Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1980 GL1100 with 17,980 miles that runs excellent but I was wondering if any of you guru's could tell me at what milage I should think about changing my timing belt or how I will know if it needs changing before itjumps timingor breaks. thanks for your help. Ride East Bro's archer

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

It depends on if anyone has changed them already. If you have a 29 year old set of timing belts. I think the answer may be obvious. :)

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Problem is, the way they are constructed it's impossible to see if there is any wear or stretching. So, you don't know when or if they will break, costing you much more than your time and effort to replace them. If you don't know how old they are change them.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I went ahead and changed my 83's at 45k miles, not knowing the previous repair history. The belts I took out were factory Honda and looked in very good shape for their age, but it's good to know the bike has new belts now if I ever plan on doing a road trip.

Change out the radiator hose while you're at it. Doesn't cost much.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

The guys are right. If you don't know when they were changed out last, get them done soon. It would be a real shame to wreck a low miles engine if those old belts snap.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for all the quick answers and I'm not taking any chances.So where do I locate timing belts and does anyone know part numbers.Also radiator hoses.:stumped:Ride Easy archer

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

Napa has your belts in stock, as for the hoses ask for a Napa#7733 and you make upper and lower hose out of it!:action:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.