Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Thanks for all your help in advance, guys. My best friend and I want to get some cruisers for the summer time and are looking to spend $2k-$3k on a decent 80's wing. Here are the questions we have:

1. What overall type of Goldwing would you recommend as the best value?
2. Are there any models we should stay away from?
3. Any chronic problem areas to look for when shopping?
4. Where are the best places to find a nice wing? Ebay? Cycle Trader?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Hi Chris and welcome to the best forum. Steve has created a page with the history of the Goldwings and what year had what features. It seems like a number of us feel the best years are 1983 and 1984. These are the last of the 4cyl and they had a great numbers of advance features. Link brakes, trac system, self canceling turn signals and a better frame. The 83 1100 had adjustable valves where the 84 1200 where hydraulic.

Depending on how you want to ride, you can pick up a Standard, which is the strip down model, lighter weight, and better handling or go for the Interstate, which has the saddle bags. You can also get a nice Aspencade which is fully loaded with all the bells and whistle. I have both a Standard and a Aspencade. I have the Standard for sale for about 3k but it's it's loaded.

The most common problems seems to be the carbs, if you get a bike that's been sitting and the stator. Beware of bikes that look like Christmas trees. Too many lights will kill the stator.

I would prefer to find a bike through the Trader, and get a chance to ride it before I buy. Or check with you local Goldwing club. You might find one there. E bay is great for parts, but I'm not sure I would buy a whole bike on line. Others may have experience in this venue.

Take the advance riding course once you get the bike. The Goldwing is a different beast. Your dealing with around 800 to 900 pounds of bike. This is a touring bike, not a canyon racer. I use my almost every day to go to work, but I'm very respectfully of it's size and weight. This is a great bike. I know you will love it.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the help, Jerry. I was hoping that I could find an 83-84 Aspencade in my price range, I think that they look the nicest and want the most comfy ride possible.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Welcome aboard fulldresser, for my money any of the 1200 are the best looking and apparently in 87 the last year of the 1200 they worked out most if not all of the bugs. I owned a 85 Aspencade traded it in on a 05 1800 then cancelled cuz of the frame issue, but the dealer had already sold my 85 to a guy in Australia. But I did love my 85, great bike. I miss her dearly.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

[suB]"I would prefer to find a bike through the Trader, and get a chance to ride it before I buy. Or check with you local Goldwing club. You might find one there. E bay is great for parts, but I'm not sure I would buy a whole bike on line. Others may have experience in this venue."[/suB]

[suB]Chris, I wrote this yesterday, but I was looking at E-bay this morning. They may have a program that give you a guarantee on your purchase. I still prefer to see the bike in person, but this gives you another option.[/suB]

[suB]No matter what bike you buy, be prepared to spend some extra money on it. I just got the sweetest deal on a 83 Aspencade for $100.00. It was a salvage title, but in great condition. However, I still ended up spending about $1800.00 on tires, carb rebuild, timing belts and water pump, plus some misc stuff. A number on owners have the bikes up for sale since they're just sitting in the garage taking up space. Unless they haveput a fuel additive in them, the carbs are most likely gummed up. [/suB]

[suB]Last thing. What type of riding are you going to do? If you love the canyons you might consider purchasing an ST1100 or 1300. The Goldwings will run but there built for comfort and long distance, not keeping up with pocket rockets.[/suB]

[suB]Keep us posted on how your doing. This is a great place to get feedback.[/suB]

[suB]Jerry

[/suB]

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

fulldresser wrote:
Thanks for all your help in advance, guys. My best friend and I want to get some cruisers for the summer time and are looking to spend $2k-$3k on a decent wing.
Hey fulldresser :waving: Welcome to the forum :clapper: The best wing to buy is the :18red:and the $2k or $3k will do as a deposit. I ride a Honda 50 but i have the use of my neighbours :18red:when it's free.

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

Hey Chris,

Sounds like you got a bargain there. Hope you get lots of help here and make many new friends.
Best of luck with the bike,here's a pic of my baby...

Steve18:waving:

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Orange18 :waving: Welcome to the forum. :clapper:Nice :18orange:you got there but not the fastest colour. :jumper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.