Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 84 GL1200I, and will have to replace my tires in the spring, what are some of the better tires that are available for my ride. I don't have any knowledge of tires and this is my first wing. Any help or recommendations are appreciated

Ritchie & Lyn in Portsmouth Va :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I was going to suggest you look for ones with rubber and tread,,,,

but, Dunlop EIII is a great tire

if you are wanting to "pimp" your ride, the dunlop HD tires have a 16" wide white wall, and narrow white wall that will fit the front.... but, alas, nothing for the rear

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
imported post

i have e-3 dunlops on both wings

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

Can't help with the tires, just wanted to say WOW! What a beautiful bike!:cool:

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Thansk Cherkee, that was what it looked like when I picked it up last Aug, have all winter to detail it and get her ready for the next riding season.

Ritchie

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the compliment Chiefcherokee. We enjoy the ride, This pic was last Aug when I got her, need to detail her this winter and get her ready for the next riding season.

Ritchie & Lyn:waving:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

have you changed the timing belts? my 1200 was that wineberry.... one of the few good colours honda has put out

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

papabee49 wrote:
Thanks for the compliment Chiefcherokee. We enjoy the ride, This pic was last Aug when I got her, need to detail her this winter and get her ready for the next riding season.

Ritchie & Lyn:waving:
Wow! I wish mine when detailed looked half as good as yours, enjoy the work and the bike.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
662 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I've had good luck with Bridgestones. I'm about to have replace my second one on the rear and will most likely go the same route again.

I would really like to find a bias tire that would fit from the dark side, but just can't find one close enough to give it a try for the right price. YET.

·
Premium Member
61,458 Posts
imported post

Everyone has their personal favorite..
You have to go with what works for your style of riding and the area you ride in most of the time.. Read the material the manufacturers put out and experiment, it my take a couple sets to find what works best for you..........

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I am on Elite 3s for the first time, and the GL-1200 handles very well with them.

For their inaugural ride, I chased the bike at a spirited pace through over the Ortega Highway. (google that if you're not familiar). They handle very well.

Got mine from www.americanmototire.com

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

For an inexpensive alternative try Cheng Shin Hi Max. Dunlop Elite II used to be my favorite but I've seen the light and now prefer the much cheaper Hi Max.

Q

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

Everyone has an opinion so here's mine even though I never had a 1200. The Dunlop E3s are very good tires, I had them on my 83 1100 and have one on the front of my 1800 , (although it is a radial). I wouldn't put a Bridgestone on my wheelbarrow for fear it wouldn't handle well, would make too much noise and slide out from under it. And I forgot to mention the rough ride.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

So far I'm really liking the Dunlop E-III I put on the rear last month. Still running an E-II that came on it in May when I bought it on the front.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

As you can see papabee49, the consensus on tires is that the best ones are round, mostly black and made of rubber.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Dunlop Elites, Avons, and Michelins are all good choices. Forget about the Brickstones, Metzelers other want-to-bes. After 16 scoots I found 3 things you don't try to get cheap on; drive train, tires and brakes.
My 2c.

·
Premium Member
61,458 Posts
imported post

Oldmtman
Like I mentioned before, area and riding style has all to do with in.. Where you're at is kind of flat,so the Dunlaps may be fine.. I spend most of my time in the Sierras.. With me E3 wear old fast and cup doing it.. I have a Avon in front now and love it.. I stay out of the rain.. So I don't know how this Avon, Stone combination I have works when wet.. Haven't uses a Mich in years but when I did they were fine.. The Stone on the rear is doing great, good holding and wear.. Will change out the front shortly to another Stone just to see how it'll holds up against the Avon..
It's good everyone has their preference, makes the world go round......

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.