Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, my new starter came in today, I installed and the bike started fine. Took it for a quick 5 mile jaunt to feel good and came home. A little later I went for a ride to meet for dinner, about fifteen miles away. came out, hit the key, and all the started did was spin inside. It didn't even try to start the engine. We did a quick push start and I brought it home.

Now, it seems strange that two starters would have the exact same short life, almost identical. Now I did notice that when I got home the starter casing was every bit as hot as the engine, is this normal?

Any ideas what is going on here?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

It could be in your start/Kill switch. It could also be caused by a bad battery or a loose cable. I got to clean both of mine, and sand em down again, but I keep forgetting.
Thanks,
Hope this helps,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Mine done this a couple of times, and I recharged and filled the battery, and it hasnt happened again, but Now, my Netural light comes on. I got another I can pull off of my parts bike, cleanit, and have a spare. I believe that could also cause the problem.It could be in your start/Kill switch. It could also be caused by a bad battery or a loose cable. I got to clean both of mine, and sand em down again, but I keep forgetting.
Thanks,
Hope this helps,
Nightrider1

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Richardrwg wrote:
... and all the started did was spin inside.
It doesn't sound like you have a starter problem at all.. sounds to me like the friction clutch in the engine is not catching and allowing the starter to spin without turning the engine..

This is typically caused by oil that is too thick/heavy for you conditions or sludge that prevents the clutch from self activating.. for the first, use lighter oil, for the second, flush you engine or use engine treatments like MMO, seafoam, etc. to clean the clutch..

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

What Sandiegobrass sais makes sense. When your starter is installed & bolted in, It is connected to the chain & gear all the time. Unlike a car where it thrusts out to meet & mesh with the flywheel. So, when it spins, It must spin the chain because it is connected all the time. That means your chain is rolling but your starter clutch is not engageing.
Thats where sludge or oil that is too heavy makes perfect sense. I would douce your oil with 6 or 8 ounces of sea foam & change your oil within 100 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

OK, you've all seen the problems I've been having, a bad starter followed by two new, rebuilt starters, both of which died in two days. Here's what I found and how.

My father (who at 72 still rides his '76 wing), came over as he does for coffee every saturday am for coffee. First we tore apart the original starter and then the new one. As we looked everything over he made the discovery. In the head of the starter there are the 3 gears. Two that drive the starter spline and a large ring gear around them. The ring gear is held in place by a key that is part of the metal casing. Many rebuilders in order to save money are now using a nylon ring gear. What was happening is the ring gear was jumping off the key, as a result the key pressed against the outside of the ring gear causing a tightness against the internal gears and jamming them. Hence the sound of a starter that was straining to move but couldn't.

I resolved the problem by cleaning the head of the original starter which had a metal ring gear, applieda little grease and wonders never cease, it starts fine everytime, even after a long ride.:cool:

Anyone who had a problem with a starter making noise like it's jammed, check the ring gear, it probably is.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

by chance---would the replacement starter be a Chinese one? or made in china ?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

bump.....

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Richardrwg wrote:
OK, you've all seen the problems I've been having, a bad starter followed by two new, rebuilt starters, both of which died in two days. Here's what I found and how.

My father (who at 72 still rides his '76 wing), came over as he does for coffee every saturday am for coffee. First we tore apart the original starter and then the new one. As we looked everything over he made the discovery. In the head of the starter there are the 3 gears. Two that drive the starter spline and a large ring gear around them. The ring gear is held in place by a key that is part of the metal casing. Many rebuilders in order to save money are now using a nylon ring gear. What was happening is the ring gear was jumping off the key, as a result the key pressed against the outside of the ring gear causing a tightness against the internal gears and jamming them. Hence the sound of a starter that was straining to move but couldn't.

I resolved the problem by cleaning the head of the original starter which had a metal ring gear, applieda little grease and wonders never cease, it starts fine everytime, even after a long ride.:cool:

Anyone who had a problem with a starter making noise like it's jammed, check the ring gear, it probably is.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=57008&forum_id=1&jump_to=574122#p574122

10th post down.....

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Retiredintime,

I did check the nose earlier, but nothing was technically broken, so I missed the problem. With the key being as small as it was and the little bit of grease it was easy to miss the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

as s/brass has said its more likely to be the oil, i had the same problem, as soon as i changed the oil it stopped spinning, and have'nt had a problem since

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.