Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. First, I never owned a Gold Wing or even a touring bike. I have been riding for over 40 years, had 30+ motorcycles but have not been riding much lately. Ok, I hope this is not a bad word, I have had an old Kawasaki ZX-11 for 3.5 years and in that time I put a grand total of 1000 miles on it. Well I put an ad on Craigs List to sell the ZX or trade it for a tourer. I thought maybe I would try a touring bike to see if I would ride more but I did not want to get a lot of money into something that may be just going to set around. Anyway, I get an offer to trade for a 82 or 83 Interstate (Guy was not sure of the year..:?). So without even seeing it, I said okay! :praying: We are supposed to meet in 2 days to close the deal. The fellow sounds pretty honest and says it is in good shape with 40K on it.

I have worked on enough bikes in the past to listen to what owners say. The two things I heard about Gold Wings of this era were some electrical issues with the charging system and make sure the timing belts are serviced regularly. That is how I found this site. I did a search for timing belt servicing. Although I never did a belt change on a Gold Wing, I have done cars including VW TDI belts. Thanks for listening and I am sure I will be asking a ton of questions. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,063 Posts
Welcome to the forums Saleen332. Belts and Stator would be
the first things I'd check

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forum neighbor! :waving:

Working on an 1100 is just about as fun as riding one. Takes more time to remove the Tupperware than it does to change the belts. Charging system is no problem on an 1100 as long as you make sure the 3 yellow wires from the stator are soldered together rather than reply on the plug.

A lot of info and help can be found here so look around!

·
Premium Member
12,063 Posts
SWEEEEEEEEEEEET! Got to love anything
with a BLUE OVAL on it! How many ponies under
the hood?

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma :waving: Enjoy the wing :cheesygrin:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SWEEEEEEEEEEEET! Got to love anything
with a BLUE OVAL on it! How many ponies under
the hood?
God luv ya, you and I are going to get along! :bow: Actually, it only has about 320 HP. It does have all the Steve Saleen Racecrafters suspension stuff so it is does handle well for an old convertible. I really don't run it much and when I do, I don't go very fast. I scare easier now in my advanced years. However, if you find something laying around from your neck of the woods with Holman-Moody on it, I will pick it up just because of my concern for the public at large. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Howdy and welcome to the forum neighbor! :waving:

Working on an 1100 is just about as fun as riding one. Takes more time to remove the Tupperware than it does to change the belts. Charging system is no problem on an 1100 as long as you make sure the 3 yellow wires from the stator are soldered together rather than reply on the plug.

A lot of info and help can be found here so look around!
Thanks Brian, I appreciate it. I will be asking your folks a lot of questions and I appreciate the tip about the plug connector.

·
Premium Member
12,063 Posts
God luv ya, you and I are going to get along! :bow: Actually, it only has about 320 HP. It does have all the Steve Saleen Racecrafters suspension stuff so it is does handle well for an old convertible. I really don't run it much and when I do, I don't go very fast. I scare easier now in my advanced years. However, if you find something laying around from your neck of the woods with Holman-Moody on it, I will pick it up just because of my concern for the public at large. :)
What kind of anything with Holman Moody on it would
you be looking for. Got a friend that runs short tracks with Fords
so he might have something never know

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What kind of anything with Holman Moody on it would
you be looking for. Got a friend that runs short tracks with Fords
so he might have something never know
I was semi-kidding because when I was growing up, there was this black, 64 Galaxie that had crossed gold flags with the number "427" on it for the engine badging. Anyway, this big old car would beat pretty much everything around as it had a Holman Moody prepped side oiler with some NASCAR tricks done to the engine. When he would open the hood, you saw the "CP-Competition Proven" labels and I never forgot it. I hope your friend doesn't know where anything like that is or I may be taking out a second mortgage. :shock:

·
Premium Member
73,587 Posts
Hallo Saleen322

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with the Wing.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

Welcome:waving:saleen322

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Welcome from WV!!!! I was born and raised up there brother. My mom & dad are still kicking it up there on the Clearfield mountain. They live between Elliot State Park and Parker dam coming down the mountain. I am up there all the time on my Wing. Safe Travels!

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.