Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought a 83 goldwing 1200 off e bay. I was told it ran when parked last year. I replaced battery and had no spark. Took it to get repaired and was told switch was bad and replaced. He got spark and said when he tried starting it the starter would kick out just before engine would fire. I was told starter clutch would need replacing and it takes pulling motor to repair. Is there another alternitive?

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

I have a 83 Goldwing and have been told my starter clutch is bad also and engine will have to be pulled to repair. A friend replaced his starter without pulling the engine but I don't know about starter clutch. I will find out soon for sure. I can push my bike in gear and let out clutch and turn over engine and then starter will usually engage and start but may or may not a minute later. If you bike is an 83, it should be an 1100 not a 1200.:?

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

If the bikes been laid up I would suggest flushing the engine first with engine flush. Push start it and let the flush clear the starter clutch, which may just be gummed up with old oil. This often works and saves pulling the engine.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Flushing would definatly be a good idea. I once had a problem when using synthetic auto oil instead of motorcycle specific oil. The starter clutch on the old kawasaki would catch and then let go. After a change back it worked well.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing Site on the Internet, streetrodnca!:waving::waving:

I'd go with what the guys already said, flush, refill with 10-40 and some good old MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) and run her a bit. You might have to push start, but get her running and warm before you flush or change the oil. Run it around a bit with the new oil and MMO and see what happens. If you still can't get the starter working, you're only out a few bucks and a little time, if it solves the problem you've saved some bucks.

One other thing I'd do just to make sure of things is to jump the starter directly from the battery with a heavy cable or one of a pair of jumper cables. Just in case there's a poor connection or the starting relay isn't quite right.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

You could lean the bike over to the starter side so that the gear inside stays almost inline.I used a block and tackel to tie the bike and gently leaned it over and then slid under to remove the starter

Don

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

hey thanks a whole bunch for the info. I had an idea about push starting and running it for a while but was not sure if that was the way to go. From the sound of it I was thinking in the right direction. Thank you very much and this is a great site for information and hope everyone keeps their bike upright.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey A37streetrodnca :waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing forum on the net. :clapper:

Plenty of experts on this forum, :weightlifter:will answer any questions you wish to ask about Goldwungs. :clapper:

:walker::18red::walker:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.