Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I found the same problem on my 86 1200 with the yellow wires. I cleaned and soldered the three wires up and she ran fine for a day. Now today it started dropping volts after about 15 minutes of riding. I stopped, shut it down and checked the wires. Everything still ok. Wires are not heating up like they were before the repair. Got back on, stated it up and volts were back at 13.9 till just before I got it back home about ten minutes later, and they dropped to 11.2. I shut it down and waited about 3 mins and started back up and volts were back at 14.0, I am so confused!!!! :XCould the stator be going bad too?

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
imported post

Hi, and WELCOME to the forum from north Texas! Being a no count dunder-head when it comes to the bikes mechanics, I can't help you, but rest assured there will be others to follow who can help you! :waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

If you have a dog bone fuse check it. Go to forum search and look up dog bone fuse.

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!:action:

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
imported post

SETHAN12 wrote:
If you have a dog bone fuse check it. Go to forum search and look up dog bone fuse.

Good advice on the fuse, see previous post also... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

check the other lead of the yellow wires at the regulator connector, you will have to remove false tank to see it.

·
Premium Member
1986 Aspencade SEi
362 Posts
imported post

I had the exact same problem last year with my '86 SEi. It turned out to be the molded plug on the regulator/rectifier. The regulator/rectifier is mounted under the false tank on the left side. In my case it was the smaller of the two plugs. I cut it out and soldered the wires and have seen nothing but 14 - 14.5 volts (while turning 2000 rpm's or more) ever since.

You could tell as soon as you saw it that it was seeing some pretty high temperatures.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thanks for the advise and I will try this weekend. Also going to go across the entire electrical system and clean and tighten all connections.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I agree with everything, but would add, make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight. Also, make sure your battery has a full charge, then do some checks.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

UPDATE!!! Thanks for all the info and help. It ended up being the regulator/rectifier. I bought a new one and put it in and replaced the battery while I was at it and she runs goood.14.5 volts going down the highway and 14.0 volts sitting at an idle, drops a little when brakes lights or turn signals are on, but comes right back up when they go off. I am going to go over the wiring system this spring and look for bunt connections or cracked insulation and repair or replaces as needed. It is so nice to be back in the seat cruising down the road again.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
imported post

when you check and replace plugs br sure and replace dielectric grease will help prevent future problems.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

the rectifier connector is the real weak link,when problems start there it shows up first at the stator connector,then the problem takes out the rectifier connector

fix is to hardwire the stator and rectifier connector both
and save all the later grief

buying a new rectifier before doing that ,thinking its the rectifier is bad
just a waste of money,been there done that

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.