Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Delvis
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had GL1000, 1100, and two 1200's but just got my first 1500. Previous owner said he bought it then it sat for 4 months in the garage. When I test rode it I notice gas on the ground when it was idling. Looked wet in the gas overflow area.

Had a bit of a lag when you cranked the throttle but then seem to run okay until you slowed to stop. It would almost die.

Bought it anyway due to low price. He delivered it to the house due to recent bad weather.

Started it when I got home today it seemed to run fine then strong fuel smell gas dripping under bike and a cloud of smoke coming off engine like fuel was dripping onto engine.

Shut it off notice fresh fuel under bike. Came in to check forum. Could this be the pepcock rebuild issue? A stuck float...?

·
Magic Moderator
4,860 Posts
If you found fuel in the tray by the petcock, it may be bad. Ethanol ruins the rubber pieces.
If the bike has been sitting for quite some time, one of the floats could be sticking also.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Your petcock is leaking. Might not be floats as you got it started and it's not hydro-locked.
1st-Temporarily bypass the petcock, remove upper hose off gas filter(replace the filter too w/Napa #3003 @ $5), remove rear hose on right of petcock(closest to gas cap) and put it on the outlet of gas filter to bypass the petcock. plug the vacuum line. Order a rebuilt kit or replace it with an electric fuel shutoff valve.
The lag in throttle is probably clogged slow jets from sitting unused. Put a can of Seafoam in the gas tank if fresh gas in it, if old, drain out the old gas and inspect for rust through the fuel pump opening. If rusty, do an electrolysis tank cleaning. If clean, full can of Seafoam and fresh gas, full tank. Ride for 20 miles, idle for 15 minutes, watch temps don't overheat(full cooling system? Radiator and reservoir)park it for 2 days so Seafoam can do it's cleaning in the idle jets. Then ride it and post back how it's running.

Then order rebuilt kit or replacement the valve.

Electric fuel shut off valve
http://www.dan-marc.com/79-afc11112.html

Fuel Petcock Service Kit

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/158744/20457 $24

BBP Part #5-601
Rice Lake, WI - Big Bike Parts® has an alternative to replacing the entire fuel petcock assembly when your GL1500 Goldwing decides to start leaking fuel. It is a lot less expensive to change the rubber diaphragms that have most likely given way due to age. Our new Fuel Petcock Service Kit allows you to replace the Sealing Diaphragm, the Actuator Diaphragm, Compression Spring, Screws and Washers with all new components. For 1988- 2000 GL1500 Goldwing.

Fuel Petcock Service Kit For GL1500 Goldwing 1988- 2000

BBP# 5-601 Suggested List $24.95

Fuel Petcock Service Kit for Honda GL1500

www.bigbikeparts.com

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Your petcock is leaking. Might not be floats as you got it started and it's not hydro-locked.
1st-Temporarily bypass the petcock, remove upper hose off gas filter(replace the filter too w/Napa #3003 @ $5), remove rear hose on right of petcock(closest to gas cap) and put it on the outlet of gas filter to bypass the petcock. plug the vacuum line. Order a rebuilt kit or replace it with an electric fuel shutoff valve.
The lag in throttle is probably clogged slow jets from sitting unused. Put a can of Seafoam in the gas tank if fresh gas in it, if old, drain out the old gas and inspect for rust through the fuel pump opening. If rusty, do an electrolysis tank cleaning. If clean, full can of Seafoam and fresh gas, full tank. Ride for 20 miles, idle for 15 minutes, watch temps don't overheat(full cooling system? Radiator and reservoir)park it for 2 days so Seafoam can do it's cleaning in the idle jets. Then ride it and post back how it's running.

Then order rebuilt kit or replacement the valve.

Electric fuel shut off valve
http://www.dan-marc.com/79-afc11112.html

Fuel Petcock Service Kit

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/158744/20457 $24

BBP Part #5-601
Rice Lake, WI - Big Bike Parts® has an alternative to replacing the entire fuel petcock assembly when your GL1500 Goldwing decides to start leaking fuel. It is a lot less expensive to change the rubber diaphragms that have most likely given way due to age. Our new Fuel Petcock Service Kit allows you to replace the Sealing Diaphragm, the Actuator Diaphragm, Compression Spring, Screws and Washers with all new components. For 1988- 2000 GL1500 Goldwing.

Fuel Petcock Service Kit For GL1500 Goldwing 1988- 2000

BBP# 5-601 Suggested List $24.95

Fuel Petcock Service Kit for Honda GL1500

www.bigbikeparts.com

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
If the petcock is leaking you should be able to observe it by opening the fuel filler door. Based on what was posted I don't think that's a certainty. It could also be a leak from the float bowl mating surfaces (seen a bunch of those), a fuel line leak, a loose carb drain screw...etc.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
IIRC: The early petcocks are different from the later, so one 'kit' will not fix all year 1500s. As a matter of fact I contacted the sellers of the kit and they did not seem to care or attemt to answer my question about that detail; so I did not buy one.

Bill

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
If the petcock is leaking you should be able to observe it by opening the fuel filler door. Based on what was posted I don't think that's a certainty. It could also be a leak from the float bowl mating surfaces (seen a bunch of those), a fuel line leak, a loose carb drain screw...etc.
His 1st paragraph says "wet in fuel overflow area" in the OP.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
IIRC: The early petcocks are different from the later, so one 'kit' will not fix all year 1500s. As a matter of fact I contacted the sellers of the kit and they did not seem to care or attemt to answer my question about that detail; so I did not buy one.
Bill
That crossed my mind too as I saw his year listed after I posted above, but it was late and I was tired.

If they are a larger diameter inner rubber than the 90? and up, I have one of the larger kits from Wexy. I'll have to measure it for the diameter size it is.
It was sold to me from a forum member here in the states when there was the loss of the k&l kits, and I was told it fit the 98-2000, honda supposedly used up old stock petcocks according to wexy, but it doesn't fit my 99. Wexy said it should fit mine, but my petcock is a smaller diameter than the kit to which he said was the same as the early petcocks which Wexy said was put on some of the 98-2000 he has run into and so that is why he lists this kii on his website as fitting the 98-2000 petcock.
So if you need the kit for the old larger diameter rubber, let me know, I have the larger diameter kit that doesn't fit the later model petock.

·
Delvis
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pulled the bike out of the garage and opened the fuel door. It was dry. Started the bike and in a few seconds the tray was wet, followerd by fuel hitting the engine and causing the smoke off the engine. Doing the by pass for now and ordered the kit.

It should be safe to ride for a few days until the kit arrives, correct?

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Yes it should be okay to run it with the petcock bypassed until you get the parts to fix it. I wouldn't leave it that way permanently but there are some guys who have done it and have no ill effects.... yet.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Mine is bypassed(3 weeks now) until I can get the scratch to buy a kit

·
Delvis
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow I was extra lucky, I had two leaks. The petcock and right at the carburetor one of the fuel lines was leaking.

Replaced the fuel line and bypassed the Petcock for now.

Now I just have to put it all back together.

Thanks for the help and input.

·
Delvis
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Petcock kit came in and I installed it. No leaks so far. I am having trouble getting the Radio part of the false tank to sit flush. Seems like the cables are in the way.

Got it on but now the plastic inserts won't go back in due to cable running underneath the area they need to snap into.

Guess I will take it back off and see what I can do to clear the area.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Thanks for the reply that you got it fixed.
The radio harness is needing to be tucked in place. That will hold the shelter out of place.

·
Delvis
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Back on the road thatnks to all the help on here. May have a small vacuum leak, but will put a few miles on the bike with this seafoam in it before I do anything else.

Well I did need to replace the rear tire. It has plenty of tread but the sidewalls look dry rotted with a lot of small cracks visible. Tire seems solid but I don't want to take a chance.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
There are date codes on the tires. A raised box with 4 numbers at the end of the tire vin.
First 2 are the week of the year, second 2 are the year (unless it was in the 90s,then there would be three numbers)

Tires over 5 years old are trash bin time. The rubber hardens and becomes slippery and cracks.
I have seen 3 year old ME880 tires with cracks in sidewalls as well as in the tread area on a gl1100.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.