Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a lot of trouble wearing my hearing aideswith the helmet. If I don't wear them, no one can talk to me ... well they can talk I just can't hear anything.:cheeky1:

But when I wear them with the helmet the fit is sooo tight that it is very uncomfortable and begins to hurt after a short time. And if that is not enough, when I turn my head the pressure increases and causes the hearing aides to change programs which can be very painful ... and VERY distracting.

I believe this is because the speakers fit very close to my ear and don't leave enough room for anything else.

So I did a search on this forum and found something that I think well help. I did not know that J&M made a thinner speaker. :baffled: While I know it will not have the quality of what I have ... I don't think my ears will really know the difference. Here is what I found.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM%2DHSCP%2DUTS1

What a great resource ... and thanks for the help.

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

A company called (Edsets) has some good options with thinner speakers too and they exceed the quality of any thing J and M has.

Kit

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Monk, whatever you decide to do please come back and post the results, I am very interested.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
A company called (Edsets) has some good options with thinner speakers too and they exceed the quality of any thing J and M has.

Kit
Yes, I looked at that option...but with this I don't have to replace the entire headset. Just the speakers. At first I was looking at a new headset with a speaker that is thinner than this one. But I discovered these and thought for the money I would give it a try.

SpiderBob ... I will let you know what happens ... If this works out, the biggest help will be the ability to hear a little of what someone is saying at a stop withouthaving to take off the helmet andget the hearing aides out. :p

Bob

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

How much of the Styrofoam do you have cut out for the speaker holes. Is it all the way to the helmet shell? Mine are set in deep enough I don't think they would bother me if I was wearing hearing aids.

John

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
How much of the Styrofoam do you have cut out for the speaker holes. Is it all the way to the helmet shell? Mine are set in deep enough I don't think they would bother me if I was wearing hearing aids.

John
My helmet is a Nolan .... it has holes built in for the helmet speakers. And the hole goes all the way to the shell. The speakers come out almost even with the material that covers the Styrofoam.

A big part of my problem is the program button on the hearing aides. That button makes too much contact with the speaker ... so the least little change in pressure from the side depresses the button and switches the program.

If I could get by without wearing them I would. But it is all I can do to understand what someone is saying when I have them own. Without them, it is impossible. :baffled:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I bought a couple of really thin ones from Heathers Wheels, a member here who sells them on eBay and a rider.

I have not yet tried them but if you have to splice anyway, I'd give them a shot at around $20/pr as I recall.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Rudy wrote:
I have not yet tried them but if you have to splice anyway,
That sounds good ... but I hope a splice will not be necessary.

The set I have unplug from the wire in the helmet about two inches from the speaker .. it looks like the replacement does the same.

So I'm hoping for a real simple unplug the old and plug in the new... even I should be able to do it... :shock:

Bob

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Monk, whatever you decide to do please come back and post the results, I am very interested.

The new speakers from J & M are called "Ulta Slim" ... they are not as thick as the others but they are a littlewider ... the circumference is larger.

They worked great! I did not realize how much the others were pressing against my ear and cheek. The new ones gave me more room and do not touch my hearing aides.

And the price was right! Iexplained my problem to someone at my Honda Dealer ... so they got these for me to try ...they traded out with me at no charge ...
So now the IPOD will be going along on my rides. :cooldj:

Bob

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Feel free to give J&M a call. They are great at answering questions and resolving problems. I have delt with them for years and was going to recommend the Ultra Slim. Just installed a set and they work great for my needs.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Monk wrote:
The new speakers from J & M are called "Ulta Slim" ... they are not as thick as the others but they are a littlewider ... the circumference is larger.

They worked great! I did not realize how much the others were pressing against my ear and cheek. The new ones gave me more room and do not touch my hearing aides.

And the price was right! Iexplained my problem to someone at my Honda Dealer ... so they got these for me to try ...they traded out with me at no charge ...
So now the IPOD will be going along on my rides. :cooldj:

I will definitely check them out, thanks for the return, I've been waiting.:action:

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

Although I don't wear a hearing aid,I once replaced the worn out speakers in an old set of Realistic headphones with some I found at an electronics supply house.They had quite a selection of small speakers.If you have some electronics aptitude you could fabricate a pretty sweet setup...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.