Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I really hate to open this can of worms, but I need a new back tire on my 1500, I have had E3 before on my old 1200and got around 10K on it. I did note noise when cornering. What is a good high mile tire?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Michilen Pilot GT's if you can find one... otherwise I have had good luck with Metzler 880's

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

The e3's on now I do not care for. They DO ride/handle ok, but they are cupping terrible and howl like a kicked dog. I plan on keeping this bike a while, and anticipate a few tire changes. Gonna get the wheels chromed this winter and try a pair of the Kenda Kruz tires. Have read a lot of good reviews, and the company is owned by Cooper. They make Kenda and Avon I think. For $160 a set. I'm gonna try them. If I don't like them, off they come and a lesson learned.

I would like to add that I got 24,000 miles out of my last Dunlop Elite II. If Kenda is junk, then I may end up with the factory K177's because of their similarity to the E2'S.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,911 Posts
imported post

I have the E3 on my 1500. 10k and almost no noticable wear. Noisy though. Not sure if it's front, rear or both.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
imported post

Ihave run on Dunlops for the last 8 years. The K177s gave me 15,000 on the back and 12,000 on the front. Now we can't get them in theUK any more as they have been replaced byElite 3s.

So I am now running on Metzler ME880s which I findare fantastic on grip handling and quietness. They do run on a higher pressure being 42 back and 40 front but the difference is so noticablybetter.

Just one otherpointI think worth making is when having both wheels off for the tyre change it is a good time to change all the brake pads. I know its a bit more money but you do get a great sense of satisfaction knowing everything down there has been checked and replaced and is in good working order. You almost feel your bike has got a new lease of life.

I fitted Sintered pads all round instead of Hondaand have found them to be far Superior to the Honda ones. NowI feelconfident that I have brakes that will stop me quickly and safely when needed.

Hope this helps with your decision making.

Keith Davidson

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.