Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'll be installing the much touted Polk Audio DB401 4" in the stock Clarion enclosures this winter and want to include the baffles on the install. Crutchfield has two depths available, 2-5/8" and 3-7/8". I measured the stock enclosures and they're only about 2" deep so either baffle would need to extend through the hole and into the fairing. I assume this would not be a problem, as I don't remember reading about any problem with the fit of the baffles. I'd like to use the deeper of the baffles for better sound, but not sure if it would cause an issue with fit.

Also, will the steel stamped mounting frame be in the way of either the new speakers or the baffles?

I hope this makes sense, and thanks for your help,

Steve

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_237XT42/XTC-4-Speaker-Baffles-Slim-line-2-5-8-depth.html?tp=2809

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_237XT40/XTC-4-Speaker-Baffles-3-7-8-depth.html?tp=2809

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-4-Inch-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B000P0R6GQ

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

The stamped mounting frame goes right across the back center of the speaker, and it's a tight fit. Any deeper and you'll be cutting and modifying.

You could probably put the baffles in first before inserting the mounting frame (?) :?

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

MSGT-R wrote:
The stamped mounting frame goes right across the back center of the speaker, and it's a tight fit. Any deeper and you'll be cutting and modifying.

You could probably put the baffles in first before inserting the mounting frame (?) :?
That's what I'm thinking but I couldn't remember exactly what things look like in there. I was hoping someone who's tone this route would be able to provide some direction but not yet. If time allows I'll take it apart tonight after work to get a better look at it.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

Here's a pic when I replaced the OEM with the 4" J&M GL1200 (rear) replacements.

A direct fit. The bottom screws attach both the speaker and the mounting bracket to the plastic bosses in the speaker enclosure.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I do believe those are identical (or very similar) to the front ones on my 1100. Looking at that, I think I better order the "Slim-Line" 2-5/8" depth baffles. I'll double check it tonight.

Thanks for your input,
Steve

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

J&M's listing for the rear speaker replacements on the GL1200 are an almost identical fit. I had to "slot" the holes slightly with a dremel to get the mounting holes to line up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I removed them and took some measurements, found the max depth is actually just over 2" deep. Fortunately, Crutchfield has a 2 1/4" deep model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.