

I have spent $150 in tubes and mounting fees for my sons tires and thats with me taking them off the bike and re installing. Then I did the back tire on my bike. The shop I go to was closed so I went to the dealer....... HUGE MISTAKE! I had them mount and balance the new rear, they did but did not put in the new valve stem, cost = $57. My wife said she would take the wheel back and have them redo the stem, she did..... Cost $57... again, Accept after I got the tire back on, I noticed the old weights from last year was still on the rim so they didn't balance the tire either time and the dots on the tire didn't line up with the valve stem. Tire rode like crap! I called them to complain and was told that the dot on the tire is a Myth....... Nobody does that and no they wouldn't fix it for free. So $114 later, I still have to take the tire and get it lined up and rebalanced.

It would have been well worth the $148 labor to have someone else do both tires for me.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
....so I went to the dealer....... I had them mount and balance the new rear, they did but did not put in the new valve stem, cost = $57. My wife said she would take the wheel back and have them redo the stem, she did..... Cost $57... again, Accept after I got the tire back on, I noticed the old weights from last year was still on the rim so they didn't balance the tire either time and the dots on the tire didn't line up with the valve stem. Tire rode like crap! I called them to complain and was told that the dot on the tire is a Myth.......
Out right lying like that, that dealer should lose their business license. :whip:

Pray tell which dealer it was so others don't get screwed, or possibly maimed / killed through their ignorance to safety. :cussing:

·
Village Whack Job...
7,902 Posts
imported post

I don't bother with wheel weights either. I use Dynadeads. Been using them for about four years now and they work, in my opinion even better than conventional wheel weights.

Instead of going back and giving those crooks even more of your money, order some Dynabeads, and put them in yourself.

They can be re-used forever so you just collect them when you remove the worn out tire and put them in the new one.

As for the dot thing. While stating that it's a myth is an outright lie...meh the dot itself isn't a big deal. Now I've heard that you line it up with the valve stem and I've heard that you put it across from the valve stem. But the truth is, with proper balancing it doesn't really matter where the dot is. Lining the dot up simply makes it a little easier to balance the tire. With Dynabeads...no worries put the tire on, put the beads in and go down the road.

One thing I would do is call the local news channel and tell them about your dealing with the jackasses.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Sometimes we just have to find and post the answer from a manufacture of "X".

From Yokohama website:

__ Weight method (yellow mark) __
When performing weight match-mounting, the yellow mark on the tire, indicating the point of lightest weight, should be aligned with the valve stem on the wheel assembly, which represents the heaviest weight point of the wheel assembly. After match-mounting by either of the above methods, the tire/wheel assembly can be balanced.

__ Uniformity method (red mark) __
When performing uniformity match-mounting, the red mark on the tire, indicating the point of maximum radial force variation, should be aligned with the wheel assembly's point of minimum radial run-out, which is generally indicated by a colored dot or a notch somewhere on the wheel assembly (consult manufacturer for details).
( "wheel assembly's point" - where the steel rim is weld together )

(YEEEEAWN - it's midnight)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.