Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a couple of front speakers on order for my 1500. I found a 4-chan 240w amp pretty cheap on eBay so now I'm thinking about also replacing my rear speakers and adding an amp.

For those out there already rocking to some amped-up tunes, where did you put your amp? How did you mount it? The amp I'm looking at is approximately 9"x7"x2".

I haven't pulled the seat yet, is there any room under there? I'm trying to avoid mounting it in one of the bags if possible. Any location, mounting and wiring tips would be great.

:cooldj:

Thanks,
JB

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

. :baffled:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I told ya to come and see me... :cooldevil:

Attachments

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
imported post

I wish I hadn't seen that.........now I'm going to be reverting back my car stereo days and try to figure out how to replace the Panasonic deck and add an amp. Thanks Rudy, my wife will have one more reason to kill me now!

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

RobTheHillbilly wrote:
I wish I hadn't seen that.........now I'm going to be reverting back my car stereo days and try to figure out how to replace the Panasonic deck and add an amp. Thanks Rudy, my wife will have one more reason to kill me now!
if she does can i have your nice new stereo....:D

Daz

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
imported post

daz800 wrote:
RobTheHillbilly wrote:

Daz
Oh that is wrong....................so very wrong!!:shock::shock:

Time to figure out what kind of radio and amp to get now. Any ideas as to the Panasonic mounting setup??

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

RobTheHillbilly wrote:
daz800 wrote:
RobTheHillbilly wrote:

Daz
Oh that is wrong....................so very wrong!!:shock::shock:

Time to figure out what kind of radio and amp to get now. Any ideas as to the Panasonic mounting setup??
I'm closer, I can just pick it up after the funeral!:cooldevil:

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
Rudy, just wondering if that amp is just for the rear speakers? or it feeds all 4 on the bike?
All 4. All have been rewired with heavy wire front and back.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

RobTheHillbilly wrote:
No reason to change out the stock system. If you leave it but enhance it, you will have all the features of the original with better output.

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
imported post

Is this the correct wiring diagram for this radio? If so could I get a DIN to RCA connector and take loose the power amp and go from there to a new amp?

Attachments

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

According to that diagram, yes you could.
Are you not going to have rear speakers?

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
imported post

It already has rear speakers and I'll run new wire to them once I replace them and the front ones as well. Thanks for the help. I thinkthis'll have to be a spring project.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
DANG RUDY !!!....That would power the speakers on 3 - 4 bikes around you....WITHOUT wires connected. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Hey Rudy, I was trying to avoid taking up storage space but that's a cool looking set up you have there. I like it.

Rudy wrote:
I still plan to come by (if the offer is still open) but remember the emblem I ordered for the front fender? They sent me the wrong one (A not the SE) so I have to return it and get the right emblem (another story).

Rudy wrote:
No reason to change out the stock system. If you leave it but enhance it, you will have all the features of the original with better output.
That's what I was looking to do. Although I would like to replace all the buttons on the radio unit (worn & faded).

Anyway, I got the new speakers mounted last night. I haven't put everything back together yet because I'm not sure I like the sound of the new speakers (Polk DB501). They are very bright, almost tinny.

I'm thinking of my options:
1 - Add an amp/equalizer like Rudy.
2 - Move the DB501s to the rear (with a little mod) and find a different speaker for the front.

What kind of speakers are you using in front? Do you think the amp (and maybe equalizer) will help with a fuller sound? Opinions??

Rudy, When I get this thing put back together, I'll PM you.

Thanks,
JB

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

jbb303 wrote:
Hey Rudy, I was trying to avoid taking up storage space but that's a cool looking set up you have there. I like it.

Rudy wrote:
I still plan to come by (if the offer is still open) but remember the emblem I ordered for the front fender? They sent me the wrong one (A not the SE) so I have to return it and get the right emblem (another story).

Rudy wrote:
That's what I was looking to do. Although I would like to replace all the buttons on the radio unit (worn & faded).

Anyway, I got the new speakers mounted last night. I haven't put everything back together yet because I'm not sure I like the sound of the new speakers (Polk DB501). They are very bright, almost tinny.

I'm thinking of my options:
1 - Add an amp/equalizer like Rudy.
2 - Move the DB501s to the rear (with a little mod) and find a different speaker for the front.

What kind of speakers are you using in front? Do you think the amp (and maybe equalizer) will help with a fuller sound? Opinions??

Rudy, When I get this thing put back together, I'll PM you.

Thanks,
JB
Sure offer is good anytime we can both work it.
Remember if you add an amp, you must add speakers of the same RMS wattage or better than the RMS rating of the amp output per channel.
If you don't you will just toast good speakers.
I found the Polks to be good speakers before I blew them up with the amp.

Remember, you aren't going to get warm and fuzzy hi-fi out of 4 inch speakers with no sealed housing in open air. Especially at 60 MPH.

You should be working toward better output in the mid-range to high end. Reason is that is what you can hear when running and low end is just a waste of energy and lost when running above 50 MPH. At that speed it just feels like something is wrong with the bike.

This isn't a car stereo and it doesn't have the acoustics to make it one.

I'm running 100w RMS/Channel x 4 and four 90W RMS speakers. And yes they are bright.
But I can hear my music at most any speed I travel. I use an active equalizer to optimize the energy being expended in the most audible range.

Obviously I don't use helmet speakers for anything but CB and Intercom.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Remember, you aren't going to get warm and fuzzy hi-fi out of 4 inch speakers with no sealed housing in open air. Especially at 60 MPH.
Ok, speakers installed and I finally got everything put back together and Rudy is right. After scaling back my expectations, the new speakers sound pretty good. The mid and high frequencies are crisp and clear. No rattling and buzzing. :cooler:

The one thing I did that might be a little different, the original speakers have fine mesh fabric over them to keep out some of the dust and dirt. Of course the new speakers don't have that. So I used a knife to remove the mesh fabric from the speakers and glued it to the back side of the instrument panel. Hopefully it will accomplish the same thing and prevent most of the dust and from getting to the speakers.

The problem now, the old rear speakers are out driving the new front speakers. I have to use the fade control to distribute more power to the front speakers in order to balance the sound. Of course that's because I still have the original 3 ohm speakers in the rear with new 4 ohms up front. 3 ohm speakers are more efficient and thus louder with the same amount of power then 4 ohm (generally).

But once I replace the rear speakers with another set of Polks to match the front and add an amp, I should be good to go!:cooldj:

Got to rest the wallet for a while though....

JB

Attachments

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

jbb303 wrote:
But once I replace the rear speakers with another set of Polks to match the front and add an amp, I should be good to go!:cooldj:
Until it rains.

The fronts don't get wet but the rears will. Then it's game over for the rears.

And the Polks will go T U if driven over 40 watts RMS.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

JUST MY THOUGHTS, I HAVE A 86 I ONLY HAVE STOCK FAIRING HOLES FOR SPEAKERS,ALWAYS LIKED GOOD CLEAN SOUND (MY X WIFE COULD OF CARED LESS, ITS A MAN THING)I BOUGHT A CLARION MARINE DECK FROM EBAY AND ALPINE 4" SPEAKERS REASONABLE PRICE. KEEP IN MIND THAT THERE IS VERY LITTLE GOOD MOUNTING FOR YOUR LOW END ON BIKES AND LOW END TAKES UP THE MAJORITY OF POWER SO WITH THAT SAID I WOULD THROW MY $ AT A QUALITY DECK AND SPEAKERS INSTEAD OF A LOT OF WATTS BUT A AMP IS A GOOD THING .ONE MORE OPINON CRUSING AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS WITH HELMET AND SHEILD YOU LOOSE A LOT HEARING THE SOUND.GOOD LUCK!

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hey Rudy whats with the hair brush in the trunk i would have taken you for a chomb with the split in the middle

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.