Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgrading the Stereo on the GL1500SE
No matter what we do with the original Stereo in the 1500, it’s still 90’s tech. I chose to remove it, and get something a little more up to date. I chose to go with the Milennia PRV525 AM/FM/USB Stereo MIL-PRV525, I got it on eBay for $112. It has a wired remote, so you have room to be creative if you want to. I also added a powered hidden antenna(Off eBay) so that I could get rid of the fishing poles off the bike. (BTW Sorry about the fuzzy pics. That's what everything looks like when I don't have my glasses on.)

Here are the components of the system.

Removing the old radio was easy, but then what do you do with the hole? I created a blank from an 1/8” ABS sheet I got off eBay. (Notice a trend?)

I added some relief cuts to the bottom side so I could bend it to shape. I made several cuts where the cassette door would go because of the extreme bend.

One thing I learned from doing this is to cut slowly. When you cut to fast, the ABS melts itself back together. I would suggest researching more tips in working with ABS. I made a few mistakes that caused more work for myself.
I used duct tape to hold it in place while I applied ABS Sewer pipe adhesive to the bottom side.

I used scrap material to add extra support to possible stress areas. I would suggest to add extra material to all the joints, also add your ABS shavings. It will work like fibers in the glue giving you more strength.

The adhesive will seep out, and eat any ABS it comes in contact with. The only part left is the cassette cover.

I used clamps, duct tape, scrap ABS, and even an old file to try and keep the flap from going in to far. Make sure to allow ample time for the adhesive to cure. Even overnight is you need to.

After it has had time to cure, you can step back and admire your handy work, and try to figure out what to do now because it looks nasty.

I taped off the top side to hopefully fill any gaps I had.

Finally you have the old Stereo hole filled. At this point, I had to put the bike together because it’s my only way to work. I sprayed it with a couple coats of SEM satin black after I sanded and cleaned up the surface.

The next opportunity I had, I started the install of the new Stereo. I mocked it up to see how it fit.

I mounted the stereo using the stock holes to hold some ABS strip, and screwed the stereo to them. I may revisit this part in the future, I think it may be a little low. Changes won’t be too difficult.

I found a stereo wiring diagram on Goldwingdocs.com, and wired the stereo to the matching wire in the harness. For the speakers, I went ahead and ran new heavier wires.

I bundles the wires and ran them around the left side of the stereo. The Hidden antenna is mounted in the trunk lid, and is powered through the bike harness. The bundle of assorted connectors lay in front of the stereo, and are accessible by lifting the left tunnel cover. I plan to route the USB, Ipod, and RCA inputs into the left pocket.
Now for the speakers. I had found a thread by Tim aka Mr Magic Fingers on improving the speaker sound. I sealed up the speaker holes with expanding foam, and used some fiberglass insulation to help give the speakers some base. Make sure you cover anything that must be able to move or be removed before using the foam.

I ran the speaker wire before I sealed up the holes.
This is the point I stopped on the project. I have much better sound that before, and I found that I can work in the garage most of the day with the stereo on, and still be able to start the bike. My plans for finishing the surfaces are on hold. I will use some type of putty/bondo to smooth things out for paint, and add the Polk 501’s. The hidden antenna performs Ok, not as much range as the fishing poles. That doesn’t bother me, because I plug a thumbdrive into the port and rarely listen to the radio.

Ride safe,
Rich

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan. The remote is waterproof. To mount the remote, I drilled a hole and put the bracket over it. The amount of water that may get through there is minimal. The head unit is also designed to limit the chance of water getting into it.

Ride safe
Rich

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Great commentary. This is a project I've had in mind for a while. I've just been waiting for a solution that could use the handlebar controls, or neatly replace same

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
:claps::claps::claps: Well done :waving: sounds like a winter project.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
Just some thoughts this removes your Intercom, and CB radio, doesn't it. Me and My Girlfriend use the Intercom more than anything else on the bike. When we ride with groups I tend to ride Graveyard and use the CB to advise if anyone has any problems. I just added a remote plug and a Satallite radio that way I keep the Intercom...

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the good words. My wife and I use the Scala G4 intercom. We have more features than we did when wired. I removed the CB since the people I ride with mostly use the G4 also. I have also removed the Stereo/CB controls off the left bar. I've adjusted quickly to using the remote while riding.

Ride Safe,
Rich

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Hi. Have a friend who is having a lot of trouble with his 93 radio. Was yours working ok? , and is it for sale? if so, how much? We have considered sending his to Sierra. Thanks, Bob (I sent you pm, but it wouldn't show up in the sent folder, so hence, I posted here.)

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
"No matter what we do with the original Stereo in the 1500, it’s still 90’s tech."

No matter what we do with the original engine in the 1500, it’s still 90’s tech.
No matter what we do with the original forks in the 1500, it’s still 90’s tech.
No matter what we do with the original frame in the 1500, it’s still 90’s tech.
No matter what we do with the original wheels on the 1500, it’s still 90’s tech.

So buy a 2014 1800 to get modern tech LOL
Just joking of course!!! Cool to install what you want, when the pictures get loaded I'll read through and see what all you done and posted.

Personally I find the 90's radio to be near perfect myself in my 1500's
Heck I listen to mostly 50's 60's and 70's music so the 90's tech is newer than the music I listen too anyway LOL
Yes, I do still have records, they were plastic things that had grooves and round like a CD but much much larger and usually black though there were some fancy colored ones and even some with pictures made into them.
The 78's were much thicker, easy to break, but have a nice relaxing crackle pop snap sound to them. Not to be confused with the cereal!
Not sure why they were called 78, they were not made in 78, they were made about 1920's to late 1950's, I think it had something to do with the speed then turned around and around at, like 78 rpms! Though many sound pretty cool at 45rpms or even 33 1/3 rpm also.
I still have 8 track tapes, which was a kinda stupid really since most are only 2 tracks really (left and right) or 4 at most, so why were they called 8 ??
Cassettes, no comment really other than I still have about 100 and still buy more all the time for about $0.50 each, or $1 if I really really want a certain one.
CD's? Never buy em, Interest is to low today and no money to be made, inflation eats away the dollar faster than a CD can grow interest!
OH, the OTHER KIND!!!
I just make my own from all the records, 8 tracks, and cassettes I already own. LOL

I just added a $10 FM modulator that does everything I could ever want and still have an all original bike with everything working as it should, mute, auto volume, intercom, cb, etc.. !
With the modulator I can use anything with a line out jack, flash cards, flash drives, it plays MP3s, has remote, only needs to be plugged into a 12v power socket and tuned to a dead station and Honda radio to same dead station.

I'll be riding 3 different bikes, car, truck, jeep, and simple as unplug it from bike and plug into any other vehicle 12v socket to take it all with me!

Only down side is it's small and compact easy to move around, I broke one after over a year using it so out $10 now, and I lost my spare one after using it in wife's car on a long trip. I think she hid it to keep for herself. I think I need to look under driver seat and the floor mats etc... and find her hiding spot LOL
Or just go buy a new one for another whole $10 !!

The bad thing though was it had my flash drive with all my music on it plugged in when lost! So I also need a new $8 flash drive and all the time and trouble to copy my music from PC to the Flash Drive again.

BUMMER! LOL

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Neat work there.
My first post of course was only joking around mostly. But I do like the old stuff!

I like what you did and how you did it.
So does the radio itself actually produce any better sound, or is it the speaker mods that make the real difference?
I do like the sound of my 1500 radios just fine, 88 and 95.
The 88 has an external amp that was already installed when I bought it.
I think both 95 and 88 sound just as good to me, but I can blast the speakers louder on 88 with the amp than I can with 95, don't know what speakers are in 88, stock or other. I normally play at the same sound level anyway though and 95 does fine for me as it came from factory.
Nice thing about the 88 with the external amp though is when I get near those annoying stupid THUMPERS you can hear 5 cars back I can crank the 88 radio up and blow them away!
I loved to do that when sitting next to them and they have their window down!
Flip on a Hank SR "Your Cheating Heart" or "Tear in my beer" crank it up and blow away their crappy $1k or $2k thumper system! LOL

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The stock radio is a max 60 watt unit. The one I installed is 180 watts without having to add an amp which is just more stuff on the bike. My current spealers ar Walmart cheapies in the front, and Kenwood cheapies in the rear. There is a big difference in the sound after sealing up the speaker hole.

I enjoy taking my bike out of the box that most GL1500 stay in. If I had a 1994 Mustang, I wouldn't have a 1994 stereo in it, so why should we be stuck with what Honda gave us?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a gl1500I so all it had was a radio. The hole that is left when you take old radio out is just wide enough to put aftermarket. I fiberglased it in and sanded and sanded and sanded. The fiberglass and hardener cam frome Wallymart The kit with all you need $13.00 and i needed to buy extra cloth. It was $6.00 Then primed it and painted it. Worked out really well

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.