Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New starter to buy

750 views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  clouddragon9 
#1 ·
imported post

Hi folks,

Has anybody ever ordered a new or rebuilt starter from DB Electric? They have a very good price on a new starter for my 82 aspy, $100.00. I've seen Stockers as well, and they seem competitive, but just a bit more expensive.

What do you think?

Thanks!

#2 ·
imported post

As is with most things, you get what you pay for. But it could be from the same source.

I've always just rebuilt my old one, and have had great luck. Or even rebuilt one from a parts bike. Either way you're getting good Japanese technology starter, rather than an Chinese look alike.

#3 ·
imported post

Stocker has both, i bought a chinese copy for my gl1000 been ok for last 4 monthsride it almost every day.

#4 ·
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
I've always just rebuilt my old one, and have had great luck. .
What did you do? Did you replace brushes? I tried to rebuild starter and it didn't work. Well, it was fine untill I installed it. Even starter shop couln't do it.

#5 ·
imported post

I just stuck brushes in mine. It was turning over slow before I put brushes in it. Cleaned it up while I had it apart. Did all the test recommended in the book when I had it apart. Now all is well, put brushes in it last fall. Spins over nice and quick, bike starts up nice.

#6 ·
imported post

I recently had the starter for my 93 rebuilt at a local motor shop. He had bearings to fit but no brushes, so I got him brushes thru the Honda dealer. Worked out just fine.

As I was trouble shooting the failed starterand looking around for new or used it seemed that there are 1500 starters with a single post and others with two posts? (mine has a single post) anyone know the difference?

#7 ·
#9 ·
imported post

I went through 2 of the cheap Chinese starters in 1 1/2 years, then bought a rebuilt Japanese from stocker, about the same price as the new Chinese. Works perfect yet after 8 months. Doug

#10 ·
imported post

Hey madmonkey, I have a starter from DB Electric on my bike right now. It has been on there for over 3 years and I have had no problems with it. I bought one from the dealership for $249.00 and it lasted about a year. It was a Ricks Motorsports I think. The windings in it fried just from normal use. I will buy again from DB when this one goes out. Just my 2 cents. Dwight

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.