Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone. I am new. Recently I purchased a 1985 Aspencade gl1200. I have two issues at hand. One: a side light in the headlight assembly is out.. do i need to take off the fairing to replace it or what... Please help. Also, Two:the other day I rode in a lite to moderate rain.While riding, I noticed that the paint along the edge of the upper fairing began to peal off. The pealing took place along a molding strip of some kind. Is this common, or is this a cover-up job.Any suggestions on what to do about the pealing paint and changing a silly light bulb without removing the fairing would be helpful. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum. :waving:You have joined the best GoldWing fourm on the net. If you have questions, you can find the answers here.

If you are referring to the molding strip that goes along the edges of the fairing, mine is peeling too. I completely stripped mine and re-painted them about 2 months ago and they are peeling again. They are made of some sort of "slick" plastic/rubber and I don't know what to do to get paint to stick, especially something that will match your bike.

As for the lights, I think that you can remove the light assembly by removing the upper and lower shrouds around the light and then remove the light assembly. I am not 100% sure as I have not removed mine. I am sure that if I am wrong, someone will be along shortly to tell you the correct way.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Hey Mr1200, I think you have that website listed wrong. :waving:

It should be: http://www.colorrite.com/

Yes, I believe you are right, Redwing is sleeping it off. After all, he is another year older and when you are that old, you require a few more naps to keep going.

Either that or he is out enjoying a ride on his neighbor's wing. :grinner:

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thank you for the great information. By the way the color is the 1985 Aspencade metalic blue.$30 for paint seems a bit pricey. Also, I'd have never guessed I needed to remove the mirrors to change a light bulb... Kinda like a doctor looking into my ears to check my tonsils. Thanks, again.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Hey Rocky, I have looked at the ColorRite web site before looking for color match paint for my 84 Metallic Beige Aspencade. As I remember, their listing did not go back that far.

Now, I have a question. Does anyone know of any other places to find color match paint for the older wings?

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
Hey Rocky, I have looked at the ColorRite web site before looking for color match paint for my 84 Metallic Beige Aspencade. As I remember, their listing did not go back that far.

Now, I have a question. Does anyone know of any other places to find color match paint for the older wings?
They can still match the colour, just e-mail them with your request. :waving:

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the best board around! I too am new to the world of Wings- seems the first instruction for working on _anything_ on our 1500SE is "Step 1 - Remove Seat."

;)

As for the paint, there is a paint called "Fusion". I think it is made by Krylon. It won't match, but if it is a molding strip a contrasting color may work. The paintdoesn't just cover, it bonds to plastic. I painted a brown radio cover black, and it seems to have dyed the plastic - a scratch on it is still black underneath, not brown.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

aspencade85 wrote:
Hello everyone. I am new.
Hey aspencade85 :waving:Greetings from the Official "Forum Welcomer" to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:Dont be afraid to ask these guys plenty of questions, cause they have all the answers. :weightlifter:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
Hey Mr1200, I think you have that website listed wrong. :waving:

It should be: http://www.colorrite.com/

Yes, I believe you are right, Redwing is sleeping it off. After all, he is another year older and when you are that old, you require a few more naps to keep going.

Either that or he is out enjoying a ride on his neighbor's wing. :grinner:
Ah ha! now we have an "Active Member" correcting the mistake of a "Guru" :stumped:

Hey 1984GL1200A :baffled:How do you know the number of naps i require. :baffled:

I was fast asleep at 05.58hrs when you posted this mesg. :angel:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Simple, I looked at your birthdate on your profile.

Anyone that was around before the invention of dirtsurely requires several naps to keep going.:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome to a Great Forum!! :waving: You have had a sample of the great people and a little of their knowledge which they share with other members. Good to have you aboard:banana: :banana: :banana:

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
imported post

Hey Chris if you give Colorite a phone call and tell them what you are after, they can certainly look it up for you while you wait. I had to do the same thing......sorry I don't have a number for you presently.
Mark

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Well, here is the update. Thank you all so much for the welcome. This evening I removed the remaining paint from the molding around the fairing. The natural gray looks ok with my metalic blue so I might leave it natural unless it changes. Concerning the headlight. Wheeessshhhh!!!! What an ordeal. After removing the mirrors, and about 10 other steps, the lights to the side of the main headlight are replaced and working. Thank you to everyone who helped with this project. Oh.. on another post I saw something about pledge... I got a cheap brand but shined it up nice. Thanks.

Peace

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
imported post

Hello Aspencade85:

I just got back from a fishing trip in Alaska so I hope this info is not to late. In regards to painting your fairing trim, here is what I did on my recent restoring of my 85 Ltd. I went to one of our local paint and autobody shops and purchase a small amount of primer/etcher designed for plastics. They use this primer for plastic bumpers etc. It is also very important to use the proper paint for plastic over the primer. This paint is more flexable than paints designed for metals. You can purchase small amounts of this paint at any Auto paint supplier such as Napa. I hope this info will be of some use. Good luck and safe riding. Brian, Yukon Honda

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

............after watching the  trim peel  twice, I  asked a painter friend... the  SPECIAL primer for plastic is a good fix.. and then buy the closest paint  at your local car accessories shop (in my case , Canadian Tire. has a tremendous range of colours ) .. and on trim pieces  , for $5.. the match is so close that no one notices...    if you want to spend a little more,, (but much less than the $30 )...  a paint shop  is willing to sell me,in a pressurized can ,  a small amount of "one step"  plastic paint... primes itself... and flexes with the trim... next peel, I try this option.. SilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

I agree with the primer issue. You need proper epoxy primer or plastic ahdesion coating for the topcoats to stick. Also, those strips are flexible, so a few drops of plasticiser in the clearcoat will stop it cracking and flaking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.