Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, I have been riding for 40+ years. Currently own V-Star 1100 and just purchased a '86 Aspencade with 30,000 miles show room condition.

It seems to have a wiggle or shake in the steering at very slow speed while turning. Also will try to shake while slowing down through 30 down to 20 mph with very light grip on bars. is this normal on the classic Gw's?

Thanks

Bob in Mississippi

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

Welcome Bob!!:waving:

Check the tightness of the steering stem.It mayneed adjustment. Also, check the stator plug!!!!!! This is a problem area on the 1200's

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, Where is stator plug located? Have owned cushmans, harleys, yamaha, other hondas but first GW ever.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Bob! If you can't find someone here who can answer your questions, then it can't be found!:waving:

Gene:clapper::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

megganads wrote:
Thanks, Where is stator plug located? Have owned cushmans, harleys, yamaha, other hondas but first GW ever.
Welcome Bob! The stator plug is just forward of the battery. There are three yellow wires coming out of the engine which go into a connector on the left side of the battery. It's common for these connectors to overheat and begin to melt. Often this causes a low voltage to the regulator due to increased resistance. The most common fix is to cut out the connector and splicing the three yellow wires with a soldered and heat shrinked connection. There also is another connector for these wires in the top cover (fake tank) that should be checked for signs of heating or connector damage. If they are okay a cleaning of the connector and replugging with a bit of dialectric grease to keep moisture away is the ticket. Do a search in the box above on stator connector oryellow wires and you will find lots of information.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Many thanks! My main concern right now is the steering wobble or shake at low speed turns/ manuvers. Maybe nature of beast but I have never felt this on the cruisers past or present.

Bob

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

:toast:Bob you may have loose or warn steering head bearings to check hold the front break and try to rock the bike back and forth and listen down by the steering head for movement in the steering head

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Another check of the steering head is to put the bike on the centerstand, slip a jack under the front of the crankcase and raise the front wheel off the ground. If the fork flops back and forth from left to right with no resistance at all, it's likely your steering head bearings need re-torqued. If the steering feels 'gritty' or 'notchy' the bearings are probably due for replacement. Other sources of your problem could be worn fork bushings, low or cruddy fork oil or a badly cupped front wheel. I had the 30-35mph wobbles recently but they disappeared when I replaced the worn tires.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Bob. You may want to double check the Tire and front fork for propper air pressure. The 1100/1200 series were also noted for for a bit of slow speed twitchiness. This is very easily compounded by low tire pressure.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Hey Bob:waving:Welcome to the forum. If the tires are old I would check them for out of round and cupping like Exavid and others suggested.

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Hello megganads! :waving: Welcome to the forum.

I recently purchased an 84 Aspencade with only 14,101 miles on it. Today, I was riding it and when I got home, parked out in the drive. A few minutes later, I walked by a window and noticed my bike sitting funny. The rear tire is completely flat. I went out aired up the tire and looked at it and could not believe the condition the tire was in. It is very rough and cupped all the way around. I decided to look at my front tire and it is nearly the same way. I too have the slight shakes when slowing down.

Point I am trying to make, my bike, like yours has very low miles for the year they are. Mine, with only 14,101 on it, figured out to only 671 miles a year. The P/O told me that he had put on 1,500 in the 1 1/2 years that he owned the bike. This tells me that the bike sat around quite a bit. I know that sitting is very bad on car tires and would imagine it is the same for motorcycle tires. I do know that there are signs of dry rought on both of my tires.

I will be replacing both tires some time next week. My life is worth far more that the price of 2 tires.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey megganads :waving: A big Irish Welcome to the Best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hi Bob and welcome. This could even be as simple as a wheel out of balance or a tyre that's too old.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

csanders67217 wrote:
I recently purchased an 84 Aspencade with only 14,101 miles on it. Today, I was riding it and when I got home, parked out in the drive. A few minutes later, I walked by a window and noticed my bike sitting funny. The rear tire is completely flat.
I will be replacing both tires some time next week. My life is worth far more that the price of 2 tires.
How lucky it waited until it was in your driveway, those Goldwings really try to keep their riders safe!

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum Bob. I am sure you will love it. I had a 1100 Vstar until I bought my 83 Naked Wing. Ienjoyed ridingthe Wing so much and my wife loved the much improved ride that the Vstar sat unused and was sold last year. The Vstar is a fine bike but after taking a trip on the Wing, I knew I would not tour on the Vstar again.:dance:

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
imported post

Welcome Bob,

Prior to my GL1800, I too rode a V-Star 1100 Classic. Never to switch back to the V-Twin.

Although I am looking into a Sport Tourer, probably the ST1300.

Nonetheless, enjoy the newer ride. Enjoy the forum. Lot's of great people on the board.

Cheers!

Ray

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Welcome Bob, :jumper:

I am a newbie to the Forum also, but have found everybody to knowledgable and very helpful, not to mention the friendliest bunch ever. Welcome to the best Forum on the planet.

Doug :11brown:

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Many many thinks to all!! Tires are new will take a look at the steering head this week. Air in front 35, rear 42. It seems to be between the triple tree and handle bars. I will dig into it within the next few days.

Bob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.